SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Whats your dream telescope

Gary170782

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Most certainly John! You should be careful what you wish for though, as I really would do it, and how would you explain it away when a 12" Tak turns up on your doorstep, including mount and observatory? "Honestly love, a nice chap on SGL bought it for me!" "Ouch!" Really, Ouch!" "I'm telling the truth this time!" Ouch!".... SLAM! :eek:

I'll just have to wait a while for my better half to win big on the lottery and I'll order us both one.  It shouldnt take her long once she sets her mind to it! Would you like a carrying handle on your's?

Mike 

FET-300banner.jpg

The handle would be nice. Plus a fake price tag with a couple of zeros left off the price !

Actually though, this is a dream so I'm sure my other half would welcome the new arrival and let me build a large observatory over her greenhouse and veg plots to house it. :smiley:

Dream on, John :rolleyes2:

Think I would happily settle for a WO FLT 132, the 152 sounds nice but that is then getting a bit too big for ease of use. So I would settle for the 132 with no complaints, disappointments or desire for bigger.

One of these perhaps?

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGTEC180

Put it on a DDM85 Std with an ADM Ricardi flattener and a 16200 camera and I'd be a happy bunnie. Will have to wait for retirement and a move to a darker location. Oh, and an obsy.

8 minutes ago, Gary170782 said:

A few people have put this one. Are these the rolls Royce of scopes? 

Takahashi make some of the best scopes around and a 12" triplet apochromat utilising Flourite in the lens design is a pretty special scope :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Gary170782 said:

A few people have put this one. Are these the rolls Royce of scopes? 

Super high performance, super high cost, and super exclusive - maybe a McLaren F1 of scopes?!

Costs start to rise sharply though. from http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/472066-huge-apo-or-great-reflector/

"The Takahashi FCT/EM-3500 APO refractor has an aperture of 200 mm which is about 8 inches and the OTA and mount have a list price of $227,000. Takahashi also makes a 250 mm, about 10 inches, APO but you have to call them for the price. "

The above for an 8". Goodness knows what a 12" would be. $1M?

It might be a better idea to spend big on getting somewhere under dark skies that you can visit easily and often and spend less on a still decent scope. If the 12" apo Tak appeared by magic in my backyard it would still have to cope with the trees, neighbours lights, etc ,etc. I probably would not see any more than I can with my 12" dob which cost many hundreds of times less £'s. Plus I'd have a divorce to pay for ......

Rather boring for a dream scenario though ..... rather like Rimmer in "Better than Life" :rolleyes2:

19 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Costs start to rise sharply though. from http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/472066-huge-apo-or-great-reflector/

"The Takahashi FCT/EM-3500 APO refractor has an aperture of 200 mm which is about 8 inches and the OTA and mount have a list price of $227,000. Takahashi also makes a 250 mm, about 10 inches, APO but you have to call them for the price. "

The above for an 8". Goodness knows what a 12" would be. $1M?

For that kind of money a lesser scope in dark site would be a better option IMHO

This was my dream scope but not sure how many made it into production  http://www.npzoptics.com/catalog/teleskopes/tal-200a1/ 

I would have liked to be able to have this in a dome on a decent mount, but i guess i will have to just settle for what i have the 120 also i have to wonder if some one got a BIG TAK flourite would the large aperture let its self down in nights of average seeing :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived