Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keeping warm

Hi newbies.

As summer (in the northern hemisphere) is coming to a close.  The nights are slowing getting longer and there will be opportunities to get outside and use that telescope, binos, camera, or your eye's (depending on what you have).

However, there's a bit of a downside in that it will also get colder.  At night time, under a crisp clear sky the temperature will plummet.  You will get cold.  As a person with Raynauld's phenomenon keeping warm is an essential part of the hobby for me.

This is a subject that doesn't get talked about too often, but it can be the difference between enjoying a night out under the stars, or being driven inside freezing and unhappy.

Here's some tips for staying warm over a long session, typically from say 8pm through to 3am.  If you can do that, you should be able to go longer ;)

1. Baggy clothing.

Wearing loose clothing will let the air circulate, this will heat up inside your cloths and help to keep you warm.

2. Lots of thin layers.

We're talking air again, the air gets trapped between each layer of clothing, the heat from your body radiates out to the first, then the second layer and so on.  The more layers you have the longer it will take for your body to loose heat.

3. Walking boots

These tend to have big thick soles.  The advantage of this is that they will insulate your feet from the cold ground for a while.  It will help to stop your feet getting cold.

4. Tog rated sock!

Yes, you can get them, here's an example on amazon.  Yep, 2.3 tog rated socks.  Nice thick and comfy.  Make sure your walking boots are not tight with them on and you'll stay warmer for longer.

5. Gloves

I've got a pair of astro gloves.  There's are like shooting gloves, in that the ends of the thumb, index and middle fingers are cut short.  This lets you do the fiddly stuff, but helps to keep the rest of your hands warm.

(for me this alone is not enough)

6. Second pair of gloves!

Yep, I've been known to put a second pair of gloves on over the astro gloves.  These are normally heavy dury winter gloves.

7. Hand warmers.

There are many kinds.   Let's go through these.

a. chemical use once warmers.

Open the pack and they'll get warm, these will work for about 10 hours.  Once used up, throw them away.  I find them great in a pinch if all else fails.

b. gell type warmers.

These are the reusable ones that have the little metal disc in, pop the disc and it sets off a chain reaction.  Everything gets warm for a couple of hours or so.

Personally, I don't like these as they are fiddly.

b. electric hand warmer.

These are not as powerful as the chemical ones but they're nice and convenient.  The ones that I have (one for each hand) also have a torch built in, and can charge a phone.  These are great when it's just a little chilly, but do struggle when it's freezing.

c. lighter fluid powered heaters.

Fill up the tank and they run for 24 hours.  They put out alot of heat.    I have one for each pocket, just shove my hands in and everything gets nice and warm even on the coldest of nights.

d. The burning stick kind.

These have sticks that you light up put in a tin and put into your pocket.

These put out the most heat of all.  The sticks burn down then go out.

8. Scarf

There are plenty of scarves about, pick one that keeps the wind out, and seals up the opening for your neck.  it doesn't have to be tight, just have to keep that precious heat inside.

There are variations on this theme, I myself use a buff just as long as it's snug it'll work fine.

9. Hat

You loose alot of heat through your heat, so make sure that you have a good hat.  One that covers your ears are best.

I personally use a thinsulate hat.

10. Long jons.

Put these on under your clothing, it's anohter layer of warm stuff.  Keeping those legs arm is something that shouldn't be skimped on.

People tend to forget about multiple layers on their legs, then get cold.   Your legs are a big part of your body with lots of blood, so keep 'em warm.

11. Thermals.

Ok whilst I'm at it, add a themal top as well.  might as well whilst you are there.

12. Hot drink.

Have a flask, or facilities for making a nice hot cup of tea, or other suitable beverage.   This will help to keep you warm throughout the night.

13. Go inside.

These one is more for photographers.

Once you have everything setup and running, leave the scope to it's job and get yourself inside to where it's nice and warm.

14. When you are done for the night.

Before stripping off and getting into bed. Give your body time to warm up once you come inside.  Don't rush, and you'll be much more comfy when you do clamber under that duvet.  Do it too quick and you'll get cold fast.  And if the missus is already there, she'll not appreciate an iceicle laying next to her. ;)

Got any more tips?    I'd love to hear your comments below.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All great information. Nothing really to add, except to say I think point 10 should be emphasised! I found out that keeping your legs warm goes a long way towards keeping your feet and toes warm too. Makes total sense in that if the blood cools as it heads to your feet, they will get colder much quicker. So, long johns and layers on the legs too!

AstroGloves are great

http://www.astrogloves.net

Point 14 very important for a happy and harmonious relationship too ;) 

At last count I had 4 down jackets, 3 are rated to -15c, picked up a number of good fleece thermal tops of different ratings. Like Baggy a couple pairs of snow boots - but will check out Decathlon anyway.

One fleece top is sort of thin and a yucky colour, one of the cheapest I bought and I think in a clearance of buy one get one free at Mountain Warehouse years ago, but they are one of the warmest fleece tops I have. One of those under a down jacket and I stay warm. 2 fleeces and a down jacket and usually too hot.

Even have a down "beanie", that sort of cooks your brain. Looks a bit odd.

Generally do not wear gloves, do keep a thin set around, the heat has to escape somehow and through the hands is at times the only escape from me. I have been too hot at times, many times, but better then too cold. You can do something about too hot.

A balaclava is good for covering your neck, head, and a lot of your face in one go. It can also stop you breathing on eyepieces by mistake. However, you will look extremely dodgy!

Cheap oversized boots with room for layers of socks is good for warm feet, boots don't need to be a good fit for walking.

Get a nice e big heavy scope, by the time you've set it up you will be cooking!

1 hour ago, cjdawson said:

..................  Got any more tips?    I'd love to hear your comments below.

I like simple old school technology, works every time for me.  :smile:

I put a " Hot Water Bottle " inside the big pocket in front on a hooded sweatshirt I wear under my fleece or jacket. It keeps me warm and toasty for hours.

PICT0010 (Medium).JPG

All very sensible. I apply the "many layers" approach everywhere, including hands: on the coldest nights I wear two layers of glove liners (one silk, one wool) with leather gloves on top. In the most extreme cases I also wear disposable latex gloves under all of those. I can tie my laces in them, or more usefully unscrew a filter on an eyepiece, and my hands stay nice and warm. I've found this much better than all the fancy expensive thermal gloves I've tried over the years, which are never as warm or as conducive to dexterity.

For feet I still wear the Eiger Sirius boots I recommended in a thread on warm footwear a few years ago.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/120646-warm-boots-recommendations/

Some good ones above - layers, decent gloves and footwear and a balaclava are essential for me.

Consider a decent windbreaker - the wind significantly increases cool down rates so a simple beach type windbreak helps a lot I have found. 

Also do move regularly - sitting still with eye fixed to an EP isn't helpful if you want to stay warmer for longer. 

If your feet get cold, you'll feel cold all over. That's why I generally wear two pairs of socks. Shoes/boots with insulation will also help.

Last winter, I also used a thick piece of construction styrofoam to stand on. This also kept my feet above the snow cover. Feet burried in snow get cold easier, oddly enough.

Good list. I agree with the many layers tip. Thermal undies are a must.  I have a ski hat which is effectively a balaclava. Works a treat when really cold and you can breath inside it which stops water vapour from the breath freezing on the scope eyepieces etc.  I also recommend getting togged up before you get cold.  It's tempting to get out there in the early evening and only come inside for more clothing once it gets too cold. Switch on the bed's electric blanket before you go out. It's nice and toasty to get into in the small hours. 

15. Grow a beard, to keep lower jaw warm.

16. dont stay out so long that you get frost in your beard ( Dont ask,, I was learning to collimate :) honest)

[Sorry ladies ]

Edit : PS   "10. Long jons. Put these on under your clothing,"

10a. S'ok on the outside as well , it is dark after all !

wool. merino. end of, for me.

wool is a bit pricey, but is sort of a thermal nagler. great for skiing, hiking and whatnot. does not get smelly for days, dries in seconds and, unlike synthetic fabrics, does not get cold once you get overheat.

plenty of good advice in this topic.

On a cold night, I look like a little old lady on a cold British beach:

Ewok hat with ear protection pulled down tight.

Wool picnic blanket across the knees to the ground

Comfy cusion on the chair

Feet on a couple of cardboard boxes

Hip flask brimmed with nice single malt (sadly mine has sprung a leak ??? Honest..)

The blanket is great because it can be easily moved and you can thrust cold hands under to warm up.

Paul

PS. Marino Long Johns are well worth the outlay.

Personally I don't go for the layers approach for static activities. 'Layering' is intended for outdoor sports like mountaineering where you might be in a very cold environment but working hard and generating sweat which must be wicked away or it will leave you damp and clammy inside your outer shell. If I'm just outside in the extreme cold (we regularly get into the minus teens here in winter) I prefer a thin wicking-insulating layer next to the skin and then a very  high quality down jacket and trousers or, if you can run to it, a Himalayan-rated one piece down mountaineering suit. The idea is to trap large volumes of air and keep it still around your body. I find that cramming in layers not only excludes air but restricts your circulation, exactly the opposite of what's needed since good open circulation is vital to keeping warm. If going for very thick socks your boots absolutely must be large enough for the socks not to exclude air and restrict circulation. Buy a size too big.

I find that the soles of the cold weather boots are really the only bit that matters. For this reason the old Moon Boots are good but not all have a really well insulated sole. If you buy them big enough (mine are Cat Protection League and a quid's worth!) you can cut an inner sole from camping mat and that really does the trick. A camping mat to stand on is also a smart idea.

Thank God it's too dark for people to see what we look like...

Olly

I have found that some good quality welly boots keep things very comfortable at the extremities. I have a pair of MuckMasters and the insulation and padding mean my double socked feet remain both warm and comfortable. If your feet and head stay warm, the rest has a fighting chance too.

14 hours ago, wimvb said:

If your feet get cold, you'll feel cold all over. That's why I generally wear two pairs of socks. Shoes/boots with insulation will also help.

Last winter, I also used a thick piece of construction styrofoam to stand on. This also kept my feet above the snow cover. Feet burried in snow get cold easier, oddly enough.

Knew I forgot one.  For this season, I'm going to pick up a piece of carpet.  To stand on.

The idea of that one is to add a layer of insulation beneath your feet.

There's some really great tips here.  keep 'em coming.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

i pity a poor soul who just comes face to face with a yeti , a yeti also who happens to have one cyclopic red eye.

1 hour ago, BGazing said:

i pity a poor soul who just comes face to face with a yeti , a yeti also who happens to have one cyclopic red eye.

Could be worse - my wife bought me a neoprene face mask, as used by certain motorcyclists (and probably bank robbers), with a lurid skull design! Great idea and I can't fault the Missus for her thoughtful generosity, but sadly it doesn't really work - except to frighten the living nightlights out of anyone who might come across me...

wnfm002h-zanf_01.jpg

4 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Knew I forgot one.  For this season, I'm going to pick up a piece of carpet.  To stand on.

The idea of that one is to add a layer of insulation beneath your feet.

There's some really great tips here.  keep 'em coming.

Correct about the added layer. A carpet may become wet, in which case it becomes useless. Also, soft material will sink down in the snow too much (note, we generally have more snow than your guys/girls down south :happy9:)

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Personally I don't go for the layers approach for static activities. 'Layering' is intended for outdoor sports like mountaineering where you might be in a very cold environment but working hard and generating sweat which must be wicked away or it will leave you damp and clammy inside your outer shell. If I'm just outside in the extreme cold (we regularly get into the minus teens here in winter) I prefer a thin wicking-insulating layer next to the skin and then a very  high quality down jacket and trousers or, if you can run to it, a Himalayan-rated one piece down mountaineering suit. The idea is to trap large volumes of air and keep it still around your body. I find that cramming in layers not only excludes air but restricts your circulation, exactly the opposite of what's needed since good open circulation is vital to keeping warm. If going for very thick socks your boots absolutely must be large enough for the socks not to exclude air and restrict circulation. Buy a size too big.

I find that the soles of the cold weather boots are really the only bit that matters. For this reason the old Moon Boots are good but not all have a really well insulated sole. If you buy them big enough (mine are Cat Protection League and a quid's worth!) you can cut an inner sole from camping mat and that really does the trick. A camping mat to stand on is also a smart idea.

Olly

The mascot/logo of a tire company that also does restaurant rating, comes to mind.

4 hours ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Could be worse - my wife bought me a neoprene face mask, as used by certain motorcyclists (and probably bank robbers), with a lurid skull design! Great idea and I can't fault the Missus for her thoughtful generosity, but sadly it doesn't really work - except to frighten the living nightlights out of anyone who might come across me...

I disagree neoprene must be the best answer for all the cold issue. I have a 5-4 winter wetsuit. Give yourself 10 minutes in this and you will feel like your in the Bahamas’s.

The downside is that you will look plonker stood in the garden in a wetsuit in the middle of a winters night..oh and as mine has no zip down the back it takes an age to get off.

Thats it.... I have even convinced myself..look out neighbours (or don't)

wetsuit.jpg

Archived