NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

RGB filters.. @Captain Scarlet are you turning onto an imager?? (Unlikely probably given your other purchases). 

Peter

Imager good god no 😁.

The filters came up on eBay and I fancy doing a bit of comparative RGB star-testing so I put in a silly low bid. Nobody else bid so they became mine.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Never tried a turret before but looking forward to planet season.

66CC4B65-3B12-4926-A7A4-FEBE222C1513.jpeg

Looks smart and effective, Mark.

I’d be interested in hearing how easy it is to turn and engage the next eyepiece - I presume there is a click stop. Does it cause the scope to shift in the process?
Also, a guy on CN a couple of days ago was saying it interfered with the tripod as the EPs stick out. It doesn’t look to be the case here.

Finally, is it a mirror or prism inside?

Been away on holiday and returned to post, but sadly missing the FT focuser for the Lunt still ☹️

But some goodies are here 😁

IMG_6512.thumb.jpeg.7e921f53057df7abaf4063a01c0d5a43.jpeg

IMG_6511.thumb.jpeg.68f14f97d6b0d3cd8c4c42f89f5d6142.jpeg

The long awaited SLV 9mm, got it off eBay and only 3 weeks from new, not to sellers taste, my gain in this case.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I had a look for a version suitable for 2” filters but no luck on that 

Probably have to use one of those smaller cube foam cases like this one:

DSC_0495_DxO.jpg.64b37458256aa7de77a515ebf5d9edba.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Looks smart and effective, Mark.

I’d be interested in hearing how easy it is to turn and engage the next eyepiece - I presume there is a click stop. Does it cause the scope to shift in the process?
Also, a guy on CN a couple of days ago was saying it interfered with the tripod as the EPs stick out. It doesn’t look to be the case here.

Finally, is it a mirror or prism inside?

It’s very easy to turn and engage Jeremy. Nicely weighted with a firm click each time the eyepiece is in position. No shift in the scope or view. Really nicely made product.
It could interfere with the mount depending on your set up - though in most cases it will be fine. No problem with my TSA-120 for example. If the end of the focuser isn’t sufficient distance from the rest of the mount (for example in the pic, you can see how eyepieces would clash with ADM clamp if focuser was adjusted any further inwards). This is the only scope/mount I’d have a problem with as it’s so short and the dovetail’s positioned a long way back - but I can adjust the dovetail to solve the problem.    
It’s a prism inside - seems on a par with my Baader diagonals, so very nice views. Finally, any eyepiece with barrels above 31mm will hit the prism, so caution needed. My Pentax XO5.1 is 30mm so right on the cusp. Other eyepieces (like Nagler zooms?) might be over the limit.

• Thanks 1

After 25 years of starhopping, going to give push-to a try. Celestron Starsense Explorer unit repurposed for a typical Synta finder mount. Thanks to the much missed JohninDerby for the original inspiration, and others on the forum for help sourcing the bits. 

E52226DE-EB02-438D-A0CE-10FA4A8A908A.jpeg

494B77F9-FF66-4A13-BFE5-9C0383E3839E.jpeg

• Like 7

Well, the postal worker delivered this a few days ago, but I unboxed and assembled it yesterday.

Shed.thumb.jpg.f967f6a815bb59001921f179e4917bbd.jpg

It was a bigger job than I expected. It's not for astro equipment, but it is for storing tables and chairs that clutter one of my astronomy spots. Also, it is proof I am fully shed-capable and ready for the bigger, better astroshed.

• Like 3