NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does buying more gear really make you any happier ?

Solar B

My holiday compensation was a Dell G5 laptop! Six cores with hyperthreading!

I should have a new astro item by this friday, and it's bright yellow 😀

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

Using my kit makes me happy, if it's kit I've made myself it makes me happier, but what makes me happiest is sharing it with others.  No worries about what happens to my kit when I am gone, it just carries on without me.     🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ags said:

Close but no banana. I'll give you another clue: it does not contain any glass.

I thought it might be a newtonian daffodil, but of course they contain glass too -- just reflective glass.  I've therefore come to the conclusion that it must be Baader Optical Wonder Custard.

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Buying things makes me very happy. I won't be going on vacation so I bought an eBike a few weeks back with an extra battery to have a greater range. I am delighted with the thing.

If you have a bit of money do spend some to discover the world. If the sky is your world spend some on that. Use your mind, spend you money well and nothing but good will come of it. Work and save for later but don't forget that you also live today. 

Today I discovered a weird bicycle path going right through a farmer's fields. There were no ditches to separate the animals from the cyclists so I had cows, calves  and cow pats all around and on my path. Hundreds of each. It was quite an experience. The bike was expensive but makes me a bit happier every time I use it.

• Like 2

Buying things does not me happy per se. The results I get because I own them might (although I am more and more discovering the actuality does not live up to the anticipation), so if I think something will add to the enjoyment of my hobby, I will buy. Currently wondering if an ADC will be worth it with Jupiter and Saturn coming up to opposition ...

So so with this . I regret buying Astro gear in the past when I began and all that sparkled was thought to be essential. Now I've settled on the best gear I can afford and in that way am really happy.

Before you sit on money , remember that there's no pockets in a shroud. My parents had a huge house and money. It's now gone with mother being in a care home for ten years. They never went on holiday and had a pretty miserable life worrying about money !

We spend a right amount on holidays and trips. This has taken us to fabulous places and experiences. This has luckily included dark skies. If you really need to spend to enjoy the sky , then ensure you get to a dark sky ( when this virus has allowed).

Same for spending on our grandchildren, we have a weekly WhatsApp quiz and take their prizes ( games for indoors and the garden) around a few days later. You can spend for pleasure and memories. Sparkly things soon lose their lustre, just chill out and enjoy what you afford,

keep safe , 

Nick.

• Like 14

Weirdly I’ve recently sold some Astro stuff and clearing out had made me feel better. I’m down to the essentials in eyepieces. I still have a couple of rarely used scopes like my Meade etx 125 but although they are optically perfect, they’re a bit beat up and when I consider selling I think they won’t fetch much money and so it’s better to keep them. I’m not saying buying new gear is not good for the soul, however at the same time, minimising can be just as satisfying. 

• Like 2

I think I have come to the END of my astro spending (to first approximation)? 🥳
But then I am mostly motivated by the urge to "learn new stuff" (techniques).
One I have done that, to some level, I feel little need to constantly *upgrade*
or improve my techniques? But I am *generally* not a "competitive" person? 😎

My main vice is impatience. lol. An unwillingness to save for stuff. As a result
I have "had" to upgrade some things because "budget" stuff *really* didn't
work as well as hoped. Replacing these has cost me *more* in the long run? 🙄
(Mind you, I can usually find SOME use for this... "less than optimum" stuff!)

Edited by Macavity

On 07/06/2020 at 13:59, bomberbaz said:

Good point well made Michael. I have hardly bought anything new myself regarding eyepieces since acquiring the Nikon's. You can't improve on perfect which is how I view them.

The same way I view my tv’s, but, there’s always another focal length  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/06/2020 at 19:54, Nigella Bryant said:

We decided we won't be going on holiday this year so my partner said I could buy an 11 inch celestron xlt. So I did, lol.

Sounds like there’s a motive somewhere in there. 

• Haha 1