Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus on 31-10-16

Barv

It's been a little while since I posted anything so good evening to you all.

I captured these on the night of the 31st October. Conditions were somewhat hazy and the obsy was dripping wet when I closed it up. The images were captured with the C14 Edge Hd, (highly modified), ZWO120MMS mono cam using a 610nm long pass filter. Being so dim I could only manage 10FPS and I captured for 25 minutes. This false  coloured image with the moons is technically a mosaic as the moons were captured with a seperate longer exposure. It's interesting to note that the moon Miranda is not there, although it is of the 16th magnitude! The other moons are Umbriel-lower left, Titania-lower right-(outside), Ariel-closest to planet, and Oberon furthest away at the top.

Hope you enjoy it

Regards

Harvey 

En2-Uranus-31-10-2016 at 22.37.03.png

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Amazing detail. Is the detail 'real' or artifact? Sorry if this is an offensive question!

The detail is definately real. The mono unsharpened image shows the detail. It was also imaged by a good friend of mine recently with the same results.Uranus-22.37.03-100per.png

12 hours ago, Barv said:

It's been a little while since I posted anything so good evening to you all.

I captured these on the night of the 31st October. Conditions were somewhat hazy and the obsy was dripping wet when I closed it up. The images were captured with the C14 Edge Hd, (highly modified), ZWO120MMS mono cam using a 610nm long pass filter. Being so dim I could only manage 10FPS and I captured for 25 minutes. This false  coloured image with the moons is technically a mosaic as the moons were captured with a seperate longer exposure. It's interesting to note that the moon Miranda is not there, although it is of the 16th magnitude! The other moons are Umbriel-lower left, Titania-lower right-(outside), Ariel-closest to planet, and Oberon furthest away at the top.

Hope you enjoy it

Regards

Harvey 

En2-Uranus-31-10-2016 at 22.37.03.png

2016-10-31-2237.0-Uranus-NR.png

Hi Harvey good capture. Good to see you trying this difficult Planet. And yes the detail is real.  The mottling appearance though in the image, is just the banding that has come out slightly ill defined I think. The shapes maybe distorted somewhat. I have had this appearance in less than good seeing myself. But the banding itself is real for sure.

If you try more, and get good seeing you will likely see the shape of the detail completely change. Often without the mottled appearance

8 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Harvey that is an incredible photo of Uranus. Clearly the 14" Edge is an excellent performer - well done.

Thank you Chris for your kind comments. I wouldn't recommend a C14 edge to image the planets, so I would urge you not to go out and buy one. I have been over 2 years modifying mine to a point where I am now happy with it. They are impossible to manage thermally here in the UK and I eventually had to drill a 68mm whole in the side of mine which was very painful!

Thanks once again

Kind regards

Harvey

12 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

A fabulous image, amazing to see any details. 

Drilling a 68mm hole in the side of your C14 :o  wow now that is bravery!

Hi Pete and thanks for your comments. I've known for some time that I needed to do it to assist with cooling so I finally took the plunge about a month ago. I now no longer need to remove my secondary any more to install the extra fan. An engineering friend of mine made a nice job of it though!

IMG_0122.JPG

On 10/11/2016 at 09:43, Mark at Beaufort said:

Harvey that is an incredible photo of Uranus. Clearly the 14" Edge is an excellent performer - well done.

Sorry for calling you Chris Mark!

regards

Harvey

6 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Harvey,

Only just seen this post. Wow, that is a stunning image of Uranus. What focal length were you working at?

Hello Ian and thanks for the compliment. I was working at around F15, so about 5.3 metres. I couldn't go much more with the 610nm filter installed as brightness is an issue. I was at 100 percent gain. I hope this helps.

Regards

Harvey

8 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Harvery,

Yes, thank you for the information. I was just curious considering the image scale, did you crop the image? Sorry for the single questions.

It really is a startling image

Thanks once again Ian. The image has been enlarged somewhat in the processing to enhance the visability of the features. As I'm sure you're aware, Uranus is pretty tiny from here whatever instrument is used. I believe from memory that even the mono image displayed on here has been enlarged around 1.5X

Kind regards

Harvey

Archived