Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hey Guys, I have set my self a budget and after reading peoples recommendations, i've got some equipment together. I am new to this and before buying, i want to know if this set up is ideal ... Thanks In Advance, just want some reassurance haha :) Matthew

SkyWatcher NEQ6 PRO SynScan Equatorial Mount & Tripod

Explore Scientific ED APO 80mm f/6 Deluxe FCD-100 Hex-Focus

Altair 60mm Guide Scope & GPCAM2 Mono Guide Camera

Baader RGB Filter Set 1.25 Inch With IR Cutoff Filter

SkyWatcher 5 Position Filter Wheel

SkyWatcher Light Pollution Filter 1.25 Inch
Nikon t ring & 1.25 inch adapter 
Nikon d5200 (not astro edited)

I think the NEQ6 might be superseded by the EQ6-R.

Is there a flattener available for the ES 80 that you are looking at?  You will need a flattener for DSO imaging.

Focus - Bahtinov mask?

If you are planning on using a Nikon, why are you bothering with filters?  For CCD imaging, I'd get the CCD filter set from Baader - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/rgb-filters-filter-sets/baader-lrgbc-ccd-filter-set.html  However, if you are thinking about lunar/planetary imaging, then the absorptive filters are OK .... But you are a little short of focal length for planetary.  DSO and solar system imaging are really two different beasts that require different set-ups.  I wouldn't try to find a compromise 'one scope to rule them all' - it doesn't exist - I've tried it - it cost me money!

I'd suggest that the setup is looking more on the dso side rather than planetary so can't see the use of the filters/filter wheel unless it's for using with the gp cam? 

You will need a field flattener reducer...

If it's for planets,I'd look at other scopes..as it will work but there's others that will do a better job..

I expect you are going to be happy with the scope. At least I am very happy with my ES ED80 apo even if it is only the earlier FCD-1 model. A short focal length scope like that is the best for getting started with astrophoto as it is not very demanding on guiding or in need of long exposures. However, you should invest in a field flattener (ES sells a nice rather inexpensive one) or your stars will look odd at the edges of the image.

This is the flattner you need - ready to attach to your Nikon and then just push it into the 2" holder at the end of the focuser (where the star diagonal is pushed in):

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Accessories/Correctors-Reducer/Explore-Scientific-MPCC-Field-Flatt-ED-APO-NikonT2.html

You can attach a 2" filter to the tread at the end of the flattner. Like a Hutech IDAS light pollution filter.

If you can add little more for your budget then look at AZ-EQ6 over NEQ6, maybe you will plan to do visual too, so AZ is good to have too, think about it as 2 in 1, not sure a dual mode mount isn't as good as only EQ mode mount, but from what i read here and there, it is as good plus it has AZ/ALT which is a big plus.

Archived