SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which software

Anthony1979

Yeah, most likely a connectivity, camera or power/battery problem. Avoid connecting via a hub if you can. Also, can be best to stick to usb 2.0 at the computer end. You can double check connectivity with Canon or Canon compatible software though I'm not specifically familiar with the 450d.

Louise

Just now, Anthony1979 said:

But it connects ok with qdslrdashboard

I dont use this,but the mount slewing could cause the camera connection part of the lead to move slightly causing the camera to disconnect from APT,if i remember correctly i had to close APT down and re open it to connect again,just my experience.

8 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

cant detect camera

Hi

IIRC from my windows days:

- Remove the card from the camera.

- Remove or disable all software that can 'grab' the camera before APT. You e.g. mention qdslrdashboard, but another culprit is the canon download and control software.

HTH

Edited by alacant

Have you tried shift and connect to the camera and checked it's connecting to the correct setting, digic 3 I think for the 450d, I had an issue as it was set to a newer version, I can't show you at the moment as I have a seperate astro-laptop.

APT wont detect my camera for some reason... But it worked the other day... Just dont understand why its not working now... Ive uninstalled and reinstalled it but still wont connect just keeps coming up cannot connect camera 

Edited by Anthony1979

You have got your camera in manual mode (dont know the 450d well)  if you are using APT and you have looked at the canon matrix of camera support on APT site that defines which version of the processor type is supported. https://www.ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx

If you choose the wrong matrix processor it will not work but might connect.

https://ideiki.com/astro/usersguide/starting_apt__dslr_or_ccd_cmos_.htm?ms=AAA%3D&st=MA%3D%3D&sct=MA%3D%3D&mw=MjQw

Plus requirements need to be met for APT - not normally needed.

Plus make sure you haven't loaded any software that "grabs" the Canon camera ! Normally not a problem on Windows 🙂

In extreme cases when software/OS is not set up correctly you will need to start APT in run as Administration Mode

17 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

Camera is in manual mode... setting is with canon digic 3 but nothing 

While the camera is plugged in - look in the devices (device manager) and see if there is an ! sign against the device if recognised. Plus may also show up as extra disc drive - if so can you open the "canon drive" and see your files. Presume you have a SD card inserted.

1 hour ago, Anthony1979 said:

Ive tried everything but still wont connect 

Hi again

What computer, Windows version and cable are you using? Make sure your usb cable isn't too long, is shielded, and is making good contact. If you have a short usb 2.0 cable then try that. Make sure the camera mode button is set to 'M'. I don't know the 450d - check any other settings on the camera you need to have set. Is it working ok with the Canon EOS utilities? If all else fails, try posting your problem on the APT forum.

Good luck!

Louise

If its not in manual mode APT will tell you that.... I do this al the time accidently.

What has changed since the last time it connected...have you installed anything or changed to a different USB port ?

I would suspect that something else has grabbed it and refuses to release it.

Can I just check, is it unable to connect in APT, but is visible in 'Computer Manger' in Windows - or can't Windows see it? 

You said it connects OK with qdslrdashoboard, which suggests the Windows side of things is OK... 

If this is the case, is the right version of digic being selected by APT? 

On 14/02/2020 at 10:07, Anthony1979 said:

Im using windows 10.... Also how do i view my raw files

Try searching for a programme called Darktable, its free and quite a 'powerful' (sorry been watching too much astrobackyard) photo editing tool that opens CR2 raw files, the equivalent to Adobe Lightroom (subjective statement) more or less,  that's free.

However, with most software, there is a learning curve but you can view plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

https://www.darktable.org/   <----heres the link

Edited by Andy R
<----heres the link

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

Did you get a copy of ksd291a_installer.zip ?

That's what I'd be looking for first, certainly.

I'd give it a go on my own laptop, but I've had a touch too much wine this evening to trust myself to do anything complicated with computers.

James

• Haha 1