Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A ton of Galloway Galaxies

mapstar

It was Sunday evening of the Galloway star party and waving a fond farewell to many a few of us were left behind for what would be a truly interesting night ahead.

The big dob had been out in the open since the Tuesday when I had arrived so you could say the optics were cooled. I set my stall out with the star chart part stuffed in the tent and the little fan heater running on low to keep the dew at bay. The scope was checked over with a quick tweak here and there but was ready. Here it is at dusk looking all stealthy

SDC16005.JPG

After a well cooked Sunday evening meal (compliments of Mike a.k.a Demon Barber) we all hit the scope's some imaging some visual at half 7. The skies started to take on their impressive darkness although the moon wasn't slated to set at around 10pm. 

My target most of the week was galaxy hunting in and around Pisces.

I started at the south eastern side of the constellation with the Galaxy NGC7603 all on it's own,  dropping down I quickly made my way to  NGC7506 before venturing into Aquarius. 

Picking up the double of galaxies 7585, 7576 in the 13E I continued my drop through NGC7600 just off chi Aquarii and 7606  off phi 1,2,3 which gave nice views. I came across a triplet  NGC7450 (face on), 7444 and 7443 (edge on).From here on I skipped across the constellation to Omega Aquarii, where another triplet awaited NGC 7723, 7724 (note very faint), 7727.  Heading back to Pisces NGC7832 was easily acquired amongst the sea of stars.

A break to show a visitor the Veil and NGC891 was welcome to rest the eye a little and both looked spectacular. Over the course of the week quite a few shooting stars fell and tonight was no exception with a huge Ion trail between Alkaid and Mizar.

Back to it and I found Iota Cetus (Deneb Kaitos Shemali) in the finder and began to work from there. Here's the list I racked up 

NGC 50, 155, Pair (165, 163), 153-151, 157 (bright), 217 (lovely edge on) and 255.

There was something else in the field of View at this point and NGC246 was easy to see otherwise known as the skull nebula. This is one of the largest planetary Nebula I have seen and I spent quite a while teasing out detail. I tried the UHC and O111 The inner stars and ghostly outer bright bit's of the shell were easy to see. Must revisit when I get chance here's a good photo of how it looked in the scope.

Skullneb.jpg

Onwards and still in Cetus for a list of galaxies NGC 309 (quite large), 270, 277, 298, 273, 274, 275, 268 until a nice triplet popped into view the first two galaxies really bright NGC327, 329 and the third which wasn't on my star chart NGC325 was an edge on very slim galaxy just made out between two stars.

Midnight had arrived and the Moon had long since set. I was determined to make the best of the skies whilst I could. The temperature was showing -1 C I carried on in Cetus with NGC325, 357, 349, 345, 356, 337, 448. All galaxies and I was enjoying the star hopping

Derek (Physopto) appeared out of the blackness of the campsite and we tested his never used ES100 9/14 and 20mm eyepieces in the scope. again NGC891, M31 and M33 to test the 20mm. Comparable views to the Ethos with a slight softening around the edge which to be brutally honest wouldn't bother me. I didn't test them on faint galaxies though so this could've revealed something else about them. Hey ho maybe next time but nice all the same. Derek disappeared for a night cap about 1am which I passed on for the moment intending another hour at the eyepiece.

Pointing the scope towards Triangulum I started off at Gamma and worked east to NGC 890 and 925 which was far larger and better to look at than it's close neighbour.

Here's the full list 

Triangulum NGC 968, 959, U2105, 1002, 1050 (Perseus), 974, 969, 973 (edge on) 987, Triplet 1060, 1061 and 1057 (not on star chart), 940, 931, 953, 972 (Aries), 865, 855, Triplet 805, 807, 784, 684, 670, 672, I1727.

I halted my galaxy hopping to have a quick look at CR21 open cluster. Quite a contrast of star colours.

Moving inside Triangulum itself with NGC769, 778, 777, 783, 798, 789(averted vision) moving outside to the north NGC736, 750, 761. Try as I might I just couldn't see the next galaxy up NGC735? it was lost to me? I spent a good 10 minutes sweeping backward and forward to no avail so I just moved on. I will nail it next time.

Moving into ABELL262 galaxy cluster NGC688, 679, 669, 668, 759, 753, 732, U1385 were all easy to define. Into the centre and a lot going on. NGC 703, 708, 704 and 705 in the eyepiece all at once I seemed to pick averted views of quite a bit but the main galaxies were there. An area of sky well worth a revisit.

Moving along to the east in Andromeda another pack of galaxies was there for the viewing. NGC 841, 845, 834, 828 and 818 finished off my time scanning Andromeda for the evening. 

It was now about 4am and I decided to have while 5am and pack the scope up. I skirted the perseus cluster as I had viewed this from another location and worked up and west of ABELL426 starting with NGC1198 I continued to pick my way up and through them. A very packed part of the sky. NGC1284, 1175, 1174, 1171, 1164, 1123, Double 1130 and 1129, 1106, 1086, 1053, 989, 996, 995, 1003.

I ended my night at M34 open cluster after well over 100 galaxies in one night.  The time was half 5 and I took the eyepiece out of the scope and packed everything away. My star hopping thirst well and truly quenched. Nearly taken as long to write down as view them.

Looking forward to my next trip up but the G.S.P. has yet again delivered on the last night.

Damian

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mapstar said:

It was Sunday evening of the Galloway star party and waving a fond farewell to many a few of us were left behind for what would be a truly interesting night ahead.

The big dob had been out in the open since the Tuesday when I had arrived so you could say the optics were cooled. I set my stall out with the star chart part stuffed in the tent and the little fan heater running on low to keep the dew at bay. The scope was checked over with a quick tweak here and there but was ready. Here it is at dusk looking all stealthy

SDC16005.JPG

After a well cooked Sunday evening meal (compliments of Mike a.k.a Demon Barber) we all hit the scope's some imaging some visual at half 7. The skies started to take on their impressive darkness although the moon wasn't slated to set at around 10pm. 

My target most of the week was galaxy hunting in and around Pisces.

I started at the south eastern side of the constellation with the Galaxy NGC7603 all on it's own,  dropping down I quickly made my way to  NGC7506 before venturing into Aquarius. 

Picking up the double of galaxies 7585, 7576 in the 13E I continued my drop through NGC7600 just off chi Aquarii and 7606  off phi 1,2,3 which gave nice views. I came across a triplet  NGC7450 (face on), 7444 and 7443 (edge on).From here on I skipped across the constellation to Omega Aquarii, where another triplet awaited NGC 7723, 7724 (note very faint), 7727.  Heading back to Pisces NGC7832 was easily acquired amongst the sea of stars.

A break to show a visitor the Veil and NGC891 was welcome to rest the eye a little and both looked spectacular. Over the course of the week quite a few shooting stars fell and tonight was no exception with a huge Ion trail between Alkaid and Mizar.

Back to it and I found Iota Cetus (Deneb Kaitos Shemali) in the finder and began to work from there. Here's the list I racked up 

NGC 50, 155, Pair (165, 163), 153-151, 157 (bright), 217 (lovely edge on) and 255.

There was something else in the field of View at this point and NGC246 was easy to see otherwise known as the skull nebula. This is one of the largest planetary Nebula I have seen and I spent quite a while teasing out detail. I tried the UHC and O111 The inner stars and ghostly outer bright bit's of the shell were easy to see. Must revisit when I get chance here's a good photo of how it looked in the scope.

Skullneb.jpg

Onwards and still in Cetus for a list of galaxies NGC 309 (quite large), 270, 277, 298, 273, 274, 275, 268 until a nice triplet popped into view the first two galaxies really bright NGC327, 329 and the third which wasn't on my star chart NGC325 was an edge on very slim galaxy just made out between two stars.

Midnight had arrived and the Moon had long since set. I was determined to make the best of the skies whilst I could. The temperature was showing -1 C I carried on in Cetus with NGC325, 357, 349, 345, 356, 337, 448. All galaxies and I was enjoying the star hopping

Derek (Physopto) appeared out of the blackness of the campsite and we tested his never used ES100 9/14 and 20mm eyepieces in the scope. again NGC891, M31 and M33 to test the 20mm. Comparable views to the Ethos with a slight softening around the edge which to be brutally honest wouldn't bother me. I didn't test them on faint galaxies though so this could've revealed something else about them. Hey ho maybe next time but nice all the same. Derek disappeared for a night cap about 1am which I passed on for the moment intending another hour at the eyepiece.

Pointing the scope towards Triangulum I started off at Gamma and worked east to NGC 890 and 925 which was far larger and better to look at than it's close neighbour.

Here's the full list 

Triangulum NGC 968, 959, U2105, 1002, 1050 (Perseus), 974, 969, 973 (edge on) 987, Triplet 1060, 1061 and 1057 (not on star chart), 940, 931, 953, 972 (Aries), 865, 855, Triplet 805, 807, 784, 684, 670, 672, I1727.

I halted my galaxy hopping to have a quick look at CR21 open cluster. Quite a contrast of star colours.

Moving inside Triangulum itself with NGC769, 778, 777, 783, 798, 789(averted vision) moving outside to the north NGC736, 750, 761. Try as I might I just couldn't see the next galaxy up NGC735? it was lost to me? I spent a good 10 minutes sweeping backward and forward to no avail so I just moved on. I will nail it next time.

Moving into ABELL262 galaxy cluster NGC688, 679, 669, 668, 759, 753, 732, U1385 were all easy to define. Into the centre and a lot going on. NGC 703, 708, 704 and 705 in the eyepiece all at once I seemed to pick averted views of quite a bit but the main galaxies were there. An area of sky well worth a revisit.

Moving along to the east in Andromeda another pack of galaxies was there for the viewing. NGC 841, 845, 834, 828 and 818 finished off my time scanning Andromeda for the evening. 

It was now about 4am and I decided to have while 5am and pack the scope up. I skirted the perseus cluster as I had viewed this from another location and worked up and west of ABELL426 starting with NGC1198 I continued to pick my way up and through them. A very packed part of the sky. NGC1284, 1175, 1174, 1171, 1164, 1123, Double 1130 and 1129, 1106, 1086, 1053, 989, 996, 995, 1003.

I ended my night at M34 open cluster after well over 100 galaxies in one night.  The time was half 5 and I took the eyepiece out of the scope and packed everything away. My star hopping thirst well and truly quenched. Nearly taken as long to write down as view them.

Looking forward to my next trip up but the G.S.P. has yet again delivered on the last night.

Damian

The South Shields Astronomical Gazzette can reliably report that, there  was a very close competition between Damian and Ian for "Pie Muncher of the GSP".

Ian just got the edge at the last minute and took the title, but a very close battle.

Official results are:

Ian a total of 4 pies and peas, whilst  Damian just was edged out at 3 pies and peas with a vegetable chilli to follow.

After all the excitement, later   that night there was plenty of viewing and imaging to be done so imbibing was well curtailed.

Some of the star camp attendees unfortunately thought that there were no pies left or that they were too late and did not turn up for a meal. This was unfortunate as even with the auspicious and ravenous attention of our pie munchers, there were in fact plenty left to go around. The evenings munching continued well past 20,00 hours.

"Please note for next year".

We have also been reliably informed that Damian intends a small modification for next year so that the peas can be checked and issued with a size/roundness certificate to prevent substandard or deformed legumes. Even so the taste will still have to be assessed  by a committee taste test.  ?

In in all a great Star Party, it was very well attended and we met new and old attendees. There were several good night of viewing and the wind did not intrude too much. 

In finishing,  I must pass on my thanks to Damian for letting me use my newly acquired eyepieces on his "Dual purpose Pie Measuring Dobsonian Device". He was gracious as ever managing to show an "imager" actual views that I could see. I am not practiced at star hopping and my vision is not the best. 

Derek

28 minutes ago, Physopto said:

The South Shields Astronomical Gazzette can reliably report that, there  was a very close competition between Damian and Ian for "Pie Muncher of the GSP".

Ian just got the edge at the last minute and took the title, but a very close battle.

Official results are:

Ian a total of 4 pies and peas, whilst  Damian just was edged out at 3 pies and peas with a vegetable chilli to follow.

After all the excitement, later   that night there was plenty of viewing and imaging to be done so imbibing was well curtailed.

Some of the star camp attendees unfortunately thought that there were no pies left or that they were too late and did not turn up for a meal. This was unfortunate as even with the auspicious and ravenous attention of our pie munchers, there were in fact plenty left to go around. The evenings munching continued well past 20,00 hours.

"Please note for next year".

We have also been reliably informed that Damian intends a small modification for next year so that the peas can be checked and issued with a size/roundness certificate to prevent substandard or deformed legumes. Even so the taste will still have to be assessed  by a committee taste test.  ?

In in all a great Star Party, it was very well attended and we met new and old attendees. There were several good night of viewing and the wind did not intrude too much. 

In finishing,  I must pass on my thanks to Damian for letting me use my newly acquired eyepieces on his "Dual purpose Pie Measuring Dobsonian Device". He was gracious as ever managing to show an "imager" actual views that I could see. I am not practiced at star hopping and my vision is not the best. 

Derek

Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Anyway, I have never heard of this so called rag ?

That's is an incredible report. Think you viewed more in one night than I have managed in two years!

Going to have to read it again to take it all in properly. Sounds like you had a brilliant time.

On a different note, I'm not going to let it go that you've been doing AP..... and lunar imaging at that! Tut! I'm very disappointed with you ;)

Thanks for reading it all guys and sorry it's a bit list like at times. 

The skies were good that night although not the very best I've viewed under up there. Always wanted to do a proper star hopping session with the 22" and finally got one.

I'm looking forward to my trip up there next february to meet up with everyone and hopefully get some more of those skies. 

Damian 

Great report Damian, glad you are getting the scope under some lovely skies.

I must say the finished article looks cracking in black, as you say, very stealth-like! Don't trip over it in the dark! ;) 

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great report Damian, glad you are getting the scope under some lovely skies.

I must say the finished article looks cracking in black, as you say, very stealth-like! Don't trip over it in the dark! ;) 

The dark skies up there are made for the scope (or is it the other way round). 

When skies like this are available it's difficult to take the scope to mediocre skies as it just doesn't get the best out of it.

Off to Skye at the end of the month so fingers crossed for some good weather 

1 minute ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Damian what a fantastic read. That is what observing is all about. A truly excellent large Dob. Thanks so much for posting - a great start to Friday morning.

Cheers Mark

Galloway star party is a fantastic site and having the large dob out under those skies is what it's all about. Hope February up there is as good as it was this year. 

8 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Anyway, I have never heard of this so called rag ?

We heard about the legendary pie eater from Damian at SWSP...the mob know the score!

2 hours ago, estwing said:

We heard about the legendary pie eater from Damian at SWSP...the mob know the score!

To quote Derek-

"Ian a total of 4 pies and peas, whilst  Damian just was edged out at 3 pies and peas with a vegetable chilli to follow."

So it is not like Damian was beaten into 2nd place by any quantity, he made up for it will chilli, albeit vegetable chilli

Sorry Damian, I will refrain from detracting from your mighty galaxy fest 

46 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Best report I have read in months. I went through your lists and compared it to my own. Lots of overlap but you are clearly going a lot deeper than I can manage here with my 16 inch.

I would have loved have been there!

Mark

Many thanks Mark,  high praise from a dedicated fellow such as yourself with so many galaxies under your belt. 

The night was a good one up there but not the best I've had for transparency of the skies.

Damian

Archived