SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

some up dates, finished modifying the cell today and setting the edge support supports. c.o.g. on the mirror should be 26.58 got it to 27mm close, also made a retaining structure with clips to hold the mirror in transit. fitted all mirror box clamps and bolted bearings on properly. just need to thread lock the cell up,paint the whiffle tree edge supports and fit, then complete the uta, which wont take long ,then on to wires . some pics now

first cell before

DSC_0078.jpg

after

DSC_0167_1.jpg

this is the air gap, the black thing on the wood is to make up the height, so that its the same thickness as the mirror 57mm, note the ptfe washers £19 for 4

DSC_0165.jpg

c.o.g. there is a name for it, but tired now, sure steve or damien will be along soon.  close to spec

DSC_0166_1.jpg

and how the garage looks now, nice when the stock pile starts to slim

DSC_0168_1.jpg

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

It all looks very sexy mate :) 

I love home builds who on earth wants to just open a box eh :thumbsup:

as you said last night on the phone im going to miss this, but cant wait to look through it, and its getting darker now :headbang:

• Like 1

Nice update Mike and interesting to see the additions to the cell.

It's getting ever closer and as you say so are the dark skies which You'll difinitely be ready for when your mirror finally lands.

UTA next up then and truss tubes. I see also you've got the focuser base mounted too. Glad too that the garage is looking tidier :grin:

Centre of Gravity of the edge supports shouldn't cause any problems with those nylon covered bearings. 

Looking very nice and a credit to you fella :headbang:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, faulksy said:

be great to live by you. thanks mert :happy11:

There's a few places up for rent next to my dad, in fact, one cottage is rent free if you do 2 days work a week on the estate :)

Edited by mert
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mert said:

There's a few places up for rent next to my dad, in fact, one cottage is rent free if you do 2 days work a week on the estate :)

when can me and the dob mob come up :happy11:

I think you have inadvertently captured Orion in that picture Mike, just where the mirror would be, I can see his belt and some nebula :happy7: even the trapezium is there :hello:

• Like 3

Great stuff!

Just wondering - when installing/removing the mirror, do you have a means to 'lock' the mirror box in the rocker (in a tipped over position)?

The mirror in my Obsession stays in its sling, but being able to lock the box in a tipped position would be also handy I've been thinking for when I do care about cool down, and it would save having to add the trusses + UTA for balance while I leave it out for a couple of hours with fans on.  The main advantages for me would be avoiding secondary dew issues over that time, and also speeds up getting things back inside if the weather turns! ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, niallk said:

Great stuff!

Just wondering - when installing/removing the mirror, do you have a means to 'lock' the mirror box in the rocker (in a tipped over position)?

The mirror in my Obsession stays in its sling, but being able to lock the box in a tipped position would be also handy I've been thinking for when I do care about cool down, andoon it would save having to add the trusses + UTA for balance while I leave it out for a couple of hours with fans on.  The main advantages for me would be avoiding secondary dew issues over that time, and also speeds up getting things back inside if the weather turns! ?

you will see soon

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Moving on quickly Mike and all now ready for the glass.

Hate to say but you've put the cell in the wrong way up :grin: he he 

imagine that :icon_biggrin:

uta left now, which is part done anyway, just need to fit the spider and find someone to make a shroud

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 1

phoned 00 today, mirror should be done in 10 days, its in the final stages of figuring, that means i will have around 2 weeks to test before elan valley with the boys :happy11:

just need to find someone to make the shroud now

• Like 3