Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Insulated trousers etc.?????

Alan White

I have had a turn of ill health this year and I have been left with Arthritic knees,
I now already feel the cold more which translates into pain, so does not bode well for winter.

What I am looking for is your ideas on insulated trousers.
I am after a normally worn but suitable insulated pair of trousers.
I wear thermals under happily, but do not wish to wear a one bit suit as I have done as
wiggling out of it when cold is now a challenge for me.

Your thoughts and images would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

My wife bought me a pair of skiing salopettes from the local charity shop.  They're a sort of "bib & braces" design, but easy enough to wriggle out of or unclip the braces.

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Like 3

I feel the cold and work outdoors in the winter in NW Scotland - in moderately cold weather (around freezing) I wear 'winter lined' walking trousers, down to -5/-10 a pair of womens woolly tights under the winter lined trousers and colder than -10 or windy conditions a pair of ski trousers over the top of the winter lined pants and womens tights. Plenty warm enough. I have bad circulation in my legs but still manage with the above.

Agree with above about Sealskin socks - they make a big difference.

Also a really good hat makes a big difference to general comfort levels as does a scarf.

• Like 2

Thanks folks, all good pointers, at present I do wrap up well, Merino wool sock, fingerless glove/mitten with Silk inner liners, diving thermals etc, and was wearing an all in one Fishing suit over the top on long or cold nights.

I am specifically wanting direct recommendations for insulated trousers here.

AsI find the suit literally a pain now due to both my knees being wrecked by infection earlier this year,

not as flexible as they were 6 months ago.

I also wear thermal long johns under lined walking trousers bought in Mountain Warehouse. They're pretty cheap. I've got a couple of pairs. Walking trousers have lots of pockets for mobile phone, chewing gum, tissues, and somewhere to put lens caps.  Thick socks are essential. 

Top half I wear T shirt, long sleeved  thermal vest, long sleeve poloneck, thick woollen jumper and fleece or lined coat if it's really cold. Oh, and woolly hat. 

Something I've found is not to get cold before I put all the clobber on. It's difficult to get warm once you're cold. So I tend to start off wearing more than I need. It's easier to take outer clothing off if necessary. 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 18:39, banjaxed said:

You could try fleece lined trousers as they are very warm and are easily to wear.

This is what I tend to use for winter observing sessions.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

I also wear thermal long johns under lined walking trousers bought in Mountain Warehouse. They're pretty cheap. I've got a couple of pairs. Walking trousers have lots of pockets for mobile phone, chewing gum, tissues, and somewhere to put lens caps.  Thick socks are essential.

I also got my fleece lined trousers from Mountain Warehouse a pair that are more like chino material and another pair that are proper quick drying walking trousers. 

When it gets really cold (for a southerner at least) I put ski pants over the top. 

The fleece lined walking trousers are like normal trousers so nice and flexible and easy to get on and off. 

• Like 2

For me it's my feet that go numb first. When it's cold I use thermals under my trousers to help  and when it's really cold I also put on skiing over trousers. Then over trousers are very easy to get on/off - it's a case of finding a design that does make it easy.

But interestingly I've found that making sure my head doesn't get cold is very helpful for to keep my legs and feet warm!

• Like 1

This might sound odd Alan but have a look at some microwavable heat pads that are designed for knees and elbows. 

Also the wrap round ones that are good for the lower back. They dissipate heat slowly over time and warm the whole body.

If you get the lavender scented ones you can look a cool guy and smell gorgeous at the same time 😎

Dave.

• Like 3

For observing, and really cold weather, I've been wearing thermal combats with thermal tights on underneath. They did quite well in Iceland a couple of years ago. They're just pull on and go, and have plenty of pockets.

Most of my family are bikers, and several of them wear the protective padded jeans instead of leathers. They look like regular jeans but a bit thicker. I don't know if they have insulating properties, but might be worth investigating too

• Like 2