SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Very nice cases Jeremy - out of interest which eyepieces do you use for solar with your Lunt?

Hello Mark,

actually I don't use any of these eyepieces with the Lunt 50! I use an Opticstar XL 7.2 to 21.5 mm zoom, which I find to be an excellent performer (better than the Lunt zoom I used for a period)

All the best,

Jeremy

Well ... apart from the fact I can say I now own all of the current 1.25" TV Plossls (it's an OCD thing lol) ... my reasoning is that, if I've got my sums right, I will get a 3.14mm exit pupil on my 102mm Mak for a 32.5x magnification. It's the best I'll get on the Mak to utilise the Baader UHC-S filter on some nebulae, particularly M42.

Plus the 40mm will work well on the 235mm aperture SCT I plan on getting next year. 

Although the 24mm Pan gives me 54x it only gives me a 1.89mm exit pupil, which is fine, but it darkens the M42 nebula with the filter a bit too much for my liking. I found the 32mm Plossl gave a brighter image with the filter, although it was reduced to 41x. 

So, I would like to see how brighter it will be at relatively decent 32.5x with the Baader filter.

A few days ago I observed M42 with the 10mm Delos (unfiltered) and I could see the trapezium quite well. It looked great, but I was curious about how low a magnification I could get on the Mak as well. The 10mm gave me 130x which I think is probably the maximum decent magnification on a 4" Mak for M42. So the 40mm Plossl was a logical step for a useful low magnification on a f/12.7 Mak.

Great EP's Mak!

and....you have figured things out :smiley:

• Like 1

Great EP's Mak!

and....you have figured things out :smiley:

Thanks. There seems to be some subjectivity to how specific exit pupil sizes can be utilised on particular targets. At least if you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of different designs of telescopes you can predict how they will behave, hopefully lol. Because of clouds I haven't had a chance to look at M42 with the 40mm Plossl. It will be interesting to view the nebula cloud with the UHC filter with an exit pupil of just over 3mm.  

• Like 2

Thanks. There seems to be some subjectivity to how specific exit pupil sizes can be utilised on particular targets. At least if you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of different designs of telescopes you can predict how they will behave, hopefully lol. Because of clouds I haven't had a chance to look at M42 with the 40mm Plossl. It will be interesting to view the nebula cloud with the UHC filter with an exit pupil of just over 3mm.  

Yep - it's good to experiment :smiley:

I had no idea that 400x plus would show me some of the moons of Uranus and Neptune ...... until I tried it.

• Like 5

A bit uneven mix of different quality eyepieces but one has to start from somewhere, right? :p

SW 28mm LET is actually not that bad but it tells something about it's overall quality that the sticker stating '28 mm' peeled off after a couple of uses! :grin:

post-40423-0-74819100-1451050020_thumb.j

Merry Christmas,

Chipela

• Like 2

Which moons were you getting. Obviosly triton i would have thought but what else? Have you done a review that i have missed by any chance John?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Titania and Oberon at Uranus. Here is my "1st contact" report:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/253930-uranus-and-a-moon-maybe/

I've repeated the observation since but these two are still right on the limit for my scope and observing site - mostly seen with averted vision.

Triton at Neptune was a little easier and I could see it with direct vision most of the time.

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

Titania and Oberon at Uranus. Here is my "1st contact" report:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/253930-uranus-and-a-moon-maybe/

I've repeated the observation since but these two are still right on the limit for my scope and observing site - mostly seen with averted vision.

Triton at Neptune was a little easier and I could see it with direct vision most of the time.

Thanks for that John. I have not been doing much recently due to repairs and maintenance but now I am back in the game I am just waiting for the weather to play ball. Ohh erm wait  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some great eyepieces in those cases Gavster :icon_biggrin:

I can recognise the ones that are side on but can you give some clues on the upright ones ? - they look like TV end caps on 4 of them.

John - you set the standard to which all us junior gricers aspire - your eyepiece gricing abilities even extend to end caps. Edited by Highburymark
  • Like 1