NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Wow! Just looked on the A place and they are asking nearly £185 for the Sky and telescope pocket sky atlas! Their having a laugh surely! Be miles cheaper to buy one from sky and telescope in the US and get it shipped over! Streuth! 

That’s a ridiculous price and not in the ballpark that I am willing to pay. I’ll have a look through the various recommendations I’ve been given. Thanks again  

Ian 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

That’s a ridiculous price and not in the ballpark that I am willing to pay. I’ll have a look through the various recommendations I’ve been given. Thanks again  

Ian 

Yeah, its good but not worth that price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Wow! Just looked on the A place and they are asking nearly £185 for the Sky and telescope pocket sky atlas! Their having a laugh surely! Be miles cheaper to buy one from sky and telescope in the US and get it shipped over! Streuth! 

I have bought a couple of books direct from Sky Publishing in the last year.  They worked out cheaper than buying new in the UK, although that was before the £ tanked. They also arrived much quicker than I expected.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

I have bought a couple of books direct from Sky Publishing in the last year.  They worked out cheaper than buying new in the UK, although that was before the £ tanked. They also arrived much quicker than I expected.

Yeah, I have bought direct from them too previously. Delivery times where very good, and not too bad with price either a while back ago.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Mine was delivered quite recently for £39.21 from Sky Publishing... At the time of purchase the Paypal exchange rate was rubbish at £1.00/$1.04. (Thanks KK and LT 👊).

• Like 3

Having been fortunate to win the Autumn Astrocamp Quiz, I had some vouchers from Tring Astronomy Centre that needed using. 

Although many items are showing as 'Out of Stock', a phonecall to Jane assured me that items are coming in from time to time, and they could put my name against a ZWO ADC that seemed to be something I'd like to try out. 

I'd repaired someone else's illuminated Crosshairs Eyepiece over the summer, so one of those looked attractive too - as it should make it easier to get pin-point centred Alignment stars next time, and hopefully improve my GOTOs.   

So these arrived this morning (not the vouchers, I had them already)

ADC and illuminated eyepiece 2.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Mine was delivered quite recently for £39.21 from Sky Publishing... At the time of purchase the Paypal exchange rate was rubbish at £1.00/$1.04. (Thanks KK and LT 👊).

Six years ago, my copy cost me £7.50 new from Amazon. What happened since then? Bonkers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

Having been fortunate to win the Autumn Astrocamp Quiz, I had some vouchers from Tring Astronomy Centre that needed using. 

Although many items are showing as 'Out of Stock', a phonecall to Jane assured me that items are coming in from time to time, and they could put my name against a ZWO ADC that seemed to be something I'd like to try out. 

I'd repaired someone else's illuminated Crosshairs Eyepiece over the summer, so one of those looked attractive too - as it should make it easier to get pin-point centred Alignment stars next time, and hopefully improve my GOTOs.   

So these arrived this morning (not the vouchers, I had them already)

ADC and illuminated eyepiece 2.jpg

I was close to ordering a ZWO ADC for planetary imaging, but thought better of it, as I didn't want to complicate the set up, etc...

Edited by Ian McCallum

46 minutes ago, Alex Mac said:

Six years ago, my copy cost me £7.50 new from Amazon. What happened since then? Bonkers.

I think the problem is that it's currently out of print, so only available through re-sellers. 

• Like 1

Some large EP bolt cases and also tube rings for my Evoguide 50ED project. Bit annoyed that the bolt cases did not come with pre-cut foam in the end of the case, even though the show that in the sales photo - I also don't think they are as sturdy as the ones I bought previously from TS-Optics. Contacting Lacerta to find out if they can send some separately. 

20221102_115147.thumb.jpg.df19234f08f59bb7797ec9ed518b8ec5.jpg

• Like 7

Well the postie brought it yesterday actually. I jumped on an "open box" offer at @FLO to "fix" a small niggle with my current focuser where it can slip a little at zenith with heavy EPs or BV's hanging down on it or need a tiny bit of external encouragement to travel in (up) in the same orientation. 

Spent last night scratching my head wondering if i'd done the right thing as the longer draw tube on the Baader SteelTrack focuser fouls the inside of my Cassegrain. I can prevent the internal collision with a longer spacer or a DIY bump stop on the outside of the focus draw tube BUT these both effect in-travel/back-focus for BVs. It may be nip and tuck. The Baader focuser itself is excellent - especially the lightness and smoothness of the micro-focuser. An unexpected upside is how well baffled/matted the inside surfaces of the Baader are.

IMG_3267.jpeg

• Like 9

Set of 90mm tube rings from everyone's favourite auntie.  3D printed some spacers and lined them on the inside with felt so they would hold the Tair 3.

Should be clear all night so early bed and out at 0100 to give it a test once the moon has gone to bed.  Will give it a try and M42 and the horsehead since they will be up and about.

PSX_20221103_115306.jpg

• Like 6