SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Words fail me

DaveS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the people who thought this up couldn't find their backsides with both hands.

It's just along the coast from where I'm moving to. Hopefully on the other side of Weymouth and will be screened.

Unreal.

A few years ago, Southampton City Council wanted to have green lasers coming off the top of their Guidhall, to complete with Portsmouth's Spinnaker tower.

It was rejected, but I can't find any links on it.

Doing something that would genuinely improve peoples' lives would seem to be a far better use of the cash, but if it must be spent on some sort of vanity project I'd personally prefer that they spent it on a few pieces of sculpture or something similar to go along the waterfront.  At least then there'd be something for future generations rather than getting chucked away when it becomes too awkward or expensive to run and maintain, or when people get bored of them.

James

Moving from the apparently bizarre attitude of Weymouth to light pollution double standards seem to be in full flow in France.  In our village and neighbouring villages no one goes out on foot at night but there are street lights every thirty metres down the main street.  If our farmer friends, who live about 60 metres away, come for a tipple in the evening they come by car.  The mayor in each village has the power to approve new lighting and, in the next village to us,  panders to the envy of residents who don't have a street light outside their house by approving the erection of a new one.  However, take off from Toulouse at night and there you can see huge residential areas where modern lighting has been installed, low level shining downwards.  Areas of old lighting still shine blindingly upwards but if the city fathers continue the trend Toulouse could one day be an unshining example to the rest of the world - Weymouth included.

Does anyone actually GO to the "British Seaside" anymore? Every time I go
for a walk along the "prom"... I am virtually alone? The NEW (dredged up!)
beach looks *great*. Idem the new Watersports Center - But it's a long way
to walk from the town. The "last bus home" now runs at 5:15 p.m. too... ?

The lights at Weymouth are weird enough already, imo. Once had fish and chips after dark there with the family. Apart for the required group of drunks (at 5pm) there wasn't really anyone else around. A whole load of silly green lasers pointing about at the sea for nobody to look at. I am probably one of those hard-hearted ignoramuses who hate modern "art" but frankly it looks ridiculous and does absolutely nothing to add to or (subtract from) the beauty of the sea at night.

All I can say is, at least they haven't started up floodlighting the sea floor for night-time divers of something. ?

John

In my experience, there seem to be (with exceptions) three main types of English seaside towns (or areas within them)

1 - Trendy - with a marina, bistros, delis and lots of people wearing deck shoes, shorts with a crease in them and rugby shirts with the collars turned up,

2 - Retirement homes - row after row of bungalows each with a very clean Honda Jazz on the drive,

3 - Rundown - basically a waiting area for the Jeremy Kyle show with fruit machines.

14 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

In my experience, there seem to be (with exceptions) three main types of English seaside towns (or areas within them)

1 - Trendy - with a marina, bistros, delis and lots of people wearing deck shoes, shorts with a crease in them and rugby shirts with the collars turned up,

2 - Retirement homes - row after row of bungalows each with a very clean Honda Jazz on the drive,

3 - Rundown - basically a waiting area for the Jeremy Kyle show with fruit machines.

Sadly most of them are #3. ? My observation is that quite a lot of the #3s also seem to think that the beach is greatly improved by listening to hip-hop etc at ear-breaking volume. (Perhaps I should add that I don't think it is. ;))

John

Archived