NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Warm winter hats advice

Paz

I'm on the look out for a warm winter hat for observing. I had a big Benny hat you could roll down over your ears but lost it and can't seem to find anything like it again. I had in mind maybe one of those sheepskin trapper hats, has anyone used these out in the field? I thought trapper hats looked promising with no peaked cap to bump into the eyepiece and the ability to cover your ears and neck, or are there other good options people have tried and tested?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I wore my new down filled beanie hat by Outdoor Research. Snug, pulls over your ears, very warm, weighs next to nothing and practical with my compact head torch and for looking through eyepieces etc. Purchased also as a hat to wear when cold weather camping. Size large will fit normal size adult head, the medium at a pinch. For younger people, my 16 year old daughter has one in medium, good fit, for her D of E and other winter outdoor camping pursuits.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/socks-gloves-mitts-hats-c151/hats-c154/transcendent-down-beanie-p3354

I teach sailing all year round off the West Coast of Scotland and I wear one of these https://www.furhatworld.com/russian-hats-c-42_45.html

Breathable - very warm and comfortable.

For astro use it doesnt interfere with a head torch.

It dries fast and holds its shape well.

Not cheap and several bunnies were harmed in its making!

If you don't mind how it looks, the possibilities are endless. £15 fake grey fur Ewok hat in my case.......

As long as it covers neck and ears, it'll do! It is worth spending more than I did to get something breathable.

Paul

For the winter nights I either wear a black ushanka/Ушанка (the Russian military service hat), c/w red star, hammer, sickle emblem/badge if it is really cold. These do keep your head warm. Otherwise a 'beanie' with my local astro society logo embroidered on it, (I won it at last year [2016] in the xmas raffle), or another 'beanie' with the South Park characters embroidered on it.

For the hands... a pair of machined knitted mittens. I cannot get on with gloves when focussing or changing eyepieces, etc.

:happy7:

Just a simple £1 thinsulate hat. There's one over at security light in the Peaks ! Personally , I've found anything too thick becomes far too warm.

The place that you lose the most heat is the neck area . A buff is ideal a star you can pull it up to ear level. A thin wooden scarf is ideal if those temperatures plunge,

Nick.

1 hour ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

I've found this to be the best one yet. It's also useful for star hopping,once you've trained it up.

image.jpeg

I find the fastenings a bit sharp on that model but my night vision is vastly improved!

1 hour ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

I've found this to be the best one yet. It's also useful for star hopping,once you've trained it up.

image.jpeg

Thank you for that :). I have been in agony with acute back pain all morning and that's the first thing to make me laugh today :) 

Lots of good ideas there, more than I had found. The photos are inspiring, and make me feel much less of an oddball! If I can find my balaclava later I'll put up a picture and join the dodgy astronomy hat owners club!

Archived