SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A ton of Galloway Galaxies

mapstar

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome haul and a great read.  I've never made it to a truly dark star party, but this has been a very good advert!  I can't get enough of those naughty "dobs in a field" pics as well!!

Thanks for taking the time to post and glad you had a good time.

Paul

48 minutes ago, rockystar said:

So much for "giving it another hour" ;)

fantastic haul there Damian.

Ha ha yeah Lee it's amazing how you lose track of time when the star hopping is good.

Really enjoyed the night and it took over an hour to write it up.  

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

Awesome haul and a great read.  I've never made it to a truly dark star party, but this has been a very good advert!  I can't get enough of those naughty "dobs in a field" pics as well!!

Thanks for taking the time to post and glad you had a good time.

Paul

Thats why I dont attend SGL, as the skies (as I'm told) are quite light polluted and not a patch on galloway or kielder.

It all depends on where you live as it is a long trip for some (800+miles round trip) but worth the effort. My next round trip to Skye will be 1k miles and be a day travelling. Thats gonna be some report though if the skies are kind :grin: 

43 minutes ago, Glasspusher said:

Great report Damian, sounds like the telescope is performing as it should!

John

As a complete beginner in actual viewing terms,  it was great. I reckon if the DOB had a tent fitted you would never get Damian out of it !

Derek

7 hours ago, Physopto said:

As a complete beginner in actual viewing terms,  it was great. I reckon if the DOB had a tent fitted you would never get Damian out of it !

Derek

It gets a tent fitted every morning, well when it's been a clear night :grin:

3 hours ago, Mark62 said:

Excellent report Damian. Sound like you had a really good time and busy night. I don't think I will ever put together a list like that 

Cheers Mark. Be good to catch up seems like an age since I've seen anyone local nevermind viewed with them 

what a fantastic report damian, wow you hoovered up some galaxys that night, your dob looks great as well mate. cant believe you lost out to ian on the pies but at least you washed it down with a chilli :icon_biggrin:.

2 weeks today we will all be together at skye, thats going to be some reporting, cant wait for the ring sure we will get the centre star there :icon_biggrin:

nice one mate

Hi Mike,

Great to hear that you got safely home and found your laptop to write a nice thank you to Lesley.

Incidentally, the 4th long distance traveller was Dai from South Glamorgan. I sit here in glorious sunshine this morning watching India v England playing Test Match cricket, I calculated that the four of us have travelled just over 3000 miles to feast on the outstanding dark skies and the comradeship that is prevalent at Dumroamin.

I had the privilege of sitting next to Ian as he made the pies and peas disappear like they were entering a black hole at the speed of light!

I trust that Lesley and Ralph will enjoy their well earned holiday in the North of Scotland when they get round to it.

Once exposed to the Galloway dark skies it is incredibly difficult to stay away......... that's why I will be back......

Cheers

Adrian

5 hours ago, Pig said:

Great report Damien, that sure is a lot of targets to hit in one session and very well done :happy7: I started to count them but I kept going wrong around the 50 mark and gave up in the end :happy8:

Cheers Shaun. I think about 111 galaxies in all? may have missed one but was a pleasure to be out for a full session under clear skies for once.

Sounds like it was a truly awesome night under clear dark skies!  Nice report and 111 galaxies is not bad at all really... ;)  Obviously the pies and peas worked to keep you going until the end!

...I see that my 12" dob is going to have its work cut out to compete with that.... :p

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 13:21, Davesellars said:

Sounds like it was a truly awesome night under clear dark skies!  Nice report and 111 galaxies is not bad at all really... ;)  Obviously the pies and peas worked to keep you going until the end!

...I see that my 12" dob is going to have its work cut out to compete with that.... :p

It was a good night, crystal clear would've made it really spectacular but it was memorable. 

I'm back in galloway next february for the 'spring' camp so hoping to get some more. 

Archived