NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any body else feel work is a massive inconvenience

Wirral man

Hi only a laugh but its typical to get some lovely clear nights and watch them go to waste as im up for work each day at 5am which pretty much means i cant stay up using my new imaging setup really gets my back up lol and come the weekend when im off will be cloudy phhtt....oh well fingers crossed that im wrong..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect everyone finds work a massive inconvenience - even non astronomers and people with jobs they enjoy (including professional astronomers). Maybe it's supposed to be that way - that's why they call it work!

Billy.

2 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

To slightly mis-quote Oscar Wilde......"Work is the curse of the observing classes"!

Chris

That's a great quote.  Hadn't heard that before, but it instantly reminded me of the inimitable Jerome k. Jerome's utterings on the subject of work....

“I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.” 

and

“I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It is my energetic nature. I can't help it.” 

Can't help but be in full agreement of the sentiments :)

6 hours ago, Jonk said:

27+ years for me until state pension age....spare a thought!

Let's hope they don't move the goalposts again before you get there Jon :grin:

As I worked 28 hours a day 8 days a week and had to get up before I went to bed I don't feel the least bit guilty being retired :thumbsup:

Dave

Good to have solar options - I sometimes take my Lunt into work for lunchtime Sun sessions, and have growing interest in the hobby as a result among my colleagues. 

(But basically my answer to your question is a resounding 'yes')

It certainly was inconvenient at 2am this morning when I thought I better pack up the astro in order to get a few hours sleep in. Sky was just lovely then. Weekend currently looks promising though. Fingers crossed.:smile:  

6 minutes ago, RayD said:

And after lunch? :angel4:

What's that ? I worked on some sites where all the chippies would sit round at break times eating their sarnies, I used to keep going screwdriver in one hand sandwich in the other, sometimes took a bite out of the wrong one :grin: the sooner I finished the sooner I could go home .

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

What's that ? I worked on some sites where all the chippies would sit round at break times eating their sarnies, I used to keep going screwdriver in one hand sandwich in the other, sometimes took a bite out of the wrong one :grin: the sooner I finished the sooner I could go home .

Dave

I like that, lunch is for whimps.  I used to be a sub-contract engineer working on sites and was exactly same, often wondering why guys were sitting around doing nothing.

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

I like that, lunch is for whimps.  I used to be a sub-contract engineer working on sites and was exactly same, often wondering why guys were sitting around doing nothing.

The funniest thing I saw was chippies sharpening Stanley knife blades, using an oilstone, in their dinner break :grin:

Dave

Archived