Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike,

I arrived safely after an 8 hour and 400 mile trip..... the joys of star partying!

Well as explained on the phone, the weather. It was very windy on Monday afternoon and through the night. It was bitterly cold, the temp bordering on freezing, but the wind pushed it way beyond, the wind was helpful in getting the tent up.

I think the wind speed was 20mph with gusts to 35mph, the tent was shaking violently at times.

The wind was now died done and it could become another beautiful day. The skies were clear last night, but I didn't put my scope because I was worried that the wind would blow it over. I cannot afford that......

I will be putting the scope up today with the windbreaks in place.

Beautiful sunrise this morning with the Moon in the west.

I have taken a photo before breakfast which when my fingers thaw out I will post.

You and the others are advised to invest in wooly kn**kers....

By the way, remember back to one of the Cumbria Star Parties when the farmer spread cow sh*t on the field, well the farmer here has just started to do that on the bottom field....

Better finish has I will be going for a walk with Lesley and the dog Bud in a few minutes.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Adrian

1 hour ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mike,

I arrived safely after an 8 hour and 400 mile trip..... the joys of star partying!

Well as explained on the phone, the weather. It was very windy on Monday afternoon and through the night. It was bitterly cold, the temp bordering on freezing, but the wind pushed it way beyond, the wind was helpful in getting the tent up.

I think the wind speed was 20mph with gusts to 35mph, the tent was shaking violently at times.

The wind was now died done and it could become another beautiful day. The skies were clear last night, but I didn't put my scope because I was worried that the wind would blow it over. I cannot afford that......

I will be putting the scope up today with the windbreaks in place.

Beautiful sunrise this morning with the Moon in the west.

I have taken a photo before breakfast which when my fingers thaw out I will post.

You and the others are advised to invest in wooly kn**kers....

By the way, remember back to one of the Cumbria Star Parties when the farmer spread cow sh*t on the field, well the farmer here has just started to do that on the bottom field....

Better finish has I will be going for a walk with Lesley and the dog Bud in a few minutes.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Are you a week early or am I week too late?

Hi Ian,

I thought I make the most of it before the Pie Eating Competition!!!!!

I came early, because I will be leaving on Friday 24th to meet up with the DAG (Dacorum Adventure Group) in the Yorkshire Dales... kill two birds with one stone.

The site is in tip top condition, Lesley has just cut the grass, it is lovely and dry underfoot, walked from my usual pitch 19 to the facilities in my sandals and feet while cold are lovely and dry.

It is still cold and windy, but the wind is not as strong as yesterday, so just about to set the astro gear up.

I am wearing my shorts as usual, so things cannot be that bad.

Looking forward to seeing the attenders who arrive before Friday week.

Cheers

Adrian

PS to Mike....... I am the proud owner of a Vango 4 Season -20 sleeping, filled with down and microfibre. (cost £230) I was lovely and warm in it last night.

The Outwell polycotton tent is warm in winter especially with the little heater on.   Incidentally, I spent 38 nights under canvas in 2016....    mad.....

2 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Incidentally, I spent 38 nights under canvas in 2016....    mad.....

I like it - I spent over 50 in a hammock. February was fun - slept in my T-shirt, fleece top wrapped round my head. I'm very grateful to all the geese that made it possible.

Enjoy your week, clear skies.

Hi Lads,

It is still windy, have managed to get my new Kampa Utility ( Command Tent ) up for the first time, plus a wind break, it has taken 1.5 hours... wind not at all helpful today.

I need a soup to warm up....

I might need another Windbreak.  Might shoot off to Newton Stewart in an hour or so.

The sun is shining but the wind from the East is freezing, cannot understand why Mike and Derek from those parts haven't warmed it up.

Speak later.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Folks,

It clouded over by mid afternoon and is currently drizzling gradually getting heavier.

The wind has dropped dramatically from yesterday.

The skies are very dark, but the clouds are obscurring the delightful skies we usually experience at Drumroanin.

I will have to wait for another night...... Mike says that the weather here can be gloomy early evening and after midnight it turns great.... strange....

Anyway, there is always tomorrow.

Cheers

Adrian

7 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

It is still windy, have managed to get my new Kampa Utility ( Command Tent ) up for the first time, plus a wind break, it has taken 1.5 hours... wind not at all helpful today.

I think thats the same as mine Adrian. Think mine is 2mtrs square

kampautilitytent16.jpg

Hi Mike,

I have the mount ready, the scope is still in its case..... The electrics are ready..... the drizzle has stopped for now, but the BBC Weather is suggesting that heavy rain is due soon and the wind to increase to 12 mph over night.

As I am the only one here, I can easily get the extra gear out at night without the need for red lights...... 

I have been watching BBC4, a programme about Blencartha in the Lake District, a very good friend of mine was on it explaining how difficult it was to photograph, we will be meeting up for the annual DAG dinner on Saturday night (25th February). 

Considering the amount that fell over the last few weeks here, the campsite is very dry, I think the strong winds have done a great job in this respective.

Cheers

Adrian

45 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mike,

I have the mount ready, the scope is still in its case..... The electrics are ready..... the drizzle has stopped for now, but the BBC Weather is suggesting that heavy rain is due soon and the wind to increase to 12 mph over night.

As I am the only one here, I can easily get the extra gear out at night without the need for red lights...... 

I have been watching BBC4, a programme about Blencartha in the Lake District, a very good friend of mine was on it explaining how difficult it was to photograph, we will be meeting up for the annual DAG dinner on Saturday night (25th February). 

Considering the amount that fell over the last few weeks here, the campsite is very dry, I think the strong winds have done a great job in this respective.

Cheers

Adrian

I watched that programme on Blencartha too, it was very good!

Hi Lads,

I have known the lady Karen who was doing the photography bit on Blencartha for the last 26+ years, she is a bit of a daredevil!!

Anyway, the wind got up during the night but is dropping at present, nothing like it was on Monday.

The clouds are clearing and blue sky is starting to make an appearance.

I am off for a walk in the woods at the top of the road with Lesley and Bud.

Need to plan today's activities.... where's that bottle of Highland Park?

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Julian,

The weather here as you know is very changeable.... It was windy overnight, at 08:00am the sun was rising but not as good as yesterday, the blue sky started to appear, the wind dropped, but by 09:10am when we took the dog for a walk the sky had gone grey.... now at 11:00am the wind is increasing must be about 12mph but forecasted to reach 16 to 20mph around lunchtime. Out of the wind, the temp is 7º C.  So it is good for shorts. The grass dries very fast in the breeze. 

If the nights were poor, I was hoping to get some Solar viewing, but grey clouds are not appealing.

What time do you think you will be arriving on Saturday?  I am available for tent work etc........

I sent two days at Astrofest in London last week, they have lots of nice goodies there, spoke to a lot of the exhibitors, some more friendly than others.

Only spent £4 on the cloakroom and £23 on a new book from Cambridge Press. Plus Nero's for coffee and McDonalds for lunch. I have seen some brilliant mounts, which I would like to get your opinion.

A friend of mine has just bought an Avalon mount for £5,500.   Plus an Atik mono CCD plus filter wheel for £2,000 direct from Atik at the show (I hope he is still married......)  

Anyway, have a safe and pleasant trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Well I'll be setting off @ 3 - 4 in the morning, so aiming to get well past Brum by 9.....  so all going well, I should be there approx. 13:00, ready to bask in the sun\breeze\rain\sleet\snow (strike out as required) ....

6 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

........ready to bask in the sun\breeze\rain\sleet\snow (strike out as required) ....

Hi Julian,

You could strike out sun, sleet and snow at the moment...

It has just started to rain and the wind is increasing. According to the app Scope Nights the wind will be gusting at 27mph tonight with heavy rain.

I feel its time to retire to the Harbour Inn in Garlieston. Tonight, I think I will give the Gammon etc a try... last time it was very good in November 2016.

Mike,

You asked about the food at the Harbour Inn, it is very good and reasonably priced, Maggie's Homemade Steak Pie with loads of steak in it and Filo Pastry on top, with Chips and peas costs £9.95. I am booked in for Friday's dinner with my friends from the Isle of Whithorn for 20:00pm, trust friend Colin has all the cows milked by then...

Time to change from shorts to long trousers...... once it becomes dark the temp seems to drop, the wind and rain are not helping either....

Hope the weather improves for next week.

Incidentally, given the low cloud I would have thought that the lights from Wigton on the horizon to the North would be more prominent, maybe the lights have been changed.

The caravan site on the A75 seem to have their orange lights turned down, or it could the low clouds are obsuring them.

At the SGL SP at the Lucksall Campsite, on a cloudy or low misty night the lights from Hereford are glowing orange and definitely visible.

The hills across Wigton Bay have not been visible at all today.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day.....

Cheers

Adrian

Archived