Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Must take a fair while to image at F15!

The Mak is F15 the M/N 190 is F 5.3, that is the scope I meant was a really good one, my favourite I think. I feel the mak is best maybe for planetry shots, not that I have ever tried one. I got the Mak 180mm as a cheaper way to a scope I wanted, that was a a 150mm APO, thought the Mak would stop the want, didn't work. many people say it's mainly for planets and the Moon but there are plenty of things that look great through it.

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

I didn't make any, only dumped the eyepieces. Good scope, I like it. Suberb for imaging!

Ah yes - that thing! Well if you complained, and it got to "Mak Central," then you may have been one of the complaints that got the sellers to go after Synta regards the issue (that issue - there were more...) Then you were making buying a Mak safe for people today! Thank you, Alan!

Synta did an excellent job of fixing this problem too. It's tight and cured. When I bought mine in early '16, I was concerned about the focuser more than mirror-flop, so I also ordered the Crayford. But I really didn't need to - the loose and sloppy focus-knob interface, as well as the ill-fitting VB disaster, had both been fixed by Synta. Now the Crayford (and by the time I ordered mine arrived - of course! :p) had been rendered un-necessary. But I'm glad I did get the Crayford. These GSO Crayfords are overkill! A breath of air, seemingly, brings you to scalpel-sharp focussing - with several turns of the 10:1 fine-focusing wheel to spare.

And about 25% of the cost of the Moonlite. If you shop around.

Have Fun!

Dave

p.s. - You'll LOVE that scope! And Alan? Here's a "Thank- You" Note (musical) -

5 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Are the supplied SW eyepieces realy that bad, my C90 Mak came with a very nice 32 mm plossl jobbie..

Alan

Alan,

No I am sure they are not but at the time I have 4 cases of televues, I gave them to my friend who is the Meade dealer to gift with someone elses scope purchase to get them started.

8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Are the supplied SW eyepieces realy that bad, my C90 Mak came with a very nice 32 mm plossl jobbie..

Alan

The SW comes with what looks a junk EP. A 27mm 'LET.' At least I think it calls itself a 'LET.' Anywho, it's a 2" Kellner. And it's actually quite nice - which surprised me as I likely read the same reviews as you. So try it before you judge it is my advice. If you just go by reviews alone, the Human-Mind can do odd things that will essentially blind someone.

So Don't Think About A Horse's White Tail!

evaD :p

After reading all the comments here i took care to inspect the visual back on my mak, ive had many cassegrains through the years and know enough to spot bad quality, im happy to say that there seems to be nothing wrong with fit and finish on the rear end at all.

I will be replacing the 2 inch hulking diagonal with my much better quality 1 1/4 dielectric, my celestron inch & 1/4 visual back screws on no issues, i don't see a need for a giant 2" diagonal which adds weight and forces me to overextend my counterweight since i have one only. 

Are there any issues with using an 1 1/4 diagonal with this mak that i'm not grasping? all my eyepieces are 1 1/4 anyway, maybe some of the issues reported by some are on older models? 

visual back.JPG

visual back 2.JPG

4 hours ago, iPeace said:

I'll say! I probably won't avoid having one of these in this lifetime.

:happy11:

You must have some very nice clear skies in the Netherlands, would be a great place to use a Mak i would think!

18 hours ago, Sunshine said:

After reading all the comments here i took care to inspect the visual back on my mak, ive had many cassegrains through the years and know enough to spot bad quality, im happy to say that there seems to be nothing wrong with fit and finish on the rear end at all.

I will be replacing the 2 inch hulking diagonal with my much better quality 1 1/4 dielectric, my celestron inch & 1/4 visual back screws on no issues, i don't see a need for a giant 2" diagonal which adds weight and forces me to overextend my counterweight since i have one only. 

Are there any issues with using an 1 1/4 diagonal with this mak that i'm not grasping? all my eyepieces are 1 1/4 anyway, maybe some of the issues reported by some are on older models? 

visual back.JPG

visual back 2.JPG

I use a 1.25" diagonal in my Mak occasionally. No issues - you're good to go!

By the way, the GSO di-electric mirror diagonal is a fine piece-of-glass - and quite underpriced, too.

https://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-90-deg-99-dielectric-mirror-diagonal-compression-ring.html

Onwards -

Dave

Archived