Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Paying for Apt

solarboy

Hi guys 

I've just downloaded Apt. 

Not sure what I'm doing with it yet but I'm sure I will get the hang of it. 

The question I'm asking has anyone paid for it and if so what is the difference I. E. what other features do get for your money. 

Regards Solarboy. 

Edited by solarboy
  • Like 1

APT is a great program and very easy to use.  I think they are exceptionally kind and nearly everything important is available in the free version.

According to their website the following are additional things available on the fully licensed version.

Additional features of the FULL version :

• Ours thankfulness about your appreciation for the involved in APT work and support!

• Automatic EOS Lens focusing (using FWHM or HFD) - built into the Lens Panel. Never implemented in astro program before!
  • Framing Masks - a multi session aid to help orienting the camera by same angle and position during multiple nights or after meridian flip. Never implemented in astro program before!
  • Ability to store PointCarft results in Object Browser for future use in different nights or after meridian flip.
  • Ability to show only the currently visible stars in the Object Browser for easier selection of alignment stars.
  • Ability to show only the currently visible objects in the Object Browser.
  • Ability to configure APT to check if the target is above the horizon before every GoTo or GoTo++.
  • Ability to schedule plan execution for beginning of Deep Sky Darkness (DSD).
  • Powerful and easy to use Commands/Script Editor for imaging session automation.
  • Notifications for refocusing when the temperature changes or closing dew point to avoid un-needed heating (requires
    TEMPer(Gold) or TEMPerHUM or focuser with temperature sensor).
  • HD Video recording for Digic IV cameras from the Planetary panel. Requires lens or T-ring with focus confirmation.
  • Support for Lunatico GNS - Good Night System to get alarm for problem with the imaging session on your smartphone

I don't think there was anything in the paid version I required but was happy to pay what is less than £20 as I thought it was more than reasonable and would have paid more for a very useful bit of software.

I cannot compare it to others such as sequence generator as of yet I have not used them. I downloaded SG and meant to give it a go with the free fully functioning trial as I do believe it is a bit more flexible but APT has done all I ever needed to so still with it. The ease of plate solving was revolutionary for me made things sooooo much easier to get the target I wanted framed just as I wanted it.

The help file is also pretty thorough.

Steve

• Like 1

Believe the time unlimited 'free' (demo) version requires you to be connected to the internet. The paid version is able to be used offline. I could be thinking of BackyardEOS though. I know one of them I couldn't use out at the dark site due to no internet connection. It's so inexpensive though, it's worth the money to support the creator. After the initial purchase, I think a renewal is only $6USD per year. Pretty cheap to me.

Edited by Buzzard75
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Buzzard75 said:

Believe the time unlimited 'free' (demo) version requires you to be connected to the internet. The paid version is able to be used offline. I could be thinking of BackyardEOS though. I know one of them I couldn't use out at the dark site due to no internet connection. It's so inexpensive though, it's worth the money to support the creator. After the initial purchase, I think a renewal is only $6USD per year. Pretty cheap to me.

Not correct, I am never on the net when I use it.

Alan

• Like 2

Just now, alan potts said:

Tell you tomorrow, I've used it 2 years, Evo lives in Sofia the same country where I live, so I feel I ought to pay him, it is a hell of a program for what amount to 15 quid, I feel we should all cough up.

Alan

That was my thoughts after using it for only an hour or two. 

Steve

• Like 2

Below PLUS support via Forum - anyone not paying  the annual fee should be put up against a wall and LOL 🙂

• Ours thankfulness about your appreciation for the involved in APT work and support!

• Automatic EOS Lens focusing (using FWHM or HFD) - built into the Lens Panel. Never implemented in astro program before!
  • Framing Masks - a multi session aid to help orienting the camera by same angle and position during multiple nights or after meridian flip. Never implemented in astro program before!
  • Ability to store PointCarft results in Object Browser for future use in different nights or after meridian flip.
  • Ability to show only the currently visible stars in the Object Browser for easier selection of alignment stars.
  • Ability to configure APT to check if the target is above the horizon before every GoTo or GoTo++.
  • Powerful and easy to use Commands/Script Editor for imaging session automation.
  • Notifications for refocusing when the temperature changes or closing dew point to avoid un-needed heating (requires
  • HD Video recording for Digic IV cameras from the Planetary panel. Requires lens or T-ring with focus confirmation.
  • Support for Lunatico GNS - Good Night System to get alarm for problem with the imaging session on your smartphone.
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, alan potts said:

Not correct, I am never on the net when I use it.

Alan

You are correct, sir. As I said, I was thinking of BackyardEOS. I just remembered one of them didn't work offline for the demo, just couldn't remember which.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stash_old said:

Below PLUS support via Forum - anyone not paying  the annual fee should be put up against a wall and LOL 🙂

• Support for Lunatico GNS - Good Night System to get alarm for problem with the imaging session on your smartphone.

You drive a hard bargain Stash Old, but as you solved my EQmod problems I will over look it.😀

Alan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paid user here too.

The only issue I had with APT was connecting to the planetarium software, Stellarium. To be honest though I think that was rather a Stellarium/me issue than APT so in the end I chose to use Cartes du Ciel and have never looked back. If I recall correctly, Ivo actually extended an extra month free on the licence earlier this year......it was cloudy so never got used :) 

I have played around with the idea of using Sequence Generator Pro, but once you get used to APT, changing is very hard when everything works........and once you do your first plate solve, you will chuck away that finderscope and wonder what the hell you have been doing on your hands and knees star aligning every time you go outside at night.

John

• Like 3

I used to use it, and paid for it.

The author hasn't created this to get rich, although I hope he's getting some reward from it. It's an impressive piece of software and a massive amount of work has gone into it and it continues to be developed and improved all the time.

It's a bargain at the price it is, comparing it to other software I'd class it's worth in the £100+ price bracket.  If you use it, and can afford it, do the decent thing and pay for it, it's only the price of a few pints of beer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Danjc said:

I thought of it like this, it wasn’t what I got extra for paying for it it was what I got as a great software package so cheap 👍🏻

My thought too. I use apt from the very start of my astrophotography attempts. I tried backyard eos first for a few days and then moved to apt.  Now i need to renew my subscription :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I use APT and pay for it. It's a great piece of software. Appreciate the time and effort Ivo puts in it. 

+ 1. I have and use it. Great and inexpensive. Hope Ivo keeps giving as new releases!!!

• Like 3

On 05/09/2019 at 05:50, Hughsie said:

Paid user here too.

The only issue I had with APT was connecting to the planetarium software, Stellarium. To be honest though I think that was rather a Stellarium/me issue than APT so in the end I chose to use Cartes du Ciel and have never looked back. If I recall correctly, Ivo actually extended an extra month free on the licence earlier this year......it was cloudy so never got used :) 

I have played around with the idea of using Sequence Generator Pro, but once you get used to APT, changing is very hard when everything works........and once you do your first plate solve, you will chuck away that finderscope and wonder what the hell you have been doing on your hands and knees star aligning every time you go outside at night.

John

I'm a paid user but I only use it, infrequently, with my dslr and tracking mount. The rest of the time I use a ccd with Maxim dl. It's excellent for dslr imaging. I couldn't get it to work with Cartes du Ciel and had to get Stellarium instead!

Edited by Anne S
Typo
  • Like 1

I think you've probably got the message by now... I have renewed each  year, Ivo is very accessible, if something doesn't work, he fixes it, and if you want a new feature he's happy to add it to the list if it makes logical sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1