Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sumerian ?

Hi people. I'm looking for advice on purchasing my last Dob ever, my dream scope. It has to be around 12 - 14" aperture, truss design. I think I'm sticking with manual, the hunt is part of the thrill.  Budget maximum of £2500 (thank you Mrs Ally ?) On my list so far is Sumerian and David Lukehurst.

Can you help please. 

Al.

Well you must of been a good boy this year if Mrs Ally has allowed you that budget?

David Lukehurst are great scopes, also Obsession. I don't know if you are going used or second hand , but some good deals do come up.

If it's your last scope and it's trust design,if you can handle it then go with the 14" ish maximum aperture is always good especially for DSO, also you don't want the " what if "factor if you go for the smaller 12" aperture of the two. Always in the back of your mind would be if you should of really gone for the larger one?

If really your last Dob, then go for the best mirror you can 1/10 as you need top notch glass/Optics to make sure at the heart of the Dob there will be no nagging doubts in good seeing conditions then you have the best views possible as at the heart of the scope you have confidence in your high quality mirror to provide this,??

Good luck with your hunt, and hopefully you will  get your Dob?

Al I will be interesting in the comments and suggestions that you receive. Like you I have a 12" Revelation Dob which is very good. However, on occasions I wish I had access to a 14" or 16" Dob. I suppose I really fancy a 14" Orion VX14 but I can understand your wish for a Truss Dob. Clearly for £2500 you could get a much bigger scope from Skywatcher but you may prefer the quality from Sumerian or David Lukehurst.

9 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

I seem to recall @Daniel-K had a slightly unfortunate experience with a Sumerian. Quality control may have improved since his purchase. He did quite a detailed thread on his findings if I recall... If you can't find it, PM him. he's a most helpful fellow...

Pretty sure that was a one off, I've not heard of any other issues and the quality I've seen has been very good.

I had a 16" Sumerian Canopus scope and really enjoyed it. For the size it was very portable and easy to use. I know some of the Dob Mob guys thought it was not rigid enough, but for me it was fine; the compromise between portability, weight and rigidity was acceptable in my eyes and the collimation held very well. I believe he is only doing up to 12" scopes now, and in terms of ultimate portability I think they are probably amongst the best out there.

I would, however, certainly have a good look at David Lukehurst's scopes. They look beautifully designed and built; a bit chunckier than the Sumerian but probably more rigid as a result.

A nice decision to have to make!

By the way, I would certainly strongly consider a John Nichol mirror to put in your lovely new scope, if budget will allow.

I would say that as wrong as it was the scope sent to Daniel was very much a one off, I had mine made at the same time and though it was a different type is superb. It still looks as good today as it did almost 2 yeasr ago, or it may even be 3 years, getting old. Mike at Sumerian is a nice guy and was always helpful and more to point kept you informed. He was at the time having problems with a supplier and had a backlodge of scopes awaiting mirrors. I offered to take a back burner. The scope came in 3 parts one of which visited England twice on its way to me.

I one hundred percent recommend him, even better if you push the boat out and go for a John Nichol's mirror, mine is incredible and Michaelwill deal with John like he did for mine..

Alan

Not knocking Sumerian at all, heard lots of good things.  But I can fully endorse David Lukehurst Dobs. I don’t own one, but personally know someone who’s dealt with him using his own 17.5” mirror. David is a top bloke, understands what is needed to please individual requirements, and has even supplied a fellow club members request to supply the “pebbled” finish formica for altitude bearings. And if you are up for a drive, you can visit David Lukehurst to meet him personally.

Ed.

In defence of Michael at Sumarian the tale of his "bad" scopes was a bit involved.

Michael started out making the assorted scopes in relatively large sizes, he made about 4 versions. The whole thing was based on you bought a mirror, gave it to him and he constructed the body of whichever scope design around that.

At some time and likely as a stream of requests he made a"smaller" scope at 8", and instead of you supplying the mirror he puschased a GSO one and in effect made the whole package. You just bought the completed scope and it used less costly mirrors - I was thinking of one. All went well until GSO had a bad batch and Michael ended up with a number of these bad ones. He did not realise, so constructed scopes then got complaints.

As best I know he sorted them and replaced mirrors but it kind of put him off the lower cost idea of using off the shelf items and complete scopes.

He has reduced the number of scopes now, and may sell the smaller ones through TS - that means that if a poor mirror appears TS are the supplier and they stock the GSO mirrors. So they would replace.

Think he is back to the principle that you purchase the mirror, or he will if it is in writing purchase an OO mirror on your behalf. In effect the mirror purchase is your "problem". Often wonder about a Hubble Optics sandwich mirror.

Think in a way that everyone lost, Micheal was put off the idea and people like me cannot get a reasonable lightweight scope at a reasonable cost at least one with a bit of character. Those who purchased before the bad batch were happy and stil are with their purchase.

In practical terms if you are in the UK then David Luckhurst is likely a sensible choice, easier to go see him (well more or less) as Michael in just outside Schipol airport. But it wouls be a day out in Holland and they have a good train service to get anywhere. As ever final cost will play a significant part.

I’m still very happy with my 16” Sumerian Canopus. I think the scope Daniel had a problem with was the lighter less rigid travel model.

I tend to use it at home but it is very portable and is very neat to store. It has a top quality OO mirror which is very easy to colimate and gives great views.

The Sumerian Canopus model is a lovely looking scope, and I very nearly went for one - but I'm not sure that model is presently available? - seems like the Alkaid is only offered through TS (12" f5 quartz for your budget).  There are a good few reviews of the Alkaids around - also on CN.  If light weight portability is king for you...

I see a >0.95 strehl f5 14" for £2995 on David Lukehurst's website, if you can stretch to that bit extra.  With your budget I'd be looking hard at that option ;) At f5 you can avoid/defer the cost of a coma corrector, if that argument can justify an extra bit of spend on the scope itself!

An other option of course is 2nd hand: I see a year 2000 18" obsession plus eq platform was sold for £2k... you never know what might turn up if you are patient :)

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=129686

Good luck with the decision!

Archived