SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Whats your dream telescope

Gary170782

Just for fun while I'm killing a spare hour or so in work I'm wondering what everyone's dream scope would be, money no object (hubble etc not inc) ?. If you could put a link in so I can have a noisy at them also then that would be great.?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dream telescope would be a Big Dob with a 20" aperture and 1/10 mirror?

Therefore it would have to be the "Orion Optics UK VX 20"  just great light gathering ability and superb 1/10 mirror. Also can be portable as truss design.

Have a look on the Orion Optics web site , just lovely☺

1 minute ago, Gary170782 said:

I posted this in the wrong section. Anyone know how I can move it? ?

I already moved it to the AstroLounge Gary :). The wanted section is just for wanted adverts.

56 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

One of them scopes that can see through all this cloud.....:icon_biggrin:i think i have mine,i have always wanted a 12" sct,but i know there are some exceptional scopes out there that i cant even dream about.

post-2265-0-56851800-1449420647.jpg

Stunning . If you find a nice way of seeing the sky with all these clouds then you could probably buy a hubble ?

sir-william-herschels-telescope.jpg

One of the surviving telescopes made by Sir William Herschel would be fine for me.

I think this particular example was used by Caroline Herschel in Germany after her brother's death, and may (I'm not sure) have been the telescope which William used to identify Uranus in 1781 - but several other examples have been preserved.

William Herschel made some of the best telescopes of his day, which by all accounts could see more detail than others made by his contemporaries. This in turn meant he had to make telescopes for other astronomers so they could collaborate his findings - a somewhat more generous attitude than Galileo who saw other astronomers as rivals and tried to keep his telescopes out of their hands!

13 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

That's easy to answer:

A 12" (300mm Takahashi Fluorite Triplet!)

Of course I'd want a large Ash dome to house my Super Superlative Apo in, nicely situated in the grounds of my large country house.

Mike :blob3:

FET300-EM3700_400.jpg

Could you order 2 please Mike ? :smiley:

I think it's a hard question to answer really. Along the lines of Mike's suggestion above, if a large country house and observatory can be thrown in along with a circular height adjustable platform, then a 36" (or what the heck a 48" dob as fast as possible would be great. Obviously with a 20" finder scope for wide field.

As it happens without the above, I feel my ideal scope is already in my grasp - in a manner of speaking. I have a mix of scopes which serves all my needs, ranging from 102mm-400mm, although I would like to convert my 16" to a truss system.

2 hours ago, John said:

Could you order 2 please Mike ? :smiley:

Most certainly John! You should be careful what you wish for though, as I really would do it, and how would you explain it away when a 12" Tak turns up on your doorstep, including mount and observatory? "Honestly love, a nice chap on SGL bought it for me!" "Ouch!" Really, Ouch!" "I'm telling the truth this time!" Ouch!".... SLAM! :eek:

I'll just have to wait a while for my better half to win big on the lottery and I'll order us both one.  It shouldnt take her long once she sets her mind to it! Would you like a carrying handle on your's?

Mike 

FET-300banner.jpg

Archived