NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion's Belt and Sword wide(ish) field in Ha(7nm)

bdlbug

After a few months hiatus, weather, work and holiday, I finally got back into imaging mode last Sunday night into early hours - it was a cracking night for astronomy ,cold, clear and dry. I am still using my Samyang 135mm paired with ASI1600MC - its a compelling combination as it is a very light combo and the camera sensitivity allows me to use my AZ-EQ6 mount unguided with 30s or 60s subs.

So I took 60 x 60s subs in Ha(7nm), Baader, I used my flat,dark and bias from last session as nothing had changed in the setup (its in a obsy) and DSS stacked 54 of them

This is 54minutes capture with curves and levels stretch in PS and also used a mild process with AstroFlat , probably a bit noisy but given the short integration time, its not too bad.  Anyone have any pointers how to best process Ha, I will admit not having tried too hard to find any specific tutorials yet as I was quite pleased with the light processing I applied.

I also captured two exposure sets of Lum 30s and 15s (1.5hr worth) plus 30min Red, but Orion was obscured behind my hedge by 3am so next session I can capture Green and Blue then I can compose a HaLRGB image. (The hedge got a 'trim' yesterday :) )

Thanks for looking,

Bryan

5a0abbb58f9d0_OrionConstellation121117Ha7nmPSStretchedandAstroFlat.thumb.jpg.3d12f2f2a72bc59ff24195b0ce915319.jpgI

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have the filter screwed into the  camera / lens  coupling  adapter  or over the end of the 135mm lens ??     This looks like an exciting development in terms of very wide field fast imaging.

Know what you mean about hedges !!  I'm surrounded by them !! but in a bad, bad way.

Sean.

Cheers Bryan.  Thats a very nice set up.    Certainly is a 'mini' filter wheel.   Mine looks like a dustbin lid by comparison.  !!

Do you control everything remotely from a server PC  or through two USB connections and longish cables ?

Sean.

Sean, only need one USB cable from camera as it has a dual USB hub built in so a short USB cable links in filter wheel, other cable is a 12v power lead. My pc is in the obsy so I use 3m cables, I don’t have a Remote Desktop or server program, I usually sit out and visually observe naked eye or with some binoculars while the technology does its thing

Bryan

• 1 month later...

BDL. I am currently putting the same combo together and could use your help. Can you tell me the size and where you got your tube ring as well as the dual ring saddle thing you have up front on the lens? I do have the asi holder but need something to mount a guidescope and keep the lens stable. Thanks!

@powasam5000

The components I used are very simple,  one important point I don't use a guidescope as I am imaging at  6.08"/pixel with 30s-90s exposures so I use the mount unguided - so your main question about mounting a guidescope is not something I can comment upon,

You can probably get better and more specific help if you ask this in the Equipment Whole setups section of the forum as many people have built some impressive wide field rigs https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/124-discussions-scopes-whole-setups/

For my specific imaging rig the components I use are the standard ZWO ASI1600 camera clamp and then the following

Model: ADM_Guidescope_Fnderscope_Rings_100mmADM Guidescope Rings

Model: adm_losmandy_dovetail-2ADM Losmandy-type Universal Dovetail bars : 7" imperial

The component you think is a dual ring saddle up front on the lens is a Microfocuser, as explained below, getting accurate fine focus by manually twisting the lens is impossible - a better solution some other have built is to use a belt drive with a ASCOM controlled focusing motor - you can probably google 'widefield rigs' and see some good examples.

The TeleFokus was created to solve an everyday problem of astro imaging. Focusing astro images precisely can be extremely difficult. The focusing mechanism of standard camera lenses is not really up to the task. A very fine movement of the focusing mechanism already changes focus by a larger amount than desired. Even if perfect focus is found it is often lost again because the focus cannot be locked. The TeleFocus can be fitted on most standard lenses and provides both a very fine focusing movement and also a focus lock.https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3285_Microfocuser-and-focus-lock-fuer-camera-lenses-up-to-D-80mm.html

Hope this information helps you build your own rig

Bryan

5 hours ago, peter shah said:

Superb image....Ive thought about buying a Samyang for wide field.....after seeing this I might just do it

I kept telling myself this for over a year but kept buying other equipment instead.

I recently purchased one from a fellow user here and my only regret is that I didn't get one sooner. It truly is an amazing lens.

This is a single 120 second sub shot at f2 with an unmodded canon 600d on a star adventurer. 

orion after.jpg

12 hours ago, newbie alert said:

All the samyang  range are impressive but the 2 that stand out are the 135mm and the wider 24mm

8 hours ago, geordie85 said:

I kept telling myself this for over a year but kept buying other equipment instead.

I recently purchased one from a fellow user here and my only regret is that I didn't get one sooner. It truly is an amazing lens.

This is a single 120 second sub shot at f2 with an unmodded canon 600d on a star adventurer. 

orion after.jpg

I know Samyang is very under rated, I had a 14mm which was amazing....

I want something I can use with my Sony A7s. Ive  a Nikon 200m f2.8 which you would think as being a very capable lens but its not great for astro stuff. Prime lenses will always beat  zoom lenses every time and the Nikon just doesn't give pin stars especially at the edge. My main concern was what the star shape was like at the edge of the field especially on a full frame, chromatic aberration etc. .... The Samyang 135 was one I was thinking about and its really nice to see one used for astro imaging.

Thanks for sharing this image. Do you have any other examples I can take a look at?

2 hours ago, peter shah said:

I know Samyang is very under rated, I had a 14mm which was amazing....

I want something I can use with my Sony A7s. Ive  a Nikon 200m f2.8 which you would think as being a very capable lens but its not great for astro stuff. Prime lenses will always beat  zoom lenses every time and the Nikon just doesn't give pin stars especially at the edge. My main concern was what the star shape was like at the edge of the field especially on a full frame, chromatic aberration etc. .... The Samyang 135 was one I was thinking about and its really nice to see one used for astro imaging.

Thanks for sharing this image. Do you have any other examples I can take a look at?

I don't have many as I've only had this lens for a month. 

This is andromeda taken from my heavily light polluted back garden.

m31135mm.jpg

Archived