NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone used Altair Astro ?

Just wondering if anyone regularly uses Altair Astro.

I have ordered quite a lot of stuff last couple of weeks from two or three websites most sent me emails to say the goods had been dispatched and most arrived within 2 to 3 days but my order, all of which was supposedly I stock, from Altair which was placed 8 days ago has not arrived. Also no answers to my emails to ask if item has been dispatched.

Maybe I just worry too much and 8 days is not excessive, I will try to ring them tomorrow.

Steve

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to return a scope damaged in transit back to them (bought off another Astro company, but sent back to them for repair) a while back. Have to say although I got the scope sorted out OK, they didn’t respond well to emails. Had to push more through the company I bought the scope off initially.

They are a good company insomuch as you will get the goods you ordered and their products are good, but they do fall down with their communications.  Ringing them they often don't answer and ditto with E mails.  Its a shame as they sell some good stuff, but it makes it very frustrating for the customer.  

Facebook sounds a good idea if you know Nick's surname.

Carole 

They've had orders cancelled by me through lack of communication.  I wouldn't use them any more personally as whilst the kit is fine, the unnerving silence and tumbleweed following any query or order is disheartening to say the least.

The purchaser shouldn't have to resort to other media to track them down for a response.

I'm still waiting on an answer regarding a TQ on a finder shoe for a 72mmED, that was a few years ago now mind..

I think their products are very good, but I'd buy through a vendor rather than direct every time..  there's hardly if any price difference and the vendor can do the running around bit..

2 hours ago, carastro said:

They are a good company insomuch as you will get the goods you ordered and their products are good, but they do fall down with their communications.  Ringing them they often don't answer and ditto with E mails.  Its a shame as they sell some good stuff, but it makes it very frustrating for the customer.  

Facebook sounds a good idea if you know Nick's surname.

Carole 

Ive only ever had one dealing with them and was simply asking a question before buying something. I was basically fobbed off, as if they didnt want my business. I was asking if the Vixen VMC200L would be ok to mount on a Porta II. I was going to buy them both at the same time.

The reply was: "Dont know, you could try it".

I'm just being honest. 

Tried them once, I think I had a £500 deposit down for a scope for somewhere around 18 months before I cancelled it. Had to chase repeatedly for updates and could never get answers. Too much stress for me so wouldn’t buy again.

8 days is way too much without any form of acknowledgement or communication. I’ve waited several months for something from FLO before but was kept updated and never had cause to worry.

I must admit, I do try to avoid buying directly from them unless its Face to Face at Kelling, because I can't stand the difficult communication scenario.  Occasionally I have had no choice and I even managed to get them at the end of the phone once to my surprise.  They must lose a lot of customers because of this.  

Carole

Before attending Kelling (last September?) I emailed them saying I was interested in the Carbon fibre 10" RC scope they advertise and if they had some in stock. Had an email back a day or two later saying no stock available except a 10" that had been returned as the buyer realised he wanted a 12". Saying I will be at Kelling he said they could bring it for me to look at but it turned out that they either forgot to bring it or had no room for it with all their other Kelling display stock. Fairly apologetic he offered to email me some pics (not quite the same is it?) , I must have sounded not so eager then as I`m still waiting for the pics. Not the most expensive item they sell but they didn`t seem bothered one way or t`other!!. Victims of their own success??. Doesn`t fill you with confidence to deal with again.

Steve 

I wont name names, but when i bought my Canon 450D from a company in the UK....it took 6-8 wks to arrive. A few dozen emails (from me were sent). I got very few replies.

I paid extra for express (2 day delivery). When it arrived, it was packaged like a rugby ball in bubble wrap and came without Canon Eos software.

Hi,

I think most astronomers in the UK are probably a bit spoilt by the amazing service that FLO gives! So far, I have never needed to go elsewhere. 

Last week I ordered a dew shield which was about 3 mm too small for my scope, so I emailed about a return and got a response within an hour or so. The fact that their returns policy is individual-case-based shows that they take emails very seriously.

John

21 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

I think most astronomers in the UK are probably a bit spoilt by the amazing service that FLO gives! So far, I have never needed to go elsewhere. 

Last week I ordered a dew shield which was about 3 mm too small for my scope, so I emailed about a return and got a response within an hour or so. The fact that their returns policy is individual-case-based shows that they take emails very seriously.

John

Ive only ever had to return 1 thing to FLO. They sent out a replacement that day (when i emailed them) and the courier collected the defective item when he delivered the new item.

It doesnt get any better. 

I have used Altair Astro on numerous occasions and have never had any problems with them. A few weeks ago I purchased an iOptron iEQ45Pro mount and without hesitation they offered to provide it with a demo pier instead of a tripod for the same price - it was delivered the next day.

I spend about £1-2k per annum on new stuff and try to spread it around the various suppliers; it's in astronomers interests if there's a healthy supply chain out there.  

So far I have not been seriously let down by any of the suppliers. 

45 minutes ago, A40farinagolf said:

I spend about £1-2k per annum on new stuff and try to spread it around the various suppliers; it's in astronomers interests if there's a healthy supply chain out there.  

I totally agree with this attitude. It is not as if there are 100's of suppliers in the UK and it is no good for anyone if a supplier has to close.

Steve

Well I did have to wait a day but before I could phone them Ian replied to me via email and has sorted it all out.

He admits it was an oversight on their behalf that the items had not been shipped and is shipping via 24hr DPD today for delivery tomorrow.

So quite happy with this, problems do happen with any company and so long as they do all they can to resolve it then that's fine.

Many thanks for all replies and I will do business with Astro again, I won't let one small incident put me off, these things happen.

Steve

Yes and of course there are suppliers who are the agent or outlet for certain products, so if you want that specific item you need to go to them anyway.

Retail is about the customer experience as it is a very competitive market, often separated by customer service only.  If you fail in that area you are likely to lose custom, that's just the way it goes I'm afraid.  As mentioned above, FLO excels in this area, and is why so many people keep using them.

Archived