Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

Hi Mike,

Rain started to fall more solidly from 18:00 through to 19:25 when it stopped, but the air was still damp with a little drizzle, the southern part of the sky became visible, with Orion in full glory, Sirius, Procyan, Leo, nothing pass that going east, to the south was The Pleiades, Venus was showing through a veil of cloud, nothing showing west of that. All this lasted till 19:40 when the rain started to come down again.

It is raining now and the wind is getting stronger.

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the site report Adrian. 

All sounds very blustery and being up there by ones self at present I too would retire to the Harbour Inn as well for some warmth and company.

Won't be long as the site is welcoming new guests. Keep us updated as I'm still itching for some time away I just hope for one of those stunning galloway nights :wink:

Hi Mike,

I only went to the pub, because you wanted to know how good the food is......

I had Haddock, chips, peas and side salad for £9.95, the gammon is £9.50 and incidentally, I couldn't find that moan, moan, moan, you are talking about on the menu!!!!

The customers would have no reason to moan.

Now back to the weather..... well last night was very windy with showers. Definitely, over 25mph..

This morning, there were patches of blue sky, a Moon in the SW and the Sun shining.... 07:30am.

Boiled eggs for breakfast and at 08:40am it is raining, hopefully just another shower. The good news is:

The hills across Wigton Bay are visible for the 1st time since Monday afternoon;

B) Glorious sunshine over the Lake District;  

Flocks of geese overhead;

Going for another walk with Lesley and Bud, hope the rain stops, it is still windy but only about 10mph.

Trust you will take all the rubbish out of your car and pack in the clear skies instead.......

Take care.

Adrian

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mike,

I only went to the pub, because you wanted to know how good the food is......

I had Haddock, chips, peas and side salad for £9.95, the gammon is £9.50 and incidentally, I couldn't find that moan, moan, moan, you are talking about on the menu!!!!

The customers would have no reason to moan.

Now back to the weather..... well last night was very windy with showers. Definitely, over 25mph..

This morning, there were patches of blue sky, a Moon in the SW and the Sun shining.... 07:30am.

Boiled eggs for breakfast and at 08:40am it is raining, hopefully just another shower. The good news is:

The hills across Wigton Bay are visible for the 1st time since Monday afternoon;

B) Glorious sunshine over the Lake District;  

Flocks of geese overhead;

Going for another walk with Lesley and Bud, hope the rain stops, it is still windy but only about 10mph.

Trust you will take all the rubbish out of your car and pack in the clear skies instead.......

Take care.

Adrian

Have a great time Adrian, unfortunately not going to manage the spring event, hoping to get down to the Autumn/winter gathering. 5 of us and a campervan should prove to be a challenge. Hope we don't need a push again to get us out of the field lol. Anyhow have a wee dram for us and hope to see you all soon.

David

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 21:19, mapstar said:

I think thats the same as mine Adrian. Think mine is 2mtrs square

kampautilitytent16.jpg

Well Adrian, please stop responding to Mike's baiting :happy8:. This appears to be the same tent I have been considering for  my AG12.

Could you measure what the length and the breadth are at 1m above the ground level, please.

BTW I will not be bringing the AG12 next week. I will make do with my HI Gear toilet tent and my Megrez 90.

You must have bought some serious kit as Clearoutside is forecasting loads of rain :hmh:

Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't have a measuring tape handy, so I will sort that out tomorrow in the daylight. It is a Kampa Utility Tent, it quite roomy and the side walls are nearly vertical.

I struggled for nearly an hour yesterday putting it up for the first time, the black corner  brackets at the top have two hole sizes, one for the cross beams and another size for the vertical poles. Once that was rectified, you are left with a big parachute that loves to fly in a very strong breeze. I don't fancy moving it around on a windy night too often!!!

It appears to be better quality than some of the smaller toilet tents, I have done some cooking in it with the door fully hooked up and seems reasonably safe. 

The weather here has on the whole been very changeable, the worst bit is the wind, it just rips through you. We had a shower about 14:30pm and continuous rain from 15:30, the wind is increasing again, with forecasted gusts tonight of 20mph up to midnight, then drops to 4mph. I use the Scope Nights App on my iPad for the weather as I can set the parameters that affect astronomy, like cloud, rain, and wind speed with gusts as well. It is colour coded and is currently showing all red.

I have the mount up but not the scope because the gusts are very strong at times. Monday night was crystal clear, but the winds were over 30mph easily, some times even standing in the gusts was difficult.

As for Mike, he needs competition from the Harbour Inn!

You can have a good look at the Kampa tent next week if it survives these winds.

Cheers

Adrian

18 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mike,

FoooooooooooooooooooD.........

Can you send your clear skies over here.

Thanks

Adrian

The skies here are a bit changeable  but if you want I can send you a quick 2 mins of M42 amongst the trees as I now have PHD2 guiding my Mesu,

Hi Andy,

Measurements for the Kampa Utility tent are as follows...(approx erring slightly on the low side because of blowing in the breeze)

1.0 metre high        160 x 160 cm

1.8 metres high      130 x 130 cm

Centre height to ground 220 cm

There was a heavy dew overnight and it is very misty this morning. The forecasted gusts never happened, unless I just slept through them!

Hope it all clears up today, there was no breeze at 08:00am while cooking breakfast, it is starting to get up now, it might blow the mist away.

See you next week.

Cheers

Adrian

7 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Andy,

Measurements for the Kampa Utility tent are as follows...(approx erring slightly on the low side because of blowing in the breeze)

1.0 metre high        160 x 160 cm

1.8 metres high      130 x 130 cm

Centre height to ground 220cn

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,will now work out the maths and see if I can excercise the mount inside the tent.

How easy is it to walk the tent off the scope?  Is it a 1 or 2 person activity?

Andy

Hi Andy,

An interesting question..... if you opened the door and tied the door up then it should be a one person task on a calm night.

It would nigh impossible if the door was shut! I wouldn't be able to lift it over the scope........

On a windy night it would be a two person task because it has a tendency to fly, it is difficult to hold the tent and hammer the pegs in at the same time. 

On Tuesday afternoon, it took me an hour to assemble and tie the tent down in a stiff breeze, it wanted to fly across the beautiful green grass to the other side of the camp site. Suspect in a back garden there would not be an expanse of ground for the wind to build up speed, but of lots of eddies instead.

It is a nice tent all the same and am glad I bought it,  I intend to use mine at home to house and control the imaging from it, so I will need to be able to move it around.

The rain is now heavy and I am about to go down to the Harbour Inn in Garlieston for dinner.

You can practice moving it if it is windy next week.

Mike,

Had not thought of using it as a kite.......

Cheers

Adrian

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Andy,

An interesting question..... if you opened the door and tied the door up then it should be a one person task on a calm night.

It would nigh impossible if the door was shut! I wouldn't be able to lift it over the scope........

Only the Irish would think of moving it with the door shut.  :homework:

Hi Mike,

News from Drumroanin..... The group Wet, Wet Wet are playing here.....

It started raining solidly yesterday afternoon and is still raining. The grass is wet, with one or two little puddles.

I got soaked walking Bud with Lesley this morning. My shorts have dried out.

I have been to Wigton to the butchers and Co-Op. So have enough food till Monday. The road to Wigton has a large number of pools of water.

It was very windy with driving rain overnight. I got up at 05:21am to check the guide ropes.... everything was fine so went back to bed.

Julian has just arrived and we will be putting his tent up soon. Still a grey day. The wind has dropped to a light breeze now. This should dry the grass  fairly quickly.

The temperature is currently 9º C. and the rain is easing off, so we could be in for a dry spell.....

Hope things are ok.

Cheers

Adrian

PS the local butcher says that the weather is going to improve in the coming days....

Hi Mike,

The present situation at Drumroanin...... 22:10 Saturday evening.

The good news is that it stopped raining about 13:20 this afternoon. There is a medium breeze, which knowing the site, it will be dry by morning.

There were stars visible around 19:30, but the seeing was not great.... they disappeared about 20:00. Then at 22:00 the Plough is visible but again the seeing is not good.

Cannot see Polaris and the breeze is still a problem, it would be great if the wind blew the clouds away and then subsided for the next 8 or 9 days.

At least, things are on the up....

I tried following the geese in the binos earlier about 17:00 as the Sun was sinking up couldn't hold them steady in the breeze. There were numerous patches of blue sky at the time and the Galloway Hills were lit in nice kink sunshine.

At the same time there were hundreds if not thousands of crows congregating above the old aerodrome in Kirkinner, very impressive.

I am tucking in for an early night and trust tomorrow will be better than today.

Cheers

Adrian

57 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mike,

The present situation at Drumroanin...... 22:10 Saturday evening.

The good news is that it stopped raining about 13:20 this afternoon. There is a medium breeze, which knowing the site, it will be dry by morning.

There were stars visible around 19:30, but the seeing was not great.... they disappeared about 20:00. Then at 22:00 the Plough is visible but again the seeing is not good.

Cannot see Polaris and the breeze is still a problem, it would be great if the wind blew the clouds away and then subsided for the next 8 or 9 days.

At least, things are on the up....

I tried following the geese in the binos earlier about 17:00 as the Sun was sinking up couldn't hold them steady in the breeze. There were numerous patches of blue sky at the time and the Galloway Hills were lit in nice kink sunshine.

At the same time there were hundreds if not thousands of crows congregating above the old aerodrome in Kirkinner, very impressive.

I am tucking in for an early night and trust tomorrow will be better than today.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Glad your are aware of the old airfield at Kirkinner. I hav seen it many times on Sat images. Its amazing what you can see if you look:happy11:

Ian, the area has a varied wartime connection, the airfield as you mention and also at various locations they built in secret various types of floating Mulbury harbours which were used to good effect in Europe,

Also if your interested there used to be Sunderland seaplanes made and tested in  the Lake District (Winderemere ).

Cheers 

Mike

Archived