Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Eclipse Sept. 27 (Should be a dandy!)

Tim99

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm going to hit the sack now as well but it's been a superb event and it's so good that so many have been able to see it :smiley:

I've just said "Hi" to Orion and M42. Lots to look forward to over the coming months :smiley:

I'm jealous of everyone who has clear skies...love the pics everyone is taking.  I've had a total of about 30 seconds of clear skies tonight. lol.  I did manage to get a pic just with a camera..had to ditch the scope and go to an open area.... Hoping it clears up later.. keep those pics coming. awesome.

Unfortunately not visible from my observatory because of houses but I have been watching it from my bedroom window and getting a few photographs. Disappearing behind the trees now and I'm freezing so back to bed. A glorious sight and well worth getting up for. 

Lovely dark orange/crimson eclipse. Been out down a dark lane with the bins and camera (pics will follow when I get them onto the computer), a lovely sight. The moon was so big in the bins, and I saw things not normally available at full moon like M1. And M31 naked eye, even M34 was just visible without aid.

The weather has cooperated for a solar and lunar eclipse in the same year. What are the chances of that in the UK?

Alarm went off at 3 to pick up the maximum and it was incredible!!! I couldn't believe how dim it was and difficult to erase out detail. It was like looking at a huge version of Mars. Bit cloudy for us as it came out of the umbra but that soon cleared providing a superb experience. So glad I made the effort!

What a great night - glad so many people got a chance to see it. I was struck by the diamond  ring kind of effect - like you get with the Sun.  It lasted for a good few minutes and was stunning.  So much to see with the naked eye in the sky also.

Another highlight, but through the telescope, was the Double Cluster at 15x and 3.5 degrees view - more diamonds again  !

andrew

What a great night - glad so many people got a chance to see it. I was struck by the diamond ring kind of effect - like you get with the Sun. It lasted for a good few minutes and was stunning. So much to see with the naked eye in the sky also.

Another highlight, but through the telescope, was the Double Cluster at 15x and 3.5 degrees view - more diamonds again !

andrew

The DC was amazing last night. Transparency was excellent and the seeing quite good so as you say, wonderful tiny stars visible.

Utterly magical. I sat in my garden chair enthralled for over three hours. The 3d effect of a ball of rock in space during totality was wonderful. Through the bins and the 4" refractor it was amazing to see the moon against the background stars. For a while it looked as if one would be occulted but the moon just sailed serenely by. Perhaps the best view was naked eye though. The eerie sight of a full moon but red and somehow small (despite all the supermoon hype) and the rest of the sky full of stars.

At one point I fantasised that it was how Mars might look as you approached it after a rather long journey.

Did anyone else see the bright meteor heading towards Orion as totality approached? I thought that might be one meteor seen by many.

As someone else said the 'diamond ring' effect was particularly beautiful - and out loud 'Wow'! 

The weather was perfect throughout making for an unforgettable experience. 

Archived