• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, spillage said:

Ahhhh that just add to the warmth...

Not for long.

Where is this thread going?

Back to topic.

Last winter I started doing dithering, but my set up is very much stand alone. Manually slewing the mount 15 pixels at -15 C or colder is no fun when aiming for 40+ exposures. To keep warm, I had to pace up and down, close to the scope. That left some nice tracks in the 1 ft snow. So, added to the various suggestions for clothing, I would like to add: don't stand or sit still for too long.

My trouble is that my wife thinks I look a jerk in any headgear. I'd like to look vaguely heroic as I venture out into the cold but apparently I don't. Yet I'd rather look like a jerk in hat than come in early because I'm too cold.

57 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

The very first layer I put on is my pyjamas then I layer on top . This means that I am ready for bed when I come in so don't have to totally undress I'm already toasty warm. Which has nothing to do with having a large  malt before I retire.

how can i have only one large glenkinchie?:icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

A mate of mine (seriously I do mean a mate, not me) nicks a pair of his wife's tights to wear under his trousers, he swears they keep him warm. Never tried it myself as my wife is significantly smaller then me so I'd risk laddering them :icon_biggrin:

Can you find out what denier they are please.

1 hour ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Can you find out what denier they are please.

I never thought to ask, it wasn't a subject of conversation I wanted to dwell on, it's not really the same as asking about aperture or focal length, the mental picture that formed on the occasions he's mentioned it forced me to change subject :icon_biggrin:

Thermal long johns & fleece lined trousers; neck warmer and hat; thermal top, t-shirt, jumper, hoodie and coat. Just need to sort my feet out now, as that is was normally gets me first, so going to have a look for some moon boots this winter and use the left over camping mat from my dew shield.

If winter conditions really kicked in (and lets hope that they do);

Long sleeved thermal base layer

Long sleeved thermal mid layer

Mountaineering / ski type salopettes - which provide good wind block for legs and torso.

Thermal boxer shorts or long johns

Down filled smock (would be particularly nice with a hood) - through pocket great as hand warmers and for keeping items in such as eyepiece / torch / magnifying glass.

Fleece hat and additionally possibly balaclava

Gloves (I'm in the habit of taking them on and off though combine with using the pocket down filled hand warmer-retains dexterity).

Wool socks

Walking boots (as mentioned substantial and insulating soles are important and laces not too tight).

Perhaps a ground mat to stand on or rest feet whilst seated (though my observers chair also has a foot rest)

Hot flask of coffee and a warm space (particularly if there is wind chill) such as the car if out in the wilds

Spare fleece jacket

The main problem I found when I started out in freezing temperatures was my feet would be the first to freeze up.  I wear walking shoes during Spring to Autumn but in Winter when the temperatures really plummet I put on ski boots which have more room two layers of socks - One pair long fleece socks and a pair of woolen socks underneath.  Thermal long johns absolutely necessary with some thick material trousers.  Thermal base layer top (a winter running base layer works well) and then shirt and then a fleece and a down jacket.  Two hats one with floppy ears.

My sessions are reasonably long when time/weather allows so I always take a thermos with tea/hot chocolate and in the winter something to eat to keep the energy levels topped up

I'll have to look at those astro-gloves.  I've never found a decent solution yet as I'm constantly using the iPad for star-hopping as well so these may well suit me better - those e-gloves which are supposed to work with touch screens imho are rubbish and anything thick it starts to get messy when changing eyepieces / filters etc...

On 29 August 2016 at 21:45, Sirius Starwatcher said:

A single malt whiskey........ Then another...................Then another............Then .67€$|.|'thenlidmtopvkopdtmbmopfmgkm lidm Hic,

/\ /\ This has always been my strategy :happy7: Set up scope, sort out power requirements, seat, table, star chart- check! Ensure drinks cabinet is level and polar aligned and I'm ready to go. This technique ensures I can split even awkward doubles such as Jupiter and the moon :happy8:. Bottoms up :hiding:

On 26/08/2016 at 10:42, BGazing said:

i pity a poor soul who just comes face to face with a yeti , a yeti also who happens to have one cyclopic red eye.

I pity the poor yeti who stumbles across an astronomer in the dark!

My yeti outfit is a Dutch Navy parka, it's good enough for a Kazakh winter so it's good enough for a British one.

On 8/29/2016 at 21:45, Sirius Starwatcher said:

A single malt whiskey........ Then another...................Then another............Then .67€$|.|'thenlidmtopvkopdtmbmopfmgkm lidm Hic,

Alcohol is about the worst thing that you can do for keeping warm.  Whilst yes it has "a warming effect" when you drink it, the problem is that it actually cools your blood down.  There is another effect that it lowers the blood oxygen content, which in turn effects your eye's, meaning that when you need them working best, they'll be compromised.   By all means drink yourself silly once you've come in out of the cold for the night, but it's not a good idea to do it in the middle of a session, if you are either trying to keep warm, or pick out those tiny details.

Archived