Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Keeping warm

4 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

Alcohol is about the worst thing that you can do for keeping warm.  Whilst yes it has "a warming effect" when you drink it, the problem is that it actually cools your blood down.  There is another effect that it lowers the blood oxygen content, which in turn effects your eye's, meaning that when you need them working best, they'll be compromised.   By all means drink yourself silly once you've come in out of the cold for the night, but it's not a good idea to do it in the middle of a session, if you are either trying to keep warm, or pick out those tiny details.

I agree. I wasn't sure whether people were just trying to be a bit funny by saying they were having a wee un while out. Alcohol causes your blood vessels to vasodilate i.e. fill with blood, close to the skin surface. This means your filled blood vessels will be closer to the cool / cold air and lose heat.

All others are very good tips. Personally I struggle with cold feet when out under the stars. It is best to insulate your feet from the ground, a thick or doubled up piece of cardboard to stand or rest you feet on makes a big difference.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/08/2016 at 21:01, BGazing said:

wool. merino. end of, for me.

I have Merino longjohns and long-sleeved vest. Problem is, I find it too warm most of the time in southern England - but great if the temperature gets below about -5*C.

7 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Alcohol is about the worst thing that you can do for keeping warm.  Whilst yes it has "a warming effect" when you drink it, the problem is that it actually cools your blood down.  There is another effect that it lowers the blood oxygen content, which in turn effects your eye's, meaning that when you need them working best, they'll be compromised.   By all means drink yourself silly once you've come in out of the cold for the night, but it's not a good idea to do it in the middle of a session, if you are either trying to keep warm, or pick out those tiny details.

Thank you for the health warning. If you look at the thread you will see that the idea was to have a wee dram on completion of my observing session. I will take on board your comments. I am unable to drink myself silly anymore because it would take me about 2 months to recover, so I stick to a wee dram.

14 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Thank you for the health warning. If you look at the thread you will see that the idea was to have a wee dram on completion of my observing session. I will take on board your comments. I am unable to drink myself silly anymore because it would take me about 2 months to recover, so I stick to a wee dram.

The comment that I quoted, didn't say mention anything about it being after an observing session.  It did imply that you were joking and I did find it funny.  However, someone else could have interpreted it differently, hence why I decided to pay it straight.

Micro fibre socks, neoprene socks and then my sundridge hot foot boots for the feet. Best thing I ever purchased.  Had them for yonks and still going strong 

walking base layers in mid season ratings.

mountain jacket. 

Microfibre gloves.  Nomex gloves if it gets really cold.   

Im a keen angler and hill walker, rock climber, so I learnt to keep warm many years ago with appropriate equipment.  Which if you layer up properly leaves you with full movement whilst keeping you toasty inside.  

Unless it's the height of summer, I always observe in a hoodie (amongst other layers depending on temp, of course).  The hoodie keeps the back of the neck and the head warm.  It is also useful for blocking stray light from hitting your eyes/the eyepiece, without having to faff with any kid of shroud.

My favourite trick for staying warm on cold nights though is two pairs of joggers.  Works so well!!  i've even had to take my jacket off in near zero conditions with two pairs of joggers on :)

Archived