NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alternatives to Adobe Photoshop

Hi,

Thinking of trying to get my hands on something a little better than GIMP for my Astro Image Processing (something that supports 16 bit images).
(and basically Adobe Photoshop is too expensive for me)
I expect this has been discussed many times, but does anyone use Cyberlink PhotoDirector 9 (£47.99), or Serif Affinity Photo for Windows (£48.99) for their post DSS Image Processing?
The reviews on the above programs are very good indeed on the internet (ie) Tech Radar
I look forward to any recommendations or advice from those that might know please.

Regards
Steve

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't even get GIMP to load my stacked image from DSS, so if you can do that you're doing better than me. I'll be interested in what other people recommend as an alternative. I don't have a problem paying for software, but I do find the Adobe subscription model a bit overpriced for my wallet as well.

43 minutes ago, PembrokeSteve said:

Hi,

Thinking of trying to get my hands on something a little better than GIMP for my Astro Image Processing (something that supports 16 bit images).
(and basically Adobe Photoshop is too expensive for me)
I expect this has been discussed many times, but does anyone use Cyberlink PhotoDirector 9 (£47.99), or Serif Affinity Photo for Windows (£48.99) for their post DSS Image Processing?
The reviews on the above programs are very good indeed on the internet (ie) Tech Radar
I look forward to any recommendations or advice from those that might know please.

Regards
Steve

Hm, Gimp in version 2.9 is capable of working with both 16bit and 32bit images, no problem, it also loads fits files with no trouble. I've been using it quite some time now.

Gimp 2.9 is still development version (but quite stable), so you don't get compiled binary for windows on Gimp website - it offers only 2.8 version. Luckily development version compiled for windows is available here:

https://www.partha.com/

There is download section on right side a bit down the page:

image.png.0edb923fafe442cc1c7777bd6d271a78.png

So you can download Standard edition (installer) or Standard Edition portable - if you don't want to install it - just unzip to folder and you can start it there (just delete if you no longer want to use it, no need for uninstall).

Thanks @vlaiv partha was one that I was going to dig out ! The portable versions are the only ones I have used and they can be slow (on my m/c anyway) comes with RawTherape built in, so can load directly your raws (uses DCRAW)

Samj builds portable 2.9.x frequently, faster more responsive but no built in raw handler ( not a prob if using DSS TIFF output ) she is looking into RawTherapee vs. Darktable

https://samjcreations.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/version-de-developpement-gimp-299_24.html

I use Serif Affinity Photo for general photographic work and for astro post-processing.  I've never had or learnt Photoshop, and couldn't get on with Gimp.  I'm on a Mac, but I presume the Windows version is just as good.  Affinity does have a stacking mode, and if I want to stack some lights from a session - being lazy, keen to see a quick result! - I'll stack and post-process purely in Affinity.  I'm no expert though, but I enjoy using Affinity very much and find its capabilities more than enough for my needs.  I also reckon its excellent value for money.

PS Partha only builds for x64 so if one wants to use a heritage x32 m/c for imaging whilst the domestic staff use the new one-  :)  -Samj does both in the same zip, so download (look for the téléchargement bit !), extract, delete the not needed bits and use economically.

1 hour ago, SilverAstro said:

Give me a mo. and I'll dig out some links.

Slowly the domestic allows me time ! : to find&post some of the other ones :)

http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/

a variant of

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/

and not forgetting classical IRIS ( but if you thought Gimp was a learning curve beware!) http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/iris-software.html very good but needs time to sus out all its capabilities.

There is a newcomer variant to IRIS - SIRIL   https://free-astro.org/index.php/Siril which I have not yet tried so ymmv.

All the above are free BTW

I too vote for gimp... Latest version should load all 16bit data for you. Yes it's a rougher version of Photoshop, but one you're used to it, it'll do everything you need... 

Alternatives are really only photoshop and PixInsight IMHO.

Affinity isn't too great on automatic hot pixel removal - I didn't realise this was a feature on Photoshop until I stopped using it when the subscription model came in. Granted, stacking can do the job but it was an nice feature, especially on single sub astro-widefield lanscape stuff.

Apart from that, I have adapted Affinity products into my profession and can say it really passes muster. It also supports 16 bit and 32 bit RGB HDR.

Adobe creative cloud is only £12 a month and you get lightroom and photoshop for that.you also have access to adobe portfolio where you can build your own free website. 

I tried paintshop pro couldn’t get on with it

for me I’d choose PS over any of the others out there it’s a lot easier to navigate. 

Paint Shop Pro is a lot cheaper than PS, and 'some' of the PS plugins are compatible... 

But if you can get hold of an OLD version of PS (I use v7) i.e. non-subscription, it is still possible to install & run on windows 10

I consider processing software an important part of my imaging setup. And as such, I saved up to "buy once, cry once". PS had (has?) two main disadvantages:

1, it isn't a complete package; you still need stacking software. And you may also need to buy plugins or "actions".

2, it uses a subscription plan, which makes it more expensive in the long run.

These were two important reasons why I bought PixInsight, other than its extensive list of features.

Alternatives to PS and PI are startools and APP (astro pixel processor), but I have no experience with either of these.

I have not used it myself by I have heard good things about APP.  As stated above you can often find an older version of PS on Ebay anything from CS2 onwards should be OK.  I use CS3 and works fine.   Might be worth a look.

Carole 

I use paintshoppro and StarTools with DSS or Sequator for stacking.

Psp I can use both hasta le vista green and gradient exterminator. It is ps scripts that won't ruin in psp but plugins generally are ok.

Every now and then a full license of psp is on offer at £19.99.

I moved from Photoshop CS6 to Affinity photo because PS would not support my new camera RAWs and to be honest I struggle to find a blind bit of difference in features and operation between the two, if anything Affinity has more.

Alan

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I moved from Photoshop CS6 to Affinity photo because PS would not support my new camera RAWs and to be honest I struggle to find a blind bit of difference in features and operation between the two, if anything Affinity has more.

Alan

in what way does it have more?

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

Looks good for £48 ... but only 16 bit filters.

IF I had a clue how to do it I would write a program just dedicated to doing stretches, levels and curves on 32 bit images, with statistical analysis to automatically maximise dynamic range without clipping.

3 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I moved from Photoshop CS6 to Affinity photo because PS would not support my new camera RAWs

I expect DCRAW does, use that to convert to a format that suits PS if you like doing things in PS

is it your 80d ? dcraw lists it.

Archived