NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Hmmm ? ? ?,  13 Ethos on a Telementor.    :cool:  

Mark (at Beaufort) posted a pic of an Ethos 13 in a PST a couple of years back. The eyepiece was larger than the scope !. It worked rather well though I believe :smiley:

Worryingly, I'm moving dangerously close to the point when I can say I have all the eyepieces I need.

Nice collection :smiley: and yes, you're just one or two holes away from pronouncing the magic words - about this case :grin:  

• Like 2

With thanks for the recent advice, yesterday I added a 2" WO diagonal and TV Panoptic 35 to the arsenal. Worryingly, I'm moving dangerously close to the point when I can say I have all the eyepieces I need.

All the eyepieces you need? I thought that was a contradiction in terms. ;)

Nice case, even nicer contents

All the eyepieces you need? I thought that was a contradiction in terms. ;)

This is similar to a discussion I have with my wife whenever we reminisce about our holidays to the USA when our kids were young. Mrs T remembers many restaurants as being described as "Eat All You Want" or "Eat All You Need" whereas I remember them as the more challenging "Eat As Much As You Can".

My approach to EP buying appears to follow a similar philosophy :grin:

With thanks for the recent advice, yesterday I added a 2" WO diagonal and TV Panoptic 35 to the arsenal. Worryingly, I'm moving dangerously close to the point when I can say I have all the eyepieces I need.

Very nice although I think a Pentax XW or Delos 10mm should replace the hyperion  :evil:

Steve

This my first yearly update of the case, lt looked like this last time, and here is it, after over 20 trips to dark site, nearly 300 new DSO (over 100 galaxies among those)

post-30887-0-22853400-1447501785_thumb.j

The updgrades(new additions):

post-30887-0-59374500-1447501875_thumb.j

Considering the discussions of undercuts, here're pictures of barrel shapes of mine:

With safety undercut:

post-30887-0-07846500-1447502053_thumb.j

Smooth barrel:

post-30887-0-95301800-1447502117_thumb.j

Bevel barrel:

post-30887-0-73235400-1447502167_thumb.j

• Like 3

YKSE, how do you like the NIKON's? I saw those on the website when I bought mine although you got the superwides. I notice they are a little cheaper ;-)

I still have not had chance to give mine a decent workout due to holidays and appalling weather. Most frustrating

YKSE, how do you like the NIKON's? I saw those on the website when I bought mine although you got the superwides. I notice they are a little cheaper ;-)

I still have not had chance to give mine a decent workout due to holidays and appalling weather. Most frustrating

Steve,

I got these Nikons when Swedish kronor was 10% stronger to Yen then :smiley:

They're quite good to my eye, Vega is as pin sharp in the edge as in the center in 120ED, very good stray light control (Moon is invible outside field of view), scatter light on Jupiter is in level with 18mm BCO. very little latteral colour seen in daytime, clearly less than MaxVisions; very little rectilinear distortion, the slight barrel distorion is only seen in 17.5mm pointing at telepost in daytime. Angular Magnification distortion in these EP does make splitting doubles in the edge more difficult, this is none issue for me though since I prefer to observ on-axis where aberrations are minimum. The extra field is good for star-hopping, the distortion type (AMD) suit me better to match star patterns with star chart.

17.5mm SW has 26mm ER! it's quite smaller without the eye cup:

post-30887-0-61066300-1447520506_thumb.j

Using 17.5SW without eye cup, you get the same floating effect which 28mmRKE is famed for, but its much easier to hold the view in Nikon.

Edit: forgot to mention it, they're par-focal, and par-focal with Pentax XW too :smiley:

Edited by YKSE
  • Like 1

The Hyperions are nice eyepieces, well made and thoughtfully designed. They perform well in scopes from F/7 and slower. They do show astigmatism in faster scopes than this and really quite a lot when the focal ratio gets down to F/5 or faster. When they originally came onto the market they caused quite a stir. There is a lot more competition in the 60-70 degree eyepiece niche now though.

• Like 1

Steve,

I got these Nikons when Swedish kronor was 10% stronger to Yen then :smiley:

They're quite good to my eye, Vega is as pin sharp in the edge as in the center in 120ED, very good stray light control (Moon is invible outside field of view), scatter light on Jupiter is in level with 18mm BCO. very little latteral colour seen in daytime, clearly less than MaxVisions; very little rectilinear distortion, the slight barrel distorion is only seen in 17.5mm pointing at telepost in daytime. Angular Magnification distortion in these EP does make splitting doubles in the edge more difficult, this is none issue for me though since I prefer to observ on-axis where aberrations are minimum. The extra field is good for star-hopping, the distortion type (AMD) suit me better to match star patterns with star chart.

17.5mm SW has 26mm ER! it's quite smaller without the eye cup:

attachicon.gifMV24_SW175_SW14.jpg

Using 17.5SW without eye cup, you get the same floating effect which 28mmRKE is famed for, but its much easier to hold the view in Nikon.

Edit: forgot to mention it, they're par-focal, and par-focal with Pentax XW too :smiley:

I think I might check out the 14mm NAV-SW if I want to replace the 14mm Morpheus (which was not quite sharp at the edge at F/6)

ok so mention this and

So its your fault Steve???....

hahaha, maybe

I think I might check out the 14mm NAV-SW if I want to replace the 14mm Morpheus (which was not quite sharp at the edge at F/6

And so I'll get the blame for the need to spend more money here eh michael :grin:

tbh I would love to try one out myself, looks a lovely well made eyepiece.

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably my 4th picture of my case on this thread, Moved on my SW Nirvanas and WO SPL's keeping only my WO zoom then adding the 3 ES 100 degree EPs

post-12367-0-24081400-1449011161_thumb.j

My 3rd picture was going to be my final*** case layout but this is it this time.....  :rolleyes:

*** With my current scope anyway, and I've NO plans to change it  :p

Edited by Lorne
  • Like 1