Seldom found in women,

Never found in man... 

23 hours ago, Racey said:

Patience is a virtue,

Possess it if you can... 

Seldom found in women,

Never found in man... 

Seconded... Motion carried... :thumbsup:

(Don't ask me to give evidence to corroborate things though. Could get @Racey in a spot of bother... :icon_biggrin:)

Over the years I have had at least 8 pairs of primary and secondary mirrors about half with hilux coatings. The only one to show any problems was a secondary hilux mirror where the coating noticeably transmitted after several years. This mirror was subject to repeated dewing and it was this I believe caused the problem. Where I have kept mirrors dew free they have all lasted well.

Hilux is OO  name for multilayer dielectric coating. 

Regards Andrew

1 minute ago, estwing said:

so it looks like they might last longer if you don't get dew on them?

Great! Just observe in a nice warm garage and you'll be sorted!! Saves all that wasted petrol and vodka going to dark sites......well the petrol at least.

More seriously, from the limited samples it seems that larger mirrors are more likely to be affected? I wonder if there is any difference in the process?

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great! Just observe in a nice warm garage and you'll be sorted!! Saves all that wasted petrol and vodka going to dark sites......well the petrol at least.

More seriously, from the limited samples it seems that larger mirrors are more likely to be affected? I wonder if there is any difference in the process?

can't see why Stu?....same process what ever the size?.....:dontknow:

The larger mirrors can hold dew longer because of their increased mass and I think one of the main issues is small bits of organic matter getting wet from the dew on the mirror, which will then etch. Any solvent or gasoline fumes are reputedly bad for the coatings as well.

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

The larger mirrors can hold dew longer because of their increased mass and I think one of the main issues is small bits of organic matter getting wet from the dew on the mirror, which will then etch. Any solvent or gasoline fumes are reputedly bad for the coatings as well.

That would explain it Gerry, so it's not the manufacturing process but purely how they are stored afterwards. I'm surprised that the HiLux is not more resistant to this though.

Is there any merit in storing them more vertical to prevent dew build up? You can also draw from Gerry's comment that a sluice down fairly regularly would help?

I once had a mirror that was fine. I left the cap off for about two weeks and holes appeared in the coating from overnight dew and dry cycles.

My Hilux mirror on my 16 inch seems to be lasting well.

Mark

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Is there any merit in storing them more vertical to prevent dew build up? You can also draw from Gerry's comment that a sluice down fairly regularly would help?

Did you mean horizontally, Stu?

I have been thinking of doing that with my VX12 as it does dew up occasionally when not in use. Might keep the bugs off it too :rolleyes: 

read on cloudy nights how they look after there mirrors, if there is dust on them or had a heavy dew they wash them gently with cotton balls and distilled water. some wash them 2-3 times a year, even mike lockwood does the same. they say the dust/pollen or what ever eats the coatings then can etch the glass, i just power washed mine before looks ace :headbang:

41 minutes ago, DRT said:

Did you mean horizontally, Stu?

I have been thinking of doing that with my VX12 as it does dew up occasionally when not in use. Might keep the bugs off it too :rolleyes: 

Well, I meant the mirror vertically which means the scope horizontally, if that's what you meant :) 

7 minutes ago, faulksy said:

read on cloudy nights how they look after there mirrors, if there is dust on them or had a heavy dew they wash them gently with cotton balls and distilled water. some wash them 2-3 times a year, even mike lockwood does the same. they say the dust/pollen or what ever eats the coatings then can etch the glass, i just power washed mine before looks ace :headbang:

All sounds a bit OCD to me Mike - I just follow Stu's advice and give it "a sluice down" with my new Baader Wonder Mop after every session...

Baader.jpg.e3181104ecd3562c3633868213b765c8.jpg

11 hours ago, Stu said:

That would explain it Gerry, so it's not the manufacturing process but purely how they are stored afterwards. I'm surprised that the HiLux is not more resistant to this though.

I'm not sure about the vertical storage Stu but I think keeping the mirror clean is important to keep the organic matter off so the dew is less harmful. My VX10, which has been tortured through brutal winters and frosted/wet for hours (very many) is fine- in winter here there is very little dust or pollen though... so far it has endured 4 years of this.

My 15" is also fine, it has more organic matter exposure but is kept "outside" and is always near ambient. Lockwood has commented that soaking a mirror to clean it can cause coating issues so now I use spray bottles, first soapy water then RO. 

6 hours ago, estwing said:

My primary had never dewed up out in the field, the mob will confirm this. So it must of happened in storage 

Or it has nowt to do with dew and was badly done ?

In regards to the hilux coating. I am sure I have read somewhere that OO uk have tested the effectiveness of there own hilux coating by leaving an example outside. The mirror has been left outside I think since about 2003 in all weather's, sun , snow , rain you name it. And the mirror coating is still supposed to be in great condition. So if this is correct then maybe there is something in this magical hilux coating ??. Next time someone is around OO uk maybe they can find out if this is correct. And have a look at this all weather mirror and take a photo and post on SGL. I am sure it would be of interest to many SGL members and would also be great publicity for OOuk to the effectiveness of the hilux coatings. So if anyone is around OOuk then do please take a picture of this all weather mirror :-)

they keep samples of each coating they do...there was nothing wrong with my sample as its kept in a cupboard inside a heated factory and barely sees the light of day never hauled out once a month to remote dark sky location in all types of weather where it's supposed to be....I either got a dud (along with Simon) or the coating isn't as hardy as it was once advertised to be

Archived