Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello!

PompeyJunglist

Hi everyone.

My name's Gareth and I live in Birmingham, England. This Christmas I received a Skywatcher Explorer 130m f900 after a few blunt hints to my wonderful wife!

It's been cloudy and raining ever since, but I have managed to assemble the telescope outside during a half hour hiatus in this biblical weather. Now I'm waiting for a clear night and the arrival of 'Turn Left At Orion' from Amazon.

I'm really looking forward to getting started and gleaning wisdom and advice from this forum. Down the line it would be great to meet other amateurs in the area, be it through a local astronomical society or this board. Thanking you all in advance for your patience and tips, Happy New Year.

Hi Gareth and I like your username - there has to be a good story behind that one?

Congratulations on getting your scope and hope that the weather will brighten up a bit for you to get out there to build on your experience. If you haven't done so already, you might like to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called Stellarium. It's very popular among many members here and has lots of features to keep you busy, especially when the clouds come in. From a reading perspective, you might also want to consider a book entitled, Turn Left at Orion which contains a lot of great information for someone starting out including both written instructions and maps to help you find some 100 objects that are divided seasonally throughout the year. Hopefully these suggestions should keep you busy and out of harms way!  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi from cloudy and wet Edinburgh - It was already mentioned but I use Stellarium to sort out a list of targets every time before I head out. It really helps to have a plan. I also found getting in touch with a local astro society or group an invaluable learning experience. Clear skies

Andy

Welcome to the lounge!

I actually planned to go for a stargazers trip once I have the possibility to and I pretty much think I'd start with England (I'm from Germany).

So maybe one day we might meet up together as two amateurs  :p

Clear skies and a happy new year to you too!

Hi Gareth and welcome to SGL, I am sure you will be pleased with your new scope, as soon as you are able to use it for any length of time. I am afraid this continuing bad weather cycle, is trying everyone's patience at the moment, enjoy the forum :)

Archived