Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

30Nov - Big Dob wows Ursa Major Galaxies before Dawn

alanjgreen

Date: Thur 30 November   0250-0600am              Scope: 20” f3.6 Dob with paracorr2

Preparation is Everything

After an early morning session on Tuesday had shown me that Orion has passed (the sheds drop down side) by this early hour I had made a plan to get stuck into Ursa Major on Thursday morning as the weather was expected to be clear AGAIN!  Yesterday,  I put the wheelbarrow handles on and re-positioned the scope ready.

Seeing that the devils orb (moon) would be gone by 0315, I set my alarm for 0230 (to allow me some time to get setup, collimate etc) so I could maximise my no-moon time before dawn would start to break.

I have also added a 1cm thick layer of foam to the top of my eyepiece box to hopefully protect the unused eyepieces from the cold :)

Not a good start

It was 0250 by the time I opened the roof, having setup & collimated the big dob. I quickly performed the 2 star align for Nexus and tested it out on M37. Working!

The pesky moon was still casting its milky shadow :( so I had a peek at a couple of targets from Tuesday morning to make a comparison of the conditions – Intergalactic Wanderer and Eskimo nebula. Neither were as good as Tuesday morning but I was fresh outside with tiny pupils and milky moon so I hoped it would get better…

I was looking at the Eskimo in the Ethos8 and it was surprisingly easy to get a sharp focus so I decided to make this my goto eyepiece for this session and wrapped it in the heater tape to keep it in a useable condition.

As I can’t keep all the eyepieces warm I decided that E8 and E13 would be my two of choice tonight.

Darkness finally fell as the moon finally decided to go bother someone else

Planetary Appetiser

Eskimo planetary – Ethos8 (x250) With the darker sky, the Eskimo came to life. The unfiltered view showed the centre star surrounded by two circular disks of nebula, an inner brighter disk and an outer dimmer disk. With some time spent at the eyepiece a thin black circle developed between the two disks. I tried the UHC which made the nebula brighter and the disks more distinct, the star was now harder to see. The black circle was not there but I saw a black blob or mouth shape coming and going with averted. Looking at the images this morning the blob could have been one side of the black ring I was seeing earlier. This target will need a re-visit or more power…

NGC2372 planetary – Ethos8. As the target came into view I thought it was a merging galaxy, it had 2 cores surrounded by some elongated dust. I checked sky safari to discover it was a planetary nebula! Its an unusual target for sure.

Medusa nebula – Ethos8. This planetary took me by surprise as it is so Big. I had to double check the sizes in Sky Safari and change the eyepiece to the E13 (x150) to get it into the FOV. Unfiltered it was pretty faint but the UHC helped to improve the clarity and shape of this large cloud. I pondered why it was called the medusa as I couldn’t see why?

I did ponder the O3 but decided I could not be bothered with all the on/off and changing my gloves, it was UHC or nothing from now on!

Galaxy group NGC2294,2291,2289,2288,2290 – I came across these on Tuesday morning and they were quite a treat at x200. This time I had the E8 at x250. The galaxies are not easy to see and that makes getting them into the FOV a bit of a challenge. With Nexus to help it was soon accomplished! The galaxies make a nice semi circle shape, three of them are easy to locate and with some concentration, you can see that they are decent size. I managed 4 on Tuesday, but now I could see all five of them. 2291 is a toughie due to its larger size and 2288 is small in comparison (this is the one I did not see on Tuesday). If you have decent aperture then these are worth a visit, it’s a view to rival Stephans Quintet with the plus that each of the galaxies also appears larger to the eye.

Owl neb – Ethos8. The owl is large at x250. It is circular with undefined edges. Inside the shape you can easily see two dark circular blobs (the eyes). I threw in the UHC and felt that there was no real improvement. The two eyes remain ghostly and it’s a target that takes some concentration as it drifts across the view. It felt like I had the right eyepiece for this target as it was nicely framed in the E8.

This is what I waited for!

With the new dob, its going to be like “the first time” all over again as I will hopefully get a new experience with my favourite targets – galaxies.

M82 glx – Ethos8. What a way to start! M82 fills the FOV with its massive cigar like shape. :) The centre core is wide and bright to the top of the galaxy centre. There is a surrounding lighter grey cloud going out both sides and under the bright core. Two black”darts” pierce into the galaxy from outside. The view is so “image like” that I have to spend a decent amount of time trying to see more and more.

M81 glx – Ethos8. M81 fills the FOV at x250. :):)The large bright central core sits in a pool of dust that surrounds it. This central area is surrounded by blackness as a gap in the lanes is discerned. There is an outer circular halo that marks the galaxies faint outer edges on two sides. I can sense an arm circling on one side of the galaxy. The other side edges are less clear and the arm there remains unseen. Ethos13 – At x150, the galaxy is better framed but the detail does not match that seen at the higher magnification. 

M108 glx – Ethos8. The galaxy has no central core, the brightest area was to the left of centre. I could see darker central areas inside a larger dusty cigar shape. My notes concluded that it was an unusual view! Intriguing – I will be back for more!

M109 glx – Ethos8. Another side-on galaxy. It had a large bright core with dark areas above and below (arm gaps) The gas arms were faint but they was there sweeping around the edges. Averted helped with the arms but I could not see the direction of spin so they were “incomplete arms”. :) 

M106 + 4248 glx – Ethos8. M106 fills the FOV at x250! It appears as a stretched out “S” shape. The lower S is bright and clear but the upper S is much fainter. What a great target :):) You can also see NGC4248 sitting just off the lower arm. 

M51 glx – Ethos8 (x250) = WOW! :):):)Now I know why I moved to a 20” dob! You move the galaxy into the FOV and THERE IT IS, IN ALL ITS GLORY! Just like a photograph, the two huge spiral arms wrap around the central core (no averted vision needed :) – they are just there in front of you!). I sit there loving the view. Then you start to see little NGC5195 at its side and look for the “bridge”. Actually the bridge was only clear with averted! In direct vision there was a section missing out towards 5195.    

I remained for quite some time and the galaxy seemed to be fading away as I watched, the dawn was coming :( 

I dashed over to the Sunflower and M94 but was underwhelmed after M51 so back I went for some more… It was fainter now AND THE COLD WAS STARTING TO BITE  INTO MY TOES

I decided to call it a night, it was 0600.

Epilogue

After I closed the roof and turned the light on, the UTA was covered in real ice crystals, chunky ones. The shroud was sparking in the light as the ice droplets reflected the light.

The thermometer in the shed read as -4

Walking back to the house, I glanced up at Ursa Major. To my surprise I could see M101, M51 and a mystery third patch by the side of the ploughs handle – A SIGN OF THE GOOD CONDITIONS. (As I observe without my glasses, the only time I see the sky naked eye is during initial alignment or on the walk to/from the shed - another plus for Nexus - no need to wear my glasses!)

When I got inside my house, I saw my new APM 16x70 EDs sitting on the desk and the enthusiasm to go see those grey patches beat off the cold chills. I got back outside and saw both M51 & M101 through binos FOR THE FIRST TIME. I ran around the house and bagged the Double Cluster and Andromeda for good measure. The cold north wind caught me and I felt the “Brrr, its time to go inside” feeling flood over me...

Clear Skies,

Alan

3 1/2 hours out in the cold - a lot of enthusiasm, and marvellous targets!

12 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

With the new dob, its going to be like “the first time” all over again

I made the same experience many years ago, when I got my 18" Obsession (with LOMO Sital mirror).

Nothing beats a big quality dob under dark skies!

Stephan

M51 with the naked eye!!! That is dark!

Splendid Write up. I particularly liked the M52 bit. That will be one of those memories that will keep popping back into your head and sustain the enthusiasm whilst we wait for the moon / clouds to get out of the way.

I'll have to try the NGC2372 planetary.

Paul

Wonderful report, Alan. I couldn’t see M101 with my scope until I took it to a dark site. Super impressed that you could see it naked eye. M51 is a special target. I’ve never experienced views of it like you have but something about it really captures my imagination!

M51 from the clear transparent skies of Galloway in February will stay with me as long as I draw breath.

From a dark site with good skies galaxies are memorable. The image scale in a large dob just blows you away. Little fuzzies turn into large spirals with knots and whispy bits.

Nice read Alan I've seen them too and they are full on wow moments :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, mapstar said:

M51 from the clear transparent skies of Galloway in February will stay with me as long as I draw breath.

From a dark site with good skies galaxies are memorable. The image scale in a large dob just blows you away. Little fuzzies turn into large spirals with knots and whispy bits.

Nice read Alan I've seen them too and they are full on wow moments :thumbsup:

With the ethos8 it took up half the FOV! The arms were as you say "unforgettable".

On 30/11/2017 at 12:43, alanjgreen said:

Date: Thur 30 November   0250-0600am              Scope: 20” f3.6 Dob with paracorr2

Preparation is Everything

After an early morning session on Tuesday had shown me that Orion has passed (the sheds drop down side) by this early hour I had made a plan to get stuck into Ursa Major on Thursday morning as the weather was expected to be clear AGAIN!  Yesterday,  I put the wheelbarrow handles on and re-positioned the scope ready.

Seeing that the devils orb (moon) would be gone by 0315, I set my alarm for 0230 (to allow me some time to get setup, collimate etc) so I could maximise my no-moon time before dawn would start to break.

anyone setting their alarm of 02:30hrs in the morning, in the UK Winter, deserves a heck of a lot of respect; delighted for you that it was so worthwhile!

Archived