Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Words fail me

DaveS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I'm pretty certain you could find some words to fit the situation, if you were really pressed!

OK, let's try.

We British like to think that, at our most vulgar, we sink no lower than the trio of plaster ducks on the living room wall, the nodding dog in the back of the car or the ribald comedy on offer in Blackpool. However, a group of  Weymouth concillors plans to bury good taste in a deeper and more rancid mire than any might have thought possible.

This fortress built by nature for herself, 

Against infection and the hand of war

is to see her skies and shoreline stabbed, pierced and strafed by searing rays of laser light. Gone, the soft glow of moonlight on the waves. Gone, the starlight whose jounery over millions of years will be obliterated by the trash of light pollution. In an orgy of pure waste, precious energy will be squandered on the visual equivalent of truckloads of tinsel-tinted rubbish being dumped on the beach daily.

Olly

Our local area is currently being bombarded by greedy developers with housing development planning applications to build on green belt agricultural land using some loophole called     " special circumstances " whatever that is.

Dave

3 hours ago, Floater said:

Olly, you have done well.

The above will do for me.

And I guess I’ll have to hand back my ‘post of the week’ accolade. You have surpassed me. ?

I think we'd both have preferred a short salvo from the banned list!

Olly

“Council leader Jeff Cant said: "We are trying to merge a 21st Century future for the town with the nostalgia for the past."”

And the definition of “cant” is: “Hypocritical and sanctimonious talk, typically of a moral, religious, or political nature.”....

Nominative determinism in action.

As for “ nostalgia for the past”, how about turning the lights off altogether so we can enjoy the dark skies our great grandparents had?

1 hour ago, Hallingskies said:

“Council leader Jeff Cant said: "We are trying to merge a 21st Century future for the town with the nostalgia for the past."”

And the definition of “cant” is: “Hypocritical and sanctimonious talk, typically of a moral, religious, or political nature.”....

Nominative determinism in action.

As for “ nostalgia for the past”, how about turning the lights off altogether so we can enjoy the dark skies our great grandparents had?

My latest nomination for post of the week!

Olly

There was once a 60's TV series called "All Gas and Gaiters".... ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Gas_and_Gaiters

The "Enthusiastic Curate" (Derek Nimmo) filled with "modernistic
zeal" (this was THEN still the 20th century"!) suggested that:
"We really must bring the CHURCH into the 19th (sic) century!"?

The Bishop replied:
"ONE century at a time, Dear Boy... One century at a time"! lol ?

21 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Now you see why I recomended Mid Wales- I have a 45,000 acre International Dark Sky Park due south of me. And a 320,000 acre Dark Sky Reserve due south of that!

Good heavens, my country seat has never particularly appealed to me before (to the extent that I have never bothered to take possession) but perhaps I should?

https://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=505

?lly

*Sigh*

For a long time I had a search area on Rightmove taking in the dark core of Ceridigion and Powys, with LP maps giving a lot of Bortle 3, and even some Bortle 2.

In the end I decided it was too far from family, and the climate was too wet.

Where I'm moving to (Touch wood) is at least in an AONB and a Conservation Area. Sky is the dark end of Bortle 4, very nearly Bortle 3, so acceptable. I was on holiday in that rough area in early July, and the sky was very dark, even without astro dark.

Just got to hope Weymouth don't trash it.

3 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

I'm sure it will be fine- these things are usually temporary fixtures. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Don't think they're temporary, the lasers have been there since the Olympics and they're not being replaced just more lights added.

Dave

9 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

Hopefully common sense will prevail.

As a dear old lady said to me once: ‘Common sense? They’re breeding it out my dear!’

7 hours ago, Gina said:

Well maybe but I doubt it!!!

We have a consensus! ?

Archived