Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

16 minutes ago, Ags said:

It was a bigger job than I expected. It's not for astro equipment, but it is for storing tables and chairs that clutter one of my astronomy spots. Also, it is proof I am fully shed-capable and ready for the bigger, better astroshed.

Nice.  The big question is... do you have the same number of fingers as when you started putting it together? I found the thin metal lethal (on those occasions I took my gloves off to do something fiddly and then forgot to put them back on!)

I have an 8 x 4 version of this that I've converted to a ROR Obsy.

• Like 2

DPD dropped off a Baader Maxbright II binoviewer, T2 32mm prism diagonal, heavy duty quick changer, 2” T2 nosepiece with safety kerfs and a copy of the Duplex moon atlas. I’m just waiting for the GPC’s to come back in stock. I previously owned the Maxbright II and parts but foolishly sold them 🙄. Thought I would get prepared for some lunar and the planetary season approaching.

94E6ED22-DE4A-46FD-95F5-6EE660212890.thumb.jpeg.50bb3926ae7fc98df7783b9e97dcc439.jpeg0448F6EB-21BD-4405-810D-99ED4EB0C209.thumb.jpeg.6a846138ba1a03787716ceeb78830aa0.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

A couple of scopes … the first is a 6” Stellalyra CC from FLO … ideal for A but if Lunar and planetary . The second was a scope that “went on holiday “ from me to @Alan White and has now returned … welcome home , big red ! 

cafcb71f-efea-4620-b56a-50f7f835e729.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

I’m pleased to see you reunited with “Big Red”. I knew in my heart of hearts that you were a reluctant seller. Nice CC as well Stu.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

A couple of scopes … the first is a 6” Stellalyra CC from FLO … ideal for A but if Lunar and planetary . The second was a scope that “went on holiday “ from me to @Alan White and has now returned … welcome home , big red ! 

cafcb71f-efea-4620-b56a-50f7f835e729.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

Is that a Sky T mount they're on?  Need to have a look at one.

3 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Is that a Sky T mount they're on?  Need to have a look at one.

Yea indeed … I have had three of these mounts , so I must like them . As you can see from the photo I have a modified Starsense unit occupying the top clamp . I can indeed put both scopes on the mount but prefer just the one . The frac is for deep sky and the cassegrain for the planets and the moon . I can recommend the mount . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I’m pleased to see you reunited with “Big Red”. I knew in my heart of hearts that you were a reluctant seller. Nice CC as well Stu.

Hi Ian , yes … went to Alan’s house to collect it .. we had a nice chat . The CC needs the extension tubes to reach focus but I can get aaay with using just the 2” tube as long as I use a 2”diagonal . 
I must have missed Big Red as I set it up as soon as I got home last night lol .. had an enjoyable 45 minutes or so looking at the Cygnus region and the constellation Lyra  . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Ian , yes … went to Alan’s house to collect it .. we had a nice chat . The CC needs the extension tubes to reach focus but I can get aaay with using just the 2” tube as long as I use a 2”diagonal . 
I must have missed Big Red as I set it up as soon as I got home last night lol .. had an enjoyable 45 minutes or so looking at the Cygnus region and the constellation Lyra  . 

Did you visit the khazi before you left?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 03/07/2023 at 19:33, Highburymark said:

After 25 years of starhopping, going to give push-to a try. Celestron Starsense Explorer unit repurposed for a typical Synta finder mount. Thanks to the much missed JohninDerby for the original inspiration, and others on the forum for help sourcing the bits. 

E52226DE-EB02-438D-A0CE-10FA4A8A908A.jpeg

494B77F9-FF66-4A13-BFE5-9C0383E3839E.jpeg

Snap, well kind of. I picked up a Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 80 AZ from FLOs sale with the aim of doing something similar with the Starsense unit. Need to get the bits together now.

I may also do one of my grossly unfair comparos vs the FC76 🤣

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Did you visit the khazi before you left?

He did, but didnt realise it @JeremyS,
We had  look at the Observing Area and the new Store,
sadly the Khazi got overlooked by the rest of the short tour.

Flushed with the sucess of the new Store 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The postman brought me my first telescope :hello2:

SW Mak 127 with AZ5, and additionally I ordered a dew shield, a barlow and the BST 15mm. In the day the difference between the super 25 that came with the scope and the BST is already impressive (and the 10mm is... poor). I'm thinking of taking it out for a spin tonight or tomorrow (clear skies expected) but at 58N there is "darkness" for barely a couple of hours and then again, it's probably not dark enough to see anything beyond some double stars.

I expect this to be the first of maaaaaany visits from my postman :grin:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SwiMatt said:

SW Mak 127 with AZ5, and additionally I ordered a dew shield, a barlow and the BST 15mm. In the day the difference between the super 25 that came with the scope and the BST is already impressive (and the 10mm is... poor). I'm thinking of taking it out for a spin tonight or tomorrow (clear skies expected) but at 58N there is "darkness" for barely a couple of hours and then again, it's probably not dark enough to see anything beyond some double stars.

Very nice purchases; the 15mm BST is an exceptional eyepiece. You’re going to have a lot of fun with that scope. Not long for the gas giants too. 😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Lovely set up , and whilst waiting for those gas giants to appear at a reasonable time you will fall in love with the moon and some double stars 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Congratulations on the scope purchase, you will enjoy it I am sure.
The above prediction is probably far more true than you realise!

• Haha 2

Turned 40 today and got some really nice presents.  Got another copy of discovering double stars so I can do some @Mr Spockcolour coding and scrawling.

Also got tickets to go see Brian Cox next year which will be smashing.PXL_20230707_184342568.thumb.jpg.fd920595f3a5454a0ead05d82209b4d9.jpg

• Like 7

A few new bits of kit thanks to Zoltan @365 Astronomy for quick service and free delivery.

Hope to improve on my lunar images with ASI 174mm and IR 685. Also added an L Ultimate filter for my DS imaging. Roll on August

20230708_094136.jpg

Edited by Astroscot2
  • Like 4