Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Nice collection there, Derek. Your wallet might sense some danger when there's a empty spot in the case :grin:

It's worse than it looks - I cropped two more empty spaces out of the picture so that I can pretend they aren't there! :help:

• Like 3

Michael,

Solar

Bit of  tricky one because I have the option to switch between scopes for white light and Ha due to my dual set up.

The Lunt zoom is nearly always present in one of the scopes,

I use the 9mm SLV for Ha if I want the best view for longer periods of time.

The 6mm SLV is brilliant for white light. slightly better than the 9mm SLV

The zoom has 3  main uses - it does both of the above very well and with the 2+ degrees coverage delivered by the Equinox it is great for locating the sun in white light (my set up is purely manual)

Lunar / DSO

The zoom is almost redundant with the exception of lunar viewing where it performs very well.

I use the whole range of SLV's dependant on the target type (my max mag = 200 and max coverage  = 2.5 degrees)

So in answer to your question the SLV's are my clearly first choice, but the Lunt is a very capable all rounder :laugh:

Derek,

Nice collection there, I rather like the T4's from Televue though I only have one, the 12mm and that may well go soon. There is not much between the 13mm T6 and the 12mm in cost but with the 12mm you feel you are getting your money's worth. Now all we need to do is spend some more of your money to fill the holes, 3 of them you say?

Alan

Derek,

Now all we need to do is spend some more of your money to fill the holes, 3 of them you say?

Alan

I've decided to stick with this set for a while for my Dob and CPC so any money I spend now will go on my grab-n-go frac and a set of TV Plossls - I've just picked up the 11mm.

Derek,

I have that one on my to get list, the 11mm and maybe the 8mm. I read an interesting report by someone on SGL about the TV Plossl and thought I must see this myself, reported the colours come across better on Planets like Jupiter. I will have to wait a while as it is not best placed now.

Alan.

Derek,

I have that one on my to get list, the 11mm and maybe the 8mm. I read an interesting report by someone on SGL about the TV Plossl and thought I must see this myself, reported the colours come across better on Planets like Jupiter. I will have to wait a while as it is not best placed now.

Alan.

I've found TV plossls very good all round eyepieces with high transmission levels. I've read that their "tone" particularly suits some objects such as Jupiter although I've never been particularly aware of this "tone" personally. They do seem to be slightly "warmer" than some eyepieces such as Baader GO's and Pentax XW's so that must be it.

Of course it raises the spectre of the really keen eyepiece collector having not only a wide set and a low glass, narrower set but also a Jupiter set, Mars set, Saturn set, Lunar set etc, etc. I see that solar sets are creeping in as well - where will it all end ? :rolleyes2:  :smiley:

• Like 1

Alan,

i can confirm that the "coffee" warm tone of TV plossls will work nicely on Jupiter and will tweak out a bit more extra detail in comparison to other similar kind plossls,but that is as far as it goes.There will be no advantage of that coloring on any other object,but no disadvantage either.Like marmite,you either love it or hate it :D

If you are trying to build a collection of TV plossls,try sourcing the smoothside  version Circle NJ ones.they are the best ones of the bunch.Not that they come up for sale that often.Last full set of them sold for 1000 USD,but that one had all of them there and was in superb shape for they age.Single Eps pop up time to time and get snatched up practically immediately, and a  few focal length are quite rare to come by.Newer versions are great too and are more easier to come by for possibly a bit less pennies.

Alan,

i can confirm that the "coffee" warm tone of TV plossls will work nicely on Jupiter and will tweak out a bit more extra detail in comparison to other similar kind plossls,but that is as far as it goes.There will be no advantage of that coloring on any other object,but no disadvantage either.Like marmite,you either love it or hate it :D

If you are trying to build a collection of TV plossls,try sourcing the smoothside  version Circle NJ ones.they are the best ones of the bunch.Not that they come up for sale that often.Last full set of them sold for 1000 USD,but that one had all of them there and was in superb shape for they age.Single Eps pop up time to time and get snatched up practically immediately, and a  few focal length are quite rare to come by.Newer versions are great too and are more easier to come by for possibly a bit less pennies.

We do see things a little differently I reckon "Dude"  :smiley:

I used to have a set of the NJ "smoothside" TV Plossls (except the 55mm) and a set of the newer shaped ones, with the rubber eye cups (again less the 55mm). They were both very good ranges but I felt the newer ones had greater light transmission and slightly less light scatter.  

Still, lets see what Alan makes of them !  :smiley:

Oh, god. I have just bought a 2" 40m widefield, albeit for £80. the money for my Lunt is starting to burn a hole in my pocket although I still have enough in my pot for now!

It gives me 1.4 degrees approx. in my big dob albeit at an exit pupil of a whopping 8.8mm. might be OK at dark sites.

it will be interesting to use it in my 6" f11 for 1.6 degrees (3.6mm exit pupil) although balancing may be tricksy as it weighs about the same as a 31mm Nagler.

For the money it was worth a punt I think as I've always wanted to try a widest 2" field eyepiece despite the exit pupil issues. I'll report back when I have managed to use it for a bit.

From a dark site it will be interesting to use it with my 130mm f5 giving over 4 degrees (exit pupil 8mm) at 16x or with my 6" f5 (3.5 degrees and 18x) with an Oiii and the Veil. in the case of the latter though I'll need to get around to fitting the 2" focuser I have lined up for it.

There's something heady in the air here ...

Dude, you're round the corner from me, somewhere near (Banchory-Devenick?); Shane, I've no idea of your locus; and John you are a-w-a-a-y down there, far from me. But you folks are moving the atmosphere with these whiffs of the esoteric. I'm on the sideline, listening to the music.

Play on, play on ...