Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

wow what are those docter's, they look really nice  :Envy:

The Docter eyepieces are 12.5mm, and are the best Bino viewing eyepieces that I have ever tried.

Superb contrasting views, great eye relief, and easy to look around the field of view.

Those are serious good glasses :smiley:  Have you been able to get a first light with L-O-A 21?

They only came a few days ago, and I'm waiting for the right sky to try them out........... :icon_bounce:

• Like 1

Docters history is intertwined with Zeiss,but there seems to be only one eyepiece made by them unless anyone knows otherwise. I've heard nothing but praise from experienced observers but they do have a hefty price tag.

Just one in the range as far as I'm aware.

They are costly but ergonomically it is practical to binoview them wheras the Ethos 13mm (which they are most often compared with) are just a bit too wide despite Tele Vue slimming the Ethos a few mm following the initial production run. Anyone got a "fat" Ethos 13mm ?.

Is that a Tak scope on the right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's the Tak collimation scope.

Gave me quite a fright, last time I fitted it to the  3" starlight focuser in my refractor.

The brass compression ring, unbeknown to me, was a perfect fit into the recess of the 2" adapter........ :eek:

When I came to remove it, I spent at least 10 to 15 minutes jiggling/pulling  it, and I was starting to sweat over what the outcome would be.

Luckily it came free, and I have not fitted it since.

The recess is machined dead square, so I need to get a slope machined into it, to allow the compression ring to ride up and over.

The Docter eyepieces are 12.5mm, and are the best Bino viewing eyepieces that I have ever tried.

Superb contrasting views, great eye relief, and easy to look around the field of view.

They only came a few days ago, and I'm waiting for the right sky to try them out........... :icon_bounce:

I just have the one Docter because I don't get on with binoviewers. It's certainly a wonderful eyepiece, fabulous views and very easy to get on with. It's also very easy to clean because once the rubber eyecup is removed you have clear access to the large exit lense.

There was a Docter zoom listed on the APM site a while back but I think that has been removed, couldn't find it the other day. Given the quality of the 12.5, I would be tempted by the zoom.

After deciding to lighten my load a little and stick only with 1.25" eyepieces, I've spent an hour playing, cutting out my new hard foam to hold my latest acquisition, a 20mm Pentax XW.

Nice job, what's the foam you are using ?

Nice job, what's the foam you are using ?

Im not certain what kind of foam it is other than its fairly hard stuff. It was given to me by a friend who's got it given to him from a museum he works at where they used it for packing boxes securely.
The green foam was cut fromfrom several layers of interlocking excersise matt. I used that for a decade and it never wore out.

Mike

I just have the one Docter because I don't get on with binoviewers. It's certainly a wonderful eyepiece, fabulous views and very easy to get on with.

There was a Docter zoom listed on the APM site a while back but I think that has been removed, couldn't find it the other day. Given the quality of the 12.5, I would be tempted by the zoom.

I'd noticed that the Docter zoom had gone from the APM website too - nice looking eyepiece but FOV was relatively narrow - 46-56 I think. interesting there's just one fixed EP - which Bill Paolini in his book says is "considered by some experienced observers to be the best EP of its focal length ever made and without peer" . So what they're like in a binoviewer on a clear night is mind boggling.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking selection Shaun. What scope(s) do you use?

And. What is the Barlow for?

Paul

Paul,

I have 2 scopes an 80mm SkyWatcher Esprit triplet refractor (astro & solar) and a 150mm SCT (Lunar & Planetary)

The Barlow has a range between 1.2 -- 2.2 X so it is quite versatile and will allow magnifications inbetween my eyepiece focal lengths :laugh:

post-27910-0-72492000-1445453100_thumb.j

Edited by Pig
  • Like 3

Paul,

I have 2 scopes an 80mm SkyWatcher Esprit triplet refractor (astro & solar) and a 150mm SCT (Lunar & Planetary)

The Barlow has a range between 1.2 -- 2.2 X so it is quite versatile and will allow magnifications inbetween my eyepiece focal lengths :laugh:

A Zoom Barlow? Didn't know that they existed!

I am assuming that the quality is tip top? You don't fill a case with gourmet glass then screw it up with a mediocre barlow.

Paul

• Like 1

Paul,

It is not a zoom barlow as such. However, it is made up of several pieces that allow you to interchange them. Thus a variety of focal lengths can be achieved (some folk call it Lego)

It is a very good Barlow indeed :laugh:

Edited by Pig

You've got the works there Shaun :smiley:

I understand that the barlow provides a variety of amplification depending on the spacers you use. With the Leica zoom it gives virtually a complete eyepiece set. You can therefore send me the Pentax XW 7mm through 20mm  :grin:

• Like 4