Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to the forum

Sean90

Just wanted to say hello to the members ? Pretty new to hobby, i don't own a telescope at the moment but I do have an EQ5 mount that will go with one eventually when I have decided which type to buy. Also I'm from the Rotherham/Barnsley area and was wondering if any other users were also. Thanks and look forward to the help and advice that will be given to me. 

Welcome to SGL Sean!

Yes, it’s worth giving some thought to the best scope for you. You’re also lucky to live near one the bigger astronomy shops (Rother Valley Optics), so you may want to go and have a nose-around. Buying online is great, but seeing the real thing is super helpful.

Thanks. RVO is a well known shop to me it is where I bought the mount from a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knew where the closest dark skies were to me. I know I have an observatory close to me but our skies are around bortle 5-6 here and was looking for better skies so I could go and just have an eye visual look before I decided on the scope. 

12 hours ago, Sean90 said:

Thanks. RVO is a well known shop to me it is where I bought the mount from a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knew where the closest dark skies were to me. I know I have an observatory close to me but our skies are around bortle 5-6 here and was looking for better skies so I could go and just have an eye visual look before I decided on the scope. 

A colleague of mine likes to head from Barnsley to the Dales. It depends how far you want to drive. It’s pretty good here near Ripon, especially to the West, Bortle 4 or 3 if you can stretch to Swaledale.

18 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

A colleague of mine likes to head from Barnsley to the Dales. It depends how far you want to drive. It’s pretty good here near Ripon, especially to the West, Bortle 4 or 3 if you can stretch to Swaledale.

Thank you all for the kind welcome. Driving distance isn't the problem it's just knowing safe places to go. 

Hello Sean,and welcome to SGL, I use a Skywatcher 200p with my Eq5, l love my set up, gives

me a great deal of pleasure, and wonderful views, I added motors to mine, which I find a very

valuable add on, whatever scope you choose enjoy yourself, that's what the hobby is all about.

Clear Sky's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived