SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A small unregarded yellow sun - in H alpha

acr_astro

Hi all,

as written in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, we're moving around a small unregarded yellow sun. In fact today at first glance there was really nothing extraordinary visible on our home star: It was fully blank in white light and even in H alpha there was no spectacular eye-catcher. Nevertheless I did a pastel sketch - I had prepared the solar disc already before anyway . cool.gif

So here we go:

20170316_Sun_H_alpha_small.thumb.jpg.4894813398c420bcdeb641b5b252a3fe.jpg

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
Date & Time: March 16th, 2017 / 1100-1145 CET
Technique: reddish pastels and pastel pens on black sketching paper
Diameter: 8"

Clear skies!

Achim

Hi Moonshane,

luckily there is a so broad variety of techniques and materials available. Every sketcher can do his/her way for best results. I'm not that good with pencil.

You're right, the pastels are really tricky -I'm just using then in daylight. Wouldn't manage in darkness either. The chalk and charcoal which I'm using for my lunar sketches are a bit easier to use - and not that fragile! That I can do with just a small lamp under moonlight. 

Clear skies

Achim

The best I can say is, this is as close to a telescopic/camera capture of our star I have ever seen.                                       
I'm more than Impressed, I'm flabbergasted by the very realistic look of your sketch. 

Hello,

you too many thanks for your wonderful feedback! :)

@barkis:

Ah, that's another reason why I like posting and reading here: "flabbergasted" - what a wonderful word! Had to look it up - English can be such a nice, poetic language.

Clear skies

Achim :)

Archived