Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I have just 'completed' my eyepiece set yet again with the purchase of a 15mm Panoptic. I have wanted to try one of these for a while and feel it will fill a genuine gap (I actually feel like it's too big a jump sometimes from my 17.3mm Delos to my 11mm Delite). Will be interesting to see how it performs. Reviews suggest the eye relief is tight but I suspect probably will be about the same as my old 15mm TV plossl. Worst case scenario will be keep my eyes open for a 14mm Radian or maybe even a 15mm Delite (if TV release one) in the future if it's not a good match.

• Like 2

"I have just 'completed' my eyepiece set yet again...."

Great choice of words Shane :grin:

Sounds like a well balanced set now though :smiley:

I'm looking forward to seeing what new FL Delite's are launched as well.

Congratulations on your latest completion, Shane - I'm sure it won't last too long :wink:

I must say now that my Ethos purchases are complete I am struggling to know what else would add anything useful to the case. I did wonder if a couple of Panoptics to break up the 21mm, 31mm and 41mm set would be useful but I'm not sure I would get sufficient use out of having so many low powered EPs.

Food for thought.

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

I'll upload a pic once it arrives next week. I think I am more or less there though now:

26mm Nagler widest field/2"

24mm Panoptic widest field/1.25"

17.3mm Delos

15mm Panoptic

11mm Delite

8mm Delos

7mm Delite

6-3mm Nagler zoom

Looking again though I may eventually replace the 8mm Delos with a 9mm Delite (yet another assumption!). The Delites really are excellent. I prefer the 7mm to the 8mm Delos for sure.

• Like 1

I have just 'completed' my eyepiece set yet again with the purchase of a 15mm Panoptic. I have wanted to try one of these for a while and feel it will fill a genuine gap (I actually feel like it's too big a jump sometimes from my 17.3mm Delos to my 11mm Delite). Will be interesting to see how it performs. Reviews suggest the eye relief is tight but I suspect probably will be about the same as my old 15mm TV plossl. Worst case scenario will be keep my eyes open for a 14mm Radian or maybe even a 15mm Delite (if TV release one) in the future if it's not a good match.

Shane - I had the opportunity to spend half an hour with the 15mm Panoptic on Friday night. The eye relief is fairly tight - same as the Plossl at 10mm - but it felt more comfortable than that. With the eyeguard turned down - and the extra 18mm AFOV and superb optics - it wasn't a problem.

Cool - I am looking forward to getting it. I don't have a problem with short eye relief and suspect it will be more comfy than a 15mm plossl which was always OK in truth. Always had a soft spot for Panoptics, maybe even my much used 17.3 Delos might be at risk via the 19mm!

I am not surprised you find the jump from a 17.3mm Delos to an 11mm a bit big. I always found the jump between the Naglers 17T4 and 12T4 a bit big (hence the purchase of a 14mm Morpheus. I am not sure that is a keeper, however. Decidedly softer at the edges at F/6 (:cussing: seagulls!). I haven't had a chance to use it in my SCT yet (:cussing: clouds!), where it might be OK. If not, the quest for a 14-15mm UWA with good eye relief continues

• Like 1

...hence the purchase of a 14mm Morpheus. I am not sure that is a keeper, however. Decidedly softer at the edges at F/6 ( :cussing: seagulls!). .....

I'm a bit surprised at that result from the Morpeus at F/6 Michael.

They sound like a modest step up from the Hyperion rather than the large leap that the early reviews suggested ?

I'm a bit surprised at that result from the Morpeus at F/6 Michael.

They sound like a modest step up from the Hyperion rather than the large leap that the early reviews suggested ?

I think it is more field curvature (EP not scope) than astigmatism, perhaps, looking back at my report here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/255999-morpheus-14mm-under-the-stars-finally-shoot-out-with-naglers/?hl=%2Bmorpheus+%2B14mm

The Morpheus is nice, but not in XW/Delos league at the edge of the FOV at F/6

Michael,

I personally think you could do a lot worse than the 14mm Delos in view of you having to wear glasses. The old Meade 5K 14mm would be nice but that again would be tight for you with the ER.

Alan

I had the Meade S5K 14mm, and sold it due to the (slightly) tight ER. The Delos 14mm and XW14 are top contenders. I might even ditch the 12T4 and replace that by a Delos 12 as well

While no doubt an excellent eyepiece, I believe the Pentax XW14 has some field curvature. The range is not "scaled" so the shorter focal length ones (10mm and less) show slightly different characteristics to the longer ones. From what I've read the 14mm Delos shows a flatter field.

I bet your nose has grown Derek. Coincidental, a likely story.

My nose ought to be longer than Derek's I think  :embarrassed: - having put forward a decently convincing argument for not buying an Ethos 4.7 in this thead:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/260164-televue-ethos-47mm/

What did I do when a pre-owned one popped up at a decent price ? :icon_rolleyes:

My resolve crumbled like a sandcastle hit by a wave .......

• Like 1

I would be happy to try an XW14 / Delos14 comparison at SGL11 if anyone is bringing a Delos 14? The XW14 and XW20 aren't as flat as the shorter focal lengths but they still have phenomenal light throughput and I find them very comfortable to use. 

John,

Congratualtions, I am now the colour of the eyepieces, green and I have a black top on.

Nice one you talked me out of buying one two or three times, we have both been hovering over the buy button for a long time. Well when the free clouds have gone and you get a clear night or two aroundabout May will you do the site review? I will then start all over again wanting one.

Alan

To get your revenge, you can remind me about my comments above when the new Delites are announced (hopefully not too soon as I need to save for a bit!). Then again if a Moonlite frac focuser comes up sometime or a Newt dual speed etc when I have the money available, I will be like space - no resistance....................

• Like 1