Narrowband

Orion's Belt and Sword wide(ish) field in Ha(7nm)

bdlbug

20 hours ago, BDL_Bug said:

@powasam5000

The components I used are very simple,  one important point I don't use a guidescope as I am imaging at  6.08"/pixel with 30s-90s exposures so I use the mount unguided - so your main question about mounting a guidescope is not something I can comment upon,

You can probably get better and more specific help if you ask this in the Equipment Whole setups section of the forum as many people have built some impressive wide field rigs https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/124-discussions-scopes-whole-setups/

For my specific imaging rig the components I use are the standard ZWO ASI1600 camera clamp and then the following

Model: ADM_Guidescope_Fnderscope_Rings_100mmADM Guidescope Rings

Model: adm_losmandy_dovetail-2ADM Losmandy-type Universal Dovetail bars : 7" imperial

The component you think is a dual ring saddle up front on the lens is a Microfocuser, as explained below, getting accurate fine focus by manually twisting the lens is impossible - a better solution some other have built is to use a belt drive with a ASCOM controlled focusing motor - you can probably google 'widefield rigs' and see some good examples.

The TeleFokus was created to solve an everyday problem of astro imaging. Focusing astro images precisely can be extremely difficult. The focusing mechanism of standard camera lenses is not really up to the task. A very fine movement of the focusing mechanism already changes focus by a larger amount than desired. Even if perfect focus is found it is often lost again because the focus cannot be locked. The TeleFocus can be fitted on most standard lenses and provides both a very fine focusing movement and also a focus lock.https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3285_Microfocuser-and-focus-lock-fuer-camera-lenses-up-to-D-80mm.html

Hope this information helps you build your own rig

Bryan

Thank you so much for the info Bryan. Honeslty this is all the info I need to finish this setup. The info on guiding changes things now. May end up doing the focusing and focus lock as suggested. Once again thanks so much!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/22/2017 at 13:00, BDL_Bug said:

@powasam5000

The components I used are very simple,  one important point I don't use a guidescope as I am imaging at  6.08"/pixel with 30s-90s exposures so I use the mount unguided - so your main question about mounting a guidescope is not something I can comment upon,

You can probably get better and more specific help if you ask this in the Equipment Whole setups section of the forum as many people have built some impressive wide field rigs https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/124-discussions-scopes-whole-setups/

For my specific imaging rig the components I use are the standard ZWO ASI1600 camera clamp and then the following

Model: ADM_Guidescope_Fnderscope_Rings_100mmADM Guidescope Rings

Model: adm_losmandy_dovetail-2ADM Losmandy-type Universal Dovetail bars : 7" imperial

The component you think is a dual ring saddle up front on the lens is a Microfocuser, as explained below, getting accurate fine focus by manually twisting the lens is impossible - a better solution some other have built is to use a belt drive with a ASCOM controlled focusing motor - you can probably google 'widefield rigs' and see some good examples.

The TeleFokus was created to solve an everyday problem of astro imaging. Focusing astro images precisely can be extremely difficult. The focusing mechanism of standard camera lenses is not really up to the task. A very fine movement of the focusing mechanism already changes focus by a larger amount than desired. Even if perfect focus is found it is often lost again because the focus cannot be locked. The TeleFocus can be fitted on most standard lenses and provides both a very fine focusing movement and also a focus lock.https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3285_Microfocuser-and-focus-lock-fuer-camera-lenses-up-to-D-80mm.html

Hope this information helps you build your own rig

Bryan

Hi Bryan, if I may ask one more question , what block are u mounting the ring on? It seems like it is sitting on a riser  block. The ones on adm seem like ring only. Any specifics on this? Thanks a million again !

• 10 months later...

Basically you don't - there is vignetting in the subs with this setup and taking a good set of flats are a must and incorporating flats into the stacking corrects the optical vignetting.  I create flats for every filter - some people may say that this is overkill and use only one set of flats taken through 'L' filter.

Bryan

Archived