SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dalby Forest Starfest 2014 (Aug 22nd-24th) organised by Scarborough & Ryedale AS

AndyExton

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Andy I am not getting there until Saturday. is it possible to put me with the Sunderland "LOT" 

Hi Michael.

Paul has asked me the same question on Facebook.  When the first SAS member arrives, if they let us know how many pitches you require and we can try and place you all in the same locality. 

We are now sold out!

Anyone who has booked should have received an email confirmation and passes / tickets through the post.  

Andy, when we arrive on Saturday, will it be a case of finding whatever space is left available, also i guess we can park the car on the pitch so to speak

Andy, when we arrive on Saturday, will it be a case of finding whatever space is left available, also i guess we can park the car on the pitch so to speak

Hi Jules if you are not with any group you are more than welcome to join the Sunderland Enclave. 

Yes forecast at the moment looks OK in the early hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Forecast has been improving through the week so hopefully some longer periods of clear skies will occur.

Just got back from a day up there today and around half of the pitches are already occupied so hope those up there tonight get some good gaps between the showers forecast.

Not long now, im hoping to image this comet, if any one wants to offer advice i will be happy to listen, i will be using 1000d at prime focus with 150p ds newt

There will be plenty of people to ask when you get here Jules for advice.  I would recommend seeking out Juergen and Keith as their results from Dalby are always top notch.

Any directions on how to get to the star fest?  :grin:

Hi Jules.

Easiest way is to enter Dalby Forest from the village of Thornton le Dale located on the A170 between Pickering and Scarborough.  Dalby along with RAF Fylingdales are signposted on brown signs.  As you enter the forest you will start to see yellow signage for Starfest.  The signage continues along the forest drive for around 4 miles until you reach Adderstone Field on your left hand side.

Got back home today from Dalby Starfest. Firstly a big thanks to the Organisers-as always professionally done. Secondly a big thanks to the weather. Despite some (heavy at times) rain the two nights i was there there were stars around.especially Saturday. Milky way Andromeda double cluster all Naked eye visibility. Last night it was clear until about midnight but Saturday it was Particularly clear from Midnight. Dew was a problem with it registering about 98%.

Then In no particular order

The quiz was a good laugh with SAS+guests (Sunderland Astro Society) being pipped at the post on the last round-congratulations to the worthy winners.

Myself winning the first choice of prizes on the raffle-Thank to Brian at Astroparts for the dovetail that is now going on my Skywatcher Adventurer.

Thanks to the uninvited guests that enabled us all to be blinded when the police arrived.

Meeting old friends and making new ones.

Skywatcher have a big !!!!!!!!!!!!!! from me-one of the legs on my Skywatcher pier sheared meaning no visual observing with my C11-BIG dummy spit out time when that happened-nearly went home Sunday but glad I did not.

The new NEQ6 wedge kept slipping before the leg broke-THAT is an issue I thought I had resolved by getting the wedge but I am checking It out for user error before I start contacting the manufacturer.

Conversely Skywatcher have a big Thumbs up from me with the Adventurer-Fay if you read this I am more than happy with it.

Lastly none Astro related thanks go to

Thornton le Dale for the scarecrow competition-I recognised a lot of my friends  :p

and the Rocket competition (risk assessment compliant) More competitive than ever-saw the first Meercat launched into space. Neil I WANT your helicopter thing-most impressive-post some pictures that you got from it.

Id like to say a big thank you to all the organisers too, an excellent event wuth great company. Saturday night seemed to be the best night and although not being as crystal clear as it was last year I still managed to observe til 6am when neil in the tent next to me managed to get a shot of venus, juoiter and the moon at just 2% illumination , making the early morning finish worth while.

The highlight for me was seeing the veil nebula with an oiii filter, ive never used one and despite always being sceptical about the benefits of filters when the chap next along the row to me lent be his oiii to try out I coukdnt believe the difference it made ..... so that's getting added to my shopping list.

And finally thanks to andy in the van opposite who made a welcome brew to warm us up in the middle of the night and rustled up a bacon sarnie on sunday which saved me from having to sort out lunch before setting off home.

Another fab starfest and already looking towards next year.

Cheers

We had a great time too (though a warmer sleeping bag is top of my shopping list). It was our first astro camp and we're looking forward to coming next year. It was a great atmosphere :) and we got to see the milky way for the first time.

As organisers we are very happy to see the masses of positive comments for the camp this year starting to come through on here and via Facebook and Twitter.  Always pleasing to have the clear skies and to know that the activities we put together are well received.  Neil and Andys impromptu game of Kubb on the Saturday evening (something new on probably 98% of people at Starfest) was certainly a first for us in Dalby but can see a repeat next year!  Anyone unsure on the game Kubb, please see the British Kubb Players Association website I came across this morning (http://www.kubbuk.org/index.htm).

As website admin for SARAS we will be putting together some galleries in the next few days.  If anyone has any images of the weekend, the various activities and results from imaging, please do share with us.  All images used on the website, as other years will all be credited to the source.  These can be emailed to myself at saras.secretary@gmail.com .

Next years sees the 15th annual Starfest that will also coincide with the 40th year of the society.  So any ideas on something a little special will be happily received as we start planning.

Hope to see you all returning for #DalbyStarfest15.  Dates for your diaries is Friday 14th - Sunday 16th August.  Once again Thursday arrival will be possible for a small additional fee.  Booking will open us usual in early January.  Those who have attended any of the past 3 Starfests will receive a booking form via email, assuming the email address you used to book for Starfest is still valid.

Once again a really successful star party. A big thanks to the organisers.

This has to be the most laid back, friendly, and dark star party on the calendar.

I await my 2015 booking form :)

Dave.

Archived