NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings

DarkLane

After a very disappointing start in 2013 which tested my resolve to stargaze at all, I am finally in a position and place to begin all over again. I got my trusty beginner telescope (nothing fancy, celestron powerseeker 114eq),  my maps, a good stool, log books, and coffee! 

I don´t know if there´s anyone else on here from Iceland but the latitude tests an amateur astronomer with only 6 months of viewing time, so I´ve been using my summer to plan out my strategy for Sept, Oct and Nov.  Plenty to see if the weather holds. I´m looking forward to seeing the stars again.

• Like 3

Hi @DarkLaneand welcome to SGL. :hello2:

quote: "After a very disappointing start in 2013 which tested my resolve to stargaze at all, I am finally in a position and place to begin all over again. I got my trusty beginner telescope (nothing fancy, celestron powerseeker 114eq),  my maps, a good stool, log books, and coffee!..." end of quote

...do they sell Jaffa Cakes in Iceland? :evil62:

Edited by Philip R

Darklane

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

John

PS

Early next year, NASA is sending another Rover to Mars

The attached link will enable you to register, to have your name included on the Rover, and download a Boarding Pass

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-invites-public-to-submit-names-to-fly-aboard-next-mars-rover

Thanks all, a very warm welcome. 
@Dinglem :  I will definitely bring patience along on my sojourn, either that or a really warm blanket.

@Philip R : I have heard of these "Jaffa Cakes" but they don't look like cakes. I prefer my dried haddock fillets and butter....

@cletrac1922:  Thanks for the tip on the Rover, always looking for a way to gain posterity :)

Edited by DarkLane

Jaffa Cakes are part of the 'staple diet' for some amatuer astronomers at star-parties and other astro-gatherings here in UK/GB.

We also have a supermarket chain called 'Iceland'.

reading-united-kingdom-september-01-2018-the-entrance-to-the-iceland-frozen-food-supermarket-on-rushey-way-in-lower-earley-PJ0FXK.jpg.1713f6f52d68666265a624769b9c2254.jpg

Edited by Philip R

@Philip R had a good chuckle at that, Iceland the store, yes we are selling bits off every day...

@Demonperformer this is what I love about astronomy, so much to see for a very, very, very long time....

@MarsG76 Not yet Mars, sunrise is still around the clock where I am, it is starting to get mildly dark at about 3 in the morning but not enough to see stars yet

Once again, thanks for the welcome. I will have load of questions as I bumble through

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I´m afraid that Reykjavík suffers from the same kind of light pollution that a lot of other big cities do but I don´t need to go too far to get to decent skies (about 40 minute drive to a dark-sky spot). That´s the decent trade-off for having a small population. It is fairly rare to see the Aurora inside the city limits but it does happen sometimes

Welcome Dark Lane. I’m observing from similar latitudes in Sweden, a few degrees more south probably. I’ve been surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed observing under summer evening skies. Jupiter, Saturn and the moon have offered pleasing views and the occasional bright double star added a bit of deep sky to the mix. Give it a go if you get the chance. Perhaps the planets are too low in the sky for you this year but it gets better in years to come.

Summer evenings added the fun aspect of public outreach to the experience as well. Lots of curious people stopping to ask about the scope and take a peek at the moon. Not as much interest from the public on bitterly cold and dark winter nights let me tell you. 

Welcome (back)!

Seems you've been busy planning ahead which in the challenging conditions you describe will no doubt serve you well. Looking forward to hearing some stories about your views from Iceland...