SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

warm boots - recommendations?

GazK

Well it's that time of year again, when you start to think about staying warm in the wee small hours. My kit's generally pretty good - I got a bunch of cheap ski gear from Aldi last year, and a balaclava, huge furry hat and double layer gloves - but the one weak point is my feet. So I'd like to get a really good pair of boots this year - the sort of thing hunters and snomobile types use. Does anyone has any recommendations at around the £100 mark?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wear Danner Pronghorn with 200g insulation which are good to -5 but rather expensive for what they are. The warmest boots I ever used were Skeetex; for around £50 they looked after me in -10 on shooting trips up north. They are warm but clumsy if you intend to do much walking. For stargazing I don't think they could be beat.

Found a link. -50 degrees so it seems? http://www.manningstackle.com/skeetex-thermal-moon-boots-2205-p.asp

Yes those Pronghorns are a tad steep - great name though. How are those Skeeters for 300 yard walks - OK? The price is certainly right, they almost seem too cheap.

As for Ugg.... ugh

Noted re: the socks, they're going on the Christmas list too.

I've had the same problem, last year I got a pair of Moonboots from Field & Trek. I wasn't expecting much for £28, but my feet have never been so warm and that's just with everyday socks as the size is on the snug side. Really surprised how good they are.

I suggest a visit to your local discount fishing tackle shop to- they'll stock a surprising range of cold weather gear at this time of year. I bought some Icebehr thermal wellies for under a tenner. Ideal for a five hour fishing match in the snow.

They looked very simillar to these (like the Skeetex but 1/4 the price)

MDI Thermal Boots with Removeable Thermal Liner Sz 8-9 | eBay

As an aside I bought a load of cheap thermal / ski gear from TK Max in the spring sale one year- really good 'last season' stuff at rock bottom prices. Probably the wrong time of year to go looking now but wait until the spring clearout. Wouldn't be without my XXL thermal salopettes now-just jump in & out of them fully clothed!

These might also be good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexitogs-Freezer-Cold-Store-Storage-Salopettes-XXL-/190452071485?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item2c57d3fc3d

Keep warm!

Naff apres ski moon boots from the Cat Protection League etc for about a quid can be astonishingly good.

I went up market and bought a pair of these from my local shoe shop (I live in France.) However, Decathlon sell them.

Meindl : Solden - Snowleader - Solden

They are very good indeed. Default winter night temp here is nine below, exceptionally twenty below.

However, the thing is to buy cold weather boots a size too big and fill them with extra thick, but loose, socks. If you cram too much sock into small boots you exclude air and defeat the object.

Olly

What I've been using are Hi-tec leather walking boots and thermal socks, I find lambs wool are the best. Those moon boots do sound good though but what are they like to drive in?

I find my legs get cold rather than my feet.

Simon what I wear are lined combat trousers and thermal long johns to keep my legs warm; the outer skin of the combat trousers is a thin synthetic material with a thicker material used for the lining. They keep you warm by trapping the air between the two layers; mine are made by Nike but I think they have been discontinued.

Phil

What I've been using are Hi-tec leather walking boots and thermal socks, I find lambs wool are the best. Those moon boots do sound good though but what are they like to drive in?

Phil

Impossible!

Some moon boots have a plastic insole made of cube setions which trap air. These are the best but rare. In the other kind I cut some camping mat soles to put inside. This works well, though I love the Meindls now.

Since moon boots slip on you can easily drive in normal shoes and change. They are not good if they get too soggy.

For the legs it is hard to beat ski salopettes which come by the zillion here in car boot sales at three quid for near new.

Olly

I wear Eiger Sirius boots, "tested at -45C" (£35). I've certainly never had cold feet with them, even after hours of sub-zero observing. I don't drive in them - just change when I get to my observing site. They have a removeable thermal lining but I also add a layer or two of thermal sock - the rule is to make sure you can still wiggle your toes easily, anything too tight is counter-productive.

Eiger Sirius Boots | Buy Online at AtkinsAngling.com

Plus a full-body fleece for all-over cosiness (£25).

Element Polar Fleece Undersuit

The other thing I've found invaluable over the years for v.cold weather

are neoprene diving gloves. I still find I can do most tasks with these on

Titanium 3mm wetsuit gloves Stretchy neoprene - warm ! | eBay

You can get fishing versions with removable finger ends but I prefer the scuba ones.

Snowbee Lightweight Neoprene Fishing Gloves Size Choice | eBay

Archived