Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TYPICAL!

Stargazer33

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Was hoping for either a Moon with nicely placed clouds or a rip roaring thunderstorm to take some pictures of, what I have is wall to wall dark clouds with nothing happening.

Alan

Snap :grin:

Dave :clouds1:

20 minutes ago, trynda1701 said:

Now that's dedication. Right at the waters edge for a clear horizon! :)

Would have been wonderful to see it rising off the sea horizon, but such is life!

Typically we got our first glimpse just as the full eclipse ended. Had some nice views, through broken cloud, of it coming out of eclipse. We saw hints of red but nothing dramatic. At least we saw something though. Warming up now with a hot chocolate :) 

I first spotted it at half past 10. It was barely visible and without my binoculars I could not see it at all. There was a lot of haze, the sky wasn't really dark and the Moon was very low on the horizon. But it was there and it showed a hint of a rusty colour.

By about 11 o'clock I could see it with the naked eye and it was quite easy to find as one side started to brighten up. The brown colour was more prominent at that point.

The colour faded fast after that as the Moon was leaving the umbra.

If it hadn't been so hot I'd give this lunar eclipse 2 out of 10 points, but it was 29° at the end and I felt totally miserable from the heat of the day. As it was, with the twilight, the low altitude, the smog, the heat, the mosquitoes and the DEET, this eclipse gets zero points from me.

Tomorrow is going to be 23°. That's 15° cooler than today. I'm longing for that.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

I should take her up on the offer! ;) 

To be fair it was the nearest sighting I had of a pink, cratered, cracked and inhospitable environment I saw last night thanks to total cloud..

Absolutely lashed it down for an hour at 2am as I was hoping for a run at mars, that didn't happen either!

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Typically we got our first glimpse just as the full eclipse ended. Had some nice views, through broken cloud, of it coming out of eclipse. We saw hints of red but nothing dramatic. At least we saw something though. Warming up now with a hot chocolate :) 

Same here Stu. Total thick cloud until just after 22.15, then got a look at the crescent shining through thin cloud.  Glad to have at least seen something after sitting looking at clouds for nearly an hour.

These are the best I could do. First is just with the phone with digital zoom as we caught our first glimpses through the cloud, then with scope using 24mm Pan. Finally just a standard phone shot with sea reflection.

Despite the failure to see the full eclipse, we had fun down on the front. Plenty of people out hoping to see it too.

20180727_222656.jpg

20180728_100323.jpg

20180727_223922.jpg

The hottest and driest summer in the UK on record. Day after day of clear skies and so what happens. A lunar eclipse comes along and the weather gods decide to send some much needed raiin. Haven’t had any rain here in a couple of months but couldn’t it have waited a day or two? ☹️

Archived