SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Adventurer/Orion 1st light

JemC

After reading the manual through (still don't fully understand it :happy11:) i managed to get myself into the back garden with my newly acquired Star Adventurer,

Probably not the best of nights to be having a go at this, but new toy and wanting to try it out, it has to be done :icon_biggrin:

got it all lined up and polar aligned (not to happy with the polar illuminator) i was however open to the elements and it was quite blustery with no means of sheltering my set up from it, 

then there was that great lump of rock shining ever so bright :sad: and it was surprisingly cold, but persevere i must,

images taken with 

unmodified Canon 600d & 55-250mm lens set at approx 135mm
ISO800
No light pollution filter
No darks
No bias
No flats

37 x 60 sec lights

processed (sort of)with DSS and then fettled a little in Photoshop cc

thanks for looking

42LONG.thumb.jpg.7328c09f9eaa23631ac506b228273a24.jpg

Well done Jemc with your first attempt, I bet you are pleased with it :-)

The star Adventurer is a great mount and will reward you with lovely images of wide view objects. Not sure if you are using the L bracket, the polar illuminator doesn't like staying on the L bracket, I bet it's a design feature :-) :-) The better your polar alignment the better your resulting images. I've found timing polar alignment when Polaris is just on a division helps improve accuracy.

To get around light pollution will need a suitable filter but you can improve the final image by taking dark frames, flat frames and bias frames to use with the light frames when stacking. Getting proficient with your stacking software and your processing software will yield much improved results. 

Good luck.

Steve

5 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Well done Jemc with your first attempt, I bet you are pleased with it :-)

I certainly am happy with it, 

there is a bit of a learning curve with it, but overall it's a brilliant piece of kit, 

I was using the L bracket, i also need to get myself another tripod as the one i am using is not as sturdy as i thought it was, fine with just a camera on it, but not when the SA is on it as well,

Going to have another go tonight if it stays clear, this time though i think i am going to try my little Celestron Travel Scope 70 see how that performs on it :happy11:

Regards

Archived