SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!! not looking good :clouds1:. I've loaded a few bit's in the car but must admit my hearts not in it :dontknow:

Cumawn ya big pansy. Seeing stars and galaxies a bonus, the craic will be mighty, it's time away, change of scenery, get it done!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

Just spoken to Lesley. Forecast for tomorrow is ghastly - 70 - 80 mph winds. Not conducive to towing a caravan.

I'll now be coming up on Friday rather than tomorrow.

Hope you've managed to get the weather sorted by then. After all, what use is you being up there if you can't fix the weather for my visit? :happy7:

Patrick

Hmmm...   Clearoutside is only forecasting 20mh winds.  I am hoping to get there about 1pm.  I may need everyone to hold the tent down while I peg it .:help:

Andy

34 minutes ago, AndyKeogh said:

Hmmm...   Clearoutside is only forecasting 20mh winds.  I am hoping to get there about 1pm.  I may need everyone to hold the tent down while I peg it .:help:

Andy

Hi Andy,

I should be there between 1300-1400, I will certainly give you a hand but I am sure other already there will lend a hand.

Beware of that Geordie bloke. I think he goes by the name Derren or something or other. He is likely to just pull up a chairand watch, while laughing at everyone's efforts?

59 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Cumawn ya big pansy. Seeing stars and galaxies a bonus, the craic will be mighty, it's time away, change of scenery, get it done!

Fear not I hope you're bringing some of that luck you folks are famed for as we definitely don't need the weather from the emerald Isle.

55 minutes ago, AndyKeogh said:

Andy

I stopped using clear outside years ago and the above forecast proves how inaccurate it is although I would like to think it is right :eek:

9 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Ian,  Derren is sitting watching Jim and Dawn as we speak :icon_biggrin:

Mike

Typical! Anyway, car packed, and unlike some people I have heard about there are at least 2 off scopes and spirit recepticles in the car. Not to mention the fact that one half of the rear seats and the front seat is still free ( need to keep the front seat free for stopping at Castle Douglas for Tennents?)

10 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Ian,  Derren is sitting watching Jim and Dawn as we speak :icon_biggrin:

Mike

Mike Due to the weather and the fact im vanning it down im going to abort my set off by a day to avoid the snow so will be down Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday, Could you let Lesley know for me as ill need my leccy pitch, Ill pay for the extra lost day though :headbang:

Cheers bud!

Hi Stuart,

Sorry to see that you are arriving on Friday afternoon, as I am leaving on Friday morning.

See you at the Autumn event.

We are bracing ourselves for the storm, fortified by Highland Park, it is currently windless here, with a few rain drops peppering the tent.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

I'll definitely get to the gathering in the next few days and am really looking forward to meeting everyone again. As usual, I'm not quite sure about my arrival time.... or day. It depends upon how Doris kicks me around the UK! The updates that everyone keeps posting are really encouraging and show that astronomy and events like this aren't just about clear skies. It's also about sharing knowledge and experience. Every time I come to Galloway I learn so much more!

See you soon!

10 minutes ago, OutThereSomewhere said:

I'll definitely get to the gathering in the next few days and am really looking forward to meeting everyone again. As usual, I'm not quite sure about my arrival time.... or day. It depends upon how Doris kicks me around the UK! The updates that everyone keeps posting are really encouraging and show that astronomy and events like this aren't just about clear skies. It's also about sharing knowledge and experience. Every time I come to Galloway I learn so much more!

See you soon!

Look forward to getting a better chat with you this time Johnathon. See you, when we see you.

39 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Jonathan, it will be great to catch up with you as i type rain has increased,have a safe journey and we will see you when you appear,

Regards

Mike 

It's also lashing it down here Mike.

I will get an update tomorrow if you've not already posted anything in the meantime :wink:.

Damian, it is really coming down as we  speak, but as i suspect the crew in the warm room may be awhile, as if any excuses are needed, i will post as soon as i wake.

At least everybody that arrived this afternoon/evening got set up in the dry!

Regards

Mike

ps no wind to speak of.

1 hour ago, Demon Barber said:

Morning All,  rain finally stopped at about 5am ,wind got up 5.30ish,gusty not  sustained gusts,will update later,

Mike

Any of that forecasted snow appeared Mike? 

Bowelling down with rain here and blowing a gale. I can see some blue sky but every cloud around it is black as pitch. 

Very calm almost no wind at present. Unlike the previous night I was not kept awake or woken by any winds. Dry at the moment. I was wondering what had happened to Storm Doris as no real indication here. Then put on the TV and saw the weather elsewhere. So to everyone travelling up or down to the camp take care but OK here.

Derek,,,,,,,,, sorry Derren.

1 hour ago, Demon Barber said:

Damian, sunshine is now forcing me to shut the curtains,no snow on the hills opposite the campsite,light winds,not raining at the mo,take care driving,

Mike

Just spoken to Lesley and she reckons the winds will be with you around 2pm today and that pitching my tent is not recommended.  So tell Darren he will just have to  sit there for another day :happy6:.

Not unpacking the car so we can set off early in the morning.

Until tomorrow then.

Archived