Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I wonder if sales of eyepieces and accessories go up when we have a prolonged period of bad weather? They certainly do in my neck of the woods. As the cloudy days have turned into cloudy weeks and months, the only things that have kept me sane have been SGL, and completing the eyepiece project I started ten months ago. Today I added the Ethos 13 - the final piece of the jigsaw - and although the chances of me being able to use it at the moment are practically nil, I can at least look forward to some fantastic views if ever the skies clear.

post-42910-0-57932500-1449259995_thumb.j

• Like 1

Just wondered - is the longest, biggest  thread ever? 124 'pages' and counting! 

I wonder that each time I pop in here Kerry :smiley:

It's actually become a sort of history of our collections for some of us. Come to think of it I've not posted mine for a few weeks and there have been changes :rolleyes2:

I'm not sure I can compete with all this Gucci green and black, but here's my offering [emoji6]. Mainly ES 82s and a lonely Astro Hutech 7mm ortho. I'd like a 6mm and a 9mm to keep it company [emoji4].a6c935b3c5a12c28d65e472eb747381f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice case.

I have had a slight feeling of indulgence every time I've added a new EP over the past year, but after spending the previous 15 years with nothing more exotic than a few Meade plossls, I've learnt to get over that hurdle. It hasn't been cheap, but then if you are committed to the hobby and you are able to acquire decent kit, you may as well do it now and enjoy it for longer.

• Like 2

I reckon that the ES 82° are rather splendid eyepieces. The 24mm is one of my most used. The is a fair bit of green in my case, but every time that an equivalent(ish) used Nagler comes up I just can't quite bring myself to swap it in....

Paul

Impressive Michael. As someone who does not observe the Sun much, the only bits of kit I recognise are the diagonal and the eyepiece though :icon_scratch:

The long tube at the top is an assembly consisting of (from left to right) a 2" to T2 adapter, a Baader TZ-4 Tele-Centric 4x, a Meade variable projection unit (without 1.25" nosepiece or EP in it) acting as a variable T2 extension tube, the Solar Spectrum filter itself (the brass unit with the cooling fins at the top and a cable coming from it), and a Celestron 1.25" visual back. Below it on the left is the controller of the Solar Spectrum filter (temperature control), and below that is a power supply. The diagonal and EP are obvious, and to the lower right is the Beloptic Tri-band ERF in the cell made by Mark Townley.

• Like 5

The long tube at the top is an assembly consisting of (from left to right) a 2" to T2 adapter, a Baader TZ-4 Tele-Centric 4x, a Meade variable projection unit (without 1.25" nosepiece or EP in it) acting as a variable T2 extension tube, the Solar Spectrum filter itself (the brass unit with the cooling fins at the top and a cable coming from it), and a Celestron 1.25" visual back. Below it on the left is the controller of the Solar Spectrum filter (temperature control), and below that is a power supply. The diagonal and EP are obvious, and to the lower right is the Beloptic Tri-band ERF in the cell made by Mark Townley.

Wow - impressive Michael - an education in itself, that case.

• 2 weeks later...

You have made a good start - the Baader zoom plus barlow covers around 5/6 eyepieces !

With the longer focal length pair you can cover virtually all observing needs with your scope I'd have thought.

• Like 1

I said at 100 that this was a bit like an innings of the great G Boycott, now at 125 it is building at the same speed, though this cannot be out.

I have seen some lovely eyepiece cases on this thread filled with some lovely eyepieces, it is sort of nice to look back and remind ourselves what we had a few years back.

Alan

• Like 1

You have made a good start - the Baader zoom plus barlow covers around 5/6 eyepieces !

With the longer focal length pair you can cover virtually all observing needs with your scope I'd have thought.

Thanks John, those were my exact thoughts. I read these forums ALLOT, including cloudynights and heaps of reviews whenever I can and you guys helped lots in deciding what to get. I think that I know now a fair deal now about pros and cons of different designs for both optics and mounts but in terms of real observing experience, not so much. With that said, I didn't know what to expect in terms of views so I thought that a good zoom would help. Additionally, I live in a place where it can get VERY cold so chunky eyepieces that sit well in my hand feel safer.

Hopefully one day I'll fill up the empty space with some nice items... if I ever decide to get a nicer diagonal, herschel prism, binoviewer or a better finder... anything that I want to keep in good condition really. 

• Like 2

I read these forums ALLOT, including cloudynights and heaps of reviews whenever I can and you guys helped lots in deciding what to get. I think that I know now a fair deal now about pros and cons of different designs for both optics and mounts but in terms of real observing experience,

That's an excellent way to learn all these thing IMHO, you get to know all the different oppinions from variaty of time point of different users, much better than post a simple question like "what's best eyepiece", where you'll only get some answers available at the time, and it saves you time and money from trying out different eyepieces, unless it's part of your interest or work.

• Like 2

That's an excellent way to learn all these thing IMHO, you get to know all the different oppinions from variaty of time point of different users, much better than post a simple question like "what's best eyepiece", where you'll only get some answers available at the time, and it saves you time and money from trying out different eyepieces, unless it's part of your interest or work.

Thanks YKSE. I don't know if it saved me time sinde thre is so much good stuff out there but it's definitely more enjoyable than discovering randomly and being dissapointed from time to time. That's a bad combo when freezing outside (As you may know, Sweden can be cold)  =)

Nice case Mak !

Out of interest, whats the 40mm TV plossl going to do that your 24mm Panoptic doesn't ?

Well ... apart from the fact I can say I now own all of the current 1.25" TV Plossls (it's an OCD thing lol) ... my reasoning is that, if I've got my sums right, I will get a 3.14mm exit pupil on my 102mm Mak for a 32.5x magnification. It's the best I'll get on the Mak to utilise the Baader UHC-S filter on some nebulae, particularly M42.

Plus the 40mm will work well on the 235mm aperture SCT I plan on getting next year. 

Although the 24mm Pan gives me 54x it only gives me a 1.89mm exit pupil, which is fine, but it darkens the M42 nebula with the filter a bit too much for my liking. I found the 32mm Plossl gave a brighter image with the filter, although it was reduced to 41x. 

So, I would like to see how brighter it will be at relatively decent 32.5x with the Baader filter.

A few days ago I observed M42 with the 10mm Delos (unfiltered) and I could see the trapezium quite well. It looked great, but I was curious about how low a magnification I could get on the Mak as well. The 10mm gave me 130x which I think is probably the maximum decent magnification on a 4" Mak for M42. So the 40mm Plossl was a logical step for a useful low magnification on a f/12.7 Mak.

• Like 4