Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

steppenwolf

The Orion Nebula - a different processing technique!

steppenwolf    4,633

This cross-stitch is now almost complete so I thought you might like to see an update. The full cross stitch is completely circular but this photograph has been cropped slightly for another purpose.

stitched_at_the_eyepiece.thumb.png.97b9df7e7dded44e38b14eafbd10c69f.png

• Like 14

swag72    5,696

WOW!!! There's really  nothing else that can be said for it's sheer quality and the amount of work that Jane must have put into it...... it is FANTASTIC!! Please pass my biggest respect onto Jane for her work :)

AndyUK    593

An incredible piece of work...  I dread to think how many hours have gone into this!   I'm sure I'd go cross-eyed within 20 minutes...

tooth_dr    1,265

Wonderful. What a talent! Thanks for sharing. 

DaveS    2,705

That is astonishing!

Stub Mandrel    6,364

Belongs in a museum collection as a unique example of the craft!

Xiga    392

I can spot a bit of vertical banding :tongue:

No easy fix springs to mind, but working in Layers is definitely not recommended, lol.

All joking aside, this is seriously impressive. Hat, tipped. 

wimvb    2,208

Excellent masterpiece by the Lady with the Sharp Needle.

MARS1960    1,129

That was well worth the wait, it is utterly stunning, brilliant work.

Demonperformer    987

Indeed, very impressive.

Now, if you were to spend as many hours collecting data as she has spent producing this ...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dinglem
      For sale Orion autoguider package in excelent condition £200 delivered.
      Included in box:-
      Orion StarShoot autoguider
      Orion 50mm Guide Scope
      USB2 cable
      RJ11 cable
      Software disc

• By David_L
      A lucky 4 day stretch of clear cold skies
      Welford Observatory springs into life for one of the only times this season
      The forecast in the run up to the 9th of February was promising clear skies but frankly I didn't pay much attention to it as the weather has been so changeable this winter.   The forecast was right though and I managed to not only get many hours in on the 9th but also the 12th, 13th and 15th.   The good weather was not the only surprise though.    I haven't imaged the Great Nebula in Orion since 2012 as I remembered it being very difficult to track from my observatory as it moved along the very edge of the southern wall at the limit of my pier/scope configuration. Also, in 2012 I shot it with a one shot colour camera making life very easy. If I were to image it again I'd be using my ASI1600MM with the need to capture luminance, red, green and blue channels - and if I was very ambitious - H-alpha as well.   It turned out I was feeling very ambitious. And it worked. I think I've captured my best astrophoto to date. Also, I pushed my processing skills (limited as they are) to include the H-alpha in both the luminance and red channels. I'm finding Pixinsight so much easier to use than other programs I've tried, mostly because the standard approach to most of the processes takes the guess work out of some of the more creative damage I can do to the image. :-)    Also, the observatory was ticking over perfectly with very few errors made by me in re-configuring it each night for the next round of imaging.   And so here are the results of one of my most enjoyable series of evenings in the observatory.   Details
      Object name
      The Great Nebula in Orion
      Object ID
      M42
      Date(s)
      9, 12, 13 and 15 February, 2018
      Telescope
      Teleskop Service 65mm
      Camera
      ASI1600MM
      Luminance
      60*1min = 60min
      Red
      25*2min = 50min
      Green
      25*2min = 50min
      Blue
      24*2min = 48min
      Ha
      19*5min = 95min
      Oiii
      Sii
      Total time
      5.05hrs
      Frames
      Processing
      PixInsight / Bias, Flats, Darks / Ha to Lum / Ha to red channel / LHaRHaGB /
      Notes
      I waited this entire winter for an opportunity to get back into the observatory to do some imaging. The weather and my schedule have been appalling.
      I guess I can really stop saying that now as it’s always the case….
      I didn’t expect to image this object – the last time I did was the 14th of January, 2012. It’s very low to the top of my observatory wall and imaging it always seems unlikely.
      But on this occasion, I persevered over the few clear nights we had and managed to capture 5 hours of data in H-alpha, red, green and blue channels.
      This is the most data I’ve captured on an object and it paid off.
      I’ve processed this image combing H-alpha with both the luminance and red channels – then recombining them all for the finished shot.
      I may try re-processing in different combinations but this certainly seems to have worked ok.
        NGC 2244     Details
      Object name
      The Rosette Nebula
      Object ID
      NGC 2244
      Date(s)
      9, 13 February, 2018
      Telescope
      65mm
      Camera
      ASI1600MM
      Luminance
      Red
      Green
      Blue
      Ha
      15*5 min = 75 min
      Oiii
      4*5 min = 20 min
      Sii
      8*5 min = 40 min
      Total time
      2.25 hr
      Frames
      Processing
      PixInsight / Bias, Flats, Darks /
      Notes
      Not enough data to make this a good image – but it’s a start and all the weather would allow for this season.
          M44   Details
      Object name
      The Beehive Cluster
      Object ID
      M44
      Date(s)
      9 February, 2018
      Telescope
      Teleskop Service 65mm astrograph
      Camera
      ASI1600MM
      Luminance
      Red
      25 x 2 min = 50 min
      Green
      19 x 2 min = 38 min
      Blue
      19 x 2 min = 38 min
      Ha
      Oiii
      Sii
      Total time
      2.1 hrs
      Frames
      Processing
      PixInsight / Bias, Flats, Darks
      Notes
      The second of the objects I imaged during this session. The Beehive cluster is the first object I (accidently) observed while trying to find Saturn out on the downs one night back in 2002 when I took up this hobby again. I remember being absolutely stunned by the sight of all these stars blazing in such a small patch of sky.
      The scope I was using had been bought from a work colleague for £50 (I later found out that it was considered ..”toy grade” LOL!) but it was good enough to provide decent images of brighter objects such as this one.

I hope the rest of you were able to take advantage of what was a great clear spell this winter :-)
      David
    • By Hallingskies
      Not that anyone could get fed up with this object...

Date: 01 January 2018
      Equipment: SXV-H9, Vixen 114mm f5.3 ED refractor, guiding with Lodestar X2/PHD
      Subframes: 30 x 300s, 100s & 20s H-alpha, 20 x 20s & 100s RGB 2x2 binned, 20 flats for each channel, no darks (hot pixel removal in Astroart instead).
      Images were acquired and pre-processed (aligned, stacked, denoised) in AstroArt4, then composited in Paint Shop Pro7.
      The Orion Nebula presents quite a challenge to depict because of the wide brightness range of its key features. Many early CCD images of this object as shown on the web "burn out" the "trapezium" region of the four central stars in attempting to show the outlying nebulosity.
      I use the "layers" function in PaintShop Pro, stacking the longest exposures on top of shorter ones, and then carefully use the "eraser" tool to remove overexposed areas, leaving the underlying correctly exposed regions to show through. This has to be done with care to avoid introducing obvious processing artefacts.
      Whilst the latest image processing programs such as Pixinsight have "dynamic range adjustment" features that can automatically produce an even distribution of brightness, some of the resultant images can seem rather strange to my eyes. Programmes like that are way beyond both my budget and my understanding!
      LRGB combination (using the H-alpha stack as the luminance channel) went well in both Astroart and PaintShop Pro. The PSP version was a lot greener than the Astroart one (though you can “weight” colours to compensate for CCD sensitivity at different wavelengths), but I preferred the PSP output as it hinted at the greenish hue of the nebula that is so clearly discernible though the eyepiece.
      All of the brighter features seen in the above image show clearly through my VC200L and a 25mm eyepiece. The central trapezium of four stars shines brilliantly against a bright silvery background, which fades into the convoluted greenish wings of the surrounding nebula. The dark channel between the main portion of the nebula and the upper candle-flame is clearly seen.
      I strove to retain all of these key features in the image above, as well as highlight the extended nebulosity that the eye cannot see.
      Any comments, criticisms or suggestions gratefully received...
    • By RJ901
      M42 and M43: my first target using the new Orion SteadPix EZ. Once all set up, Orion's SteadyPix EZ works really well (though it can be tough swapping lenses on a dark night).
      This pic is actually just one shot made into three layers: 1 layer for is the entire picture, one layer with the main body of M42 cut out, and one layer consisting only of M43. I stacked and processed them on the iPhone with the Photoshop Mix application. I found that playing with the stacking transition settings (Blend) yielded the best results when using the following options: Normal, Brighten or Punch. Cutting away portions of the various layers allowed me to expose just the portion I wanted, so the dimmer nebulousness came through without destroying the rest of the photo.

For me iPhone afocal AP is the way to go... until I can trick my wife into allowing me to buy a an EQ mount, guide scope, imaging OTA, CCD sensors, etc...

13 January 2018
      Memphis, Tennessee, USA
      Sky Watcher 10" Dob
      iPhone 8 Plus
      Sky: NELM 4.5-5 Bortle Class 7-8
      Edit: Used a cheap bluetooth shutter remote to actually take the photo