NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Optics Hilux Coatings?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im biased towards 00 due to the figure of my mirror and my previous mirror, and i would recommend them highly for there craftsmanship.

but in all fairness i did see calvs mirror or should i say glass and it was a mess, same goes for @SimonfromSussex . maybe they were un lucky who knows. but cal takes great care of his mirror even stores it under his bed with lots of odd socks . not that i have seen them of course :happy11:

7 hours ago, Timebandit said:

In regards to the hilux coating. I am sure I have read somewhere that OO uk have tested the effectiveness of there own hilux coating by leaving an example outside. The mirror has been left outside I think since about 2003 in all weather's, sun , snow , rain you name it. And the mirror coating is still supposed to be in great condition. So if this is correct then maybe there is something in this magical hilux coating ??. Next time someone is around OO uk maybe they can find out if this is correct. And have a look at this all weather mirror and take a photo and post on SGL. I am sure it would be of interest to many SGL members and would also be great publicity for OOuk to the effectiveness of the hilux coatings. So if anyone is around OOuk then do please take a picture of this all weather mirror :-)

I do hope someone will do exactly that as that will then prove that if the coatings are so 'all weather' and durable as claimed then obviously they were not applied correctly to Calvin or Simon's mirrors in the first place ;) 

Perhaps like the 24" research grade mirror before it, the "all weather" mirror will mysteriously break :eek:  before we ever know........?? :evil62:

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, had read that one before.

Be interesting to see what Mike's mirror independently tests at.

do you mean me stu ?

bit of a scary read that steve, have heard of it before though, but never seen the article

18 minutes ago, estwing said:

wouldn't bother mike....if you are happy with it that's what matters...never had a test/report on my mirror, who am I to question the skill of John Nichol.

I don't think anyone was questioning John Nichol? It's just interesting to see test reports which don't tie up with reality. If Mike's mirror is fine then no problem.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

I don't think anyone was questioning John Nichol? It's just interesting to see test reports which don't tie up with reality. If Mike's mirror is fine then no problem.

but how fine is it. it says 1/10 and yes stars are tight up to around 500x but it would be nice to know. just like you would like to know what power your car or motorbike makes on a dyno :happy11:

Archived