Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.



Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

165 Excellent

About Hughsie

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Interests
    Football (Spurs), F1, fishing, long walks, real ale and a good book.
  • Location
    UK, North Essex
  1. Hughsie

    M33 - RGB

    Beautiful capture. Thank you for sharing.
  2. Hughsie

    Soul nebula

    Great image, love those shades of blue. Thank you for sharing
  3. Hughsie

    M31 very first attempt

    Following the feedback and some more reading on the web, I downloaded the trial version of Pixinsight just to see if I could remove the green hue then took it back into Photoshop and processed the remainder of the image there. Must admit, I do like the look of Pixinsight and fortunately/unfortunately I have damaged a tendon in my foot which means no weekend chores for me so I can review the Pixinsight tutorials much to my wife's annoyance!
  4. Hughsie

    M31 very first attempt

    Thank you Happy Kat. The more I keep staring at it the more I see green lol. Startools looks interesting and I will run the original TIF through it when I have some time at the weekend.
  5. Hughsie

    M31 very first attempt

    Thanks Olly. Unfortunately I process with Photoshop on a Mac and so PixInsight SCNR looks out and HLVG is a Windows product. So from what i have read about both I look doomed! Will have to keep working at that white balance and RGB alignment.
  6. Hughsie

    M31 very first attempt

    Interesting John, because it was horribly green after stacking. I undertook a white balance adjustment which cleared it up quite a bit. Thank you for the feedback.
  7. Hughsie

    M31 very first attempt

    Thank you Michael.
  8. Hughsie

    M31 very first attempt

    This is my first image of the Andromeda Galaxy taken through a telescope. There is some trailing so I will need to be more careful when polar aligning, however, the imaging was also unguided just relying on my AVX mount. Image details as follows; 29 Light Frames @ 90 seconds taken on Tuesday 10 September - No moon and Bortle 4 sky. ISO 1600. Dark Frames x 5. Taken with a Canon T3i Rebel through a William Optics Z61 and Flattener. Software - APT, DSS and Photoshop. Better polar alignment needed and more data collected, both lights, darks and flats will improve the image but overall I am pretty pleased with 43 minutes (I was in a hurry!) Thanks for checking in. John
  9. Have recently downloaded Astrophotography Tool and took a clear night opportunity to explore the software and its features. Didn't actually have much time dedicated to imaging as I was getting used to Plate Solving, Aim and Goto++ so was just snapping away at various targets with a 3rd hand Canon T3i Rebel attached to my William Optics Z61. It amazes me how good that little scope is. Here is a single 120s frame at ISO 800 of M15. All I have done is a levels adjustment and reduce star size - the rest is that little scope and camera. Thanks for checking in. John
  10. Hughsie

    M13, first attempt at a deep sky object

    Hi Pete. Yes I have Backyard Nikon so 30s subs ok but can’t seem to do anything longer. Got a third hand Canon T3i arriving tomorrow so problem solved and will revert back to APT.
  11. Hughsie

    M13, first attempt at a deep sky object

    Apt doesn’t allow you to complete a photo plan for a Nikon D90 for exposures over 30 seconds.
  12. Having spent some time using my Nikon D90 on a fixed tripod to take wide field images, last night I moved on and took the image below using my DSLR, William Optics Z61 combined with the field flatter on a polar aligned AVX mount. Using APT to sight and frame the cluster, I then switched to an intervalometer so I could capture 2 minute subs. Overall there are 37 lights combined with 5 darks and 10 flats, then stacked in DSS and processed through Photoshop. Would welcome any feedback. Cheers, John
  13. Hughsie

    Todays Prom Action 13-9-18

    Great shots. Sadly nowhere near a scope but brilliant to see all the activity.
  14. Hughsie

    my first ever image of anything

    Love it. The last few months the neighbors have regularly seen me outside with my head in a box and a black sheet over my head. If only they could see what we can see! Keep up the great work.
  15. Hughsie

    Copernics, first light session

    That Wouter is a fantastic image. Damn fine picture, well done Sir.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.